Tactical Bass Trombone Case: Quick Deploy Heavy Artillery

ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

After a few years of carrying my gorgeous Cronkhite case on my back, a case of mutes and things, a laptop case with just my bell flare in it and opening doors with my foot I finally went to Big 5 and picked up a double rifle case. Much cheaper though less protective than a pick-n-pluck Pelican 1700... I dig the look but most of all the over abundance of pockets. My straight neckpipe fits in one of the handgun pockets and I bet if I ever get a closed wrap single section like I had thought about it would fit in the other. Sheridan brace, tuner, spray bottle... Too much room, not enough stuff!

my short review is that it feels well made, the zippers are smooth, and the backpack straps are very comfortable even with a Cronkhite zipper bag filled with six mouthpiece pouches weighing me down. The 40" size is the perfect length for my valve tubing wrap, but if you have a more compact and convenient wrap a 36" double rifle case would be the way to go.

ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I think you need to change the permissions on your pictures. I can't see them and your img tags seem to be formatted okay. Interested in seeing what you cooked up!

I set the album to shared but I'm not sure what else to do.

Here's a link https://goo.gl/photos/2ZiNeNTiLJ1F3Ku26
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

I’d be interested in a fiberglass gun case, modified for a bass trombone. I like my cronkhite bags, but they’re an issue on a full bus and ferry. It’s just a massive cattle drive.,..

There were about a dozen choices for hard cases where I was. The only reason I considered a soft case like this and not going for the Pelican 1700 as I originally wanted was because my horns/cases are only either in my car, my hands, on my back, or set in my trombone corner. If I commuted on public transport or even had to walk more than from a lot to whatever venue I'm playing at then that'd be a different case. Pun intended.

I suspect a hard double case with the egg crate foam inside would only need some picking at to make sure there isn't too much pressure on the bell flare and triggers.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

We can see the photos that way  Image

Looks pretty slick. Id be a little concerned about the slide moving around from the looks of it but it also looks like the strap keeps it pretty immobilized.

That straps are pretty snug and so are the padded triangle things in the corners. I put it on and jiggled about and ran around the house and couldn't feel anything move about in the case. I might wrap a towel around the slide when I take it on the road, but I'm confident with it as is for now.

Anyone want to buy a used Cronkhite case? ( kidding, it's still very much in use )

That straps are pretty snug and so are the padded triangle things in the corners. I put it on and jiggled about and ran around the house and couldn't feel anything move about in the case. I might wrap a towel around the slide when I take it on the road, but I'm confident with it as is for now.

Anyone want to buy a used Cronkhite case? ( kidding, it's still very much in use )

Return to “Accessories”