What’s your favorite tuning slide grease?

BrassSection

Re: What’s your favorite tuning slide grease?

Post by BrassSection »

Somehow never switched from Selmer. Been using it since the 60s, with the exception of the few years in the 70s when I didn’t have any horns. No issues.
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

Just seeing this thread and several people talking about anhydrous lanolin being temperature sensitive… I can speak from experience there!

I had a big tub of it in college. One year, I packed my car and drove back to school for band camp…but they’d always have just one dorm open for the first few days for us band kids, before the rest of the dorms opened. This particular year, it wasn’t my dorm, so I didn’t fully unpack my car—just got out the essentials for those first few days.

To make a long story short… the lid to the tub of lanolin had a little crack in it. After a few days sitting in my car in the Alabama heat, it had melted and leaked all over the place… mainly on some socks, if I remember correctly?

So… perhaps it got a bit hotter than it would in normal playing conditions, but I could imagine a gig on a hot sunny day where the metal of your tuning slide heats up more than the air around it…
=Tommy=
Trombone, stats, & precalculus

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Shires dual bore/Thayer/1G
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Hmmm.

A college age kid with a sock full of lanolin in his dorm room?

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :-)
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:24 pm
baileyman wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:02 pm You mean, you want to move the tuning slide?

Nah! I get 'em welded at the factory :twisted: :tongue:
I never move my tuning slide as my horn was tuned at the factory. :-)

Seriously though, I've always used just plain ol' Chapstick. 50+ years, no issues and there's always a tube in my pocket.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

officermayo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:34 pm Hmmm.

A college age kid with a sock full of lanolin in his dorm room?

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :-)
Hahaha…. Ok… never thought of using it for any purpose but tuning slides, though. Just happened to be near the plastic storage thing that had most of my clothes in the car.
=Tommy=
Trombone, stats, & precalculus

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Shires dual bore/Thayer/1G
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

I rarely move my tuning slides much (which is not a secret here). I use the red Bach tuning slide lubricant, and it stays pliable between cleanings so that on those rare occasions that I do move my tuning slide, it moves easily even after the slide sits immobile for a week.

Return to “Maintenance”