Tuba mouthpiece

ttf_Jesse

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Jesse »

Hello
I read somewhere that playing or at least buzzing on a tuba mouthpiece can help improve my trombone tone. I've been playing for 3 years and no tuba experience. What mouthpiece do you guys think I should buy? Thanks
ttf_robcat2075

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

First, I'd be real curious to know where you read that and who said it.

And then I'd be curious to know if they had any more than one anecdotal experience to base it on.
ttf_BGuttman

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

It probably doesn't help unless you want to play tuba as well.

If you really want to do it I'd go for a cheap used one.  Probably on the smallish side.  When I play tuba I will use something like a Bach 25, Schilke Helleberg, or the like.  Hellebergs are a good choice since they tend to have relatively small rims and deep cups.  Easier to play with a trombone embouchure.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I now have a tuba and sousaphone, and I don't know why I didn't try it years ago.  A few minutes a few days a week feels great and seems to keep me in shape nicely.  I don't know specifically if it helps sound or not.

I use a pretty big tuba mouthpiece, my 130R.  Smaller just doesn't work for me.
ttf_BGuttman

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Aug 28, 2017, 03:12PMI now have a tuba and sousaphone, and I don't know why I didn't try it years ago.  A few minutes a few days a week feels great and seems to keep me in shape nicely.  I don't know specifically if it helps sound or not.

I use a pretty big tuba mouthpiece, my 130R.  Smaller just doesn't work for me.

Interesting.  The big ones didn't work for me at all.  I tried a Bach 18 and a Marcinkiewicz H1.  I can sorta make the H1 work but the Bach 18 was a no go.  I have a no-name 25 that worked OK.  Even used it with my bass trombone to simulate a Cimbasso.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

I can't imagine  buzzing a tuba mouthpiece would help your trombone playing much at all..... but it's possible!

I knew a professional player who was monstrously good, who would do his morning buzzing routine on a bach 1 1/2 before plugging his 4G in to play for the rest of the day. He seemed to think it made a big difference.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I used to double tuba and I don't think it did anything for me other than the extra amount of practice on yet another instrument. Perhaps good for airflow and all that. To buzz on a tuba mpc. Try a Kelly or a cheap eBay Bach mpc.
ttf_Matt K

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Tuba does feel really good to play; I really want to pick one up again at some point.  I don't know if you'd get the same benefit from buzzing in a mouthpiece.  There are lots of things people have recommended that are really hard to test because of the placebo and because they may be doing one or many other things at the same time differently than they had in the past that can lead them to draw erroneous conclusions.   Being able to play tuba, on the other hand, has the benefit of being a practical skill that may help you get gigs.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Sorry Matt, you can't have that sousaphone back.
ttf_Jesse

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Jesse »

I'll probably pick up a tuba sometime, but unfortunately it's not happening anytime soon.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

I picked one up yesterday. Then I set it back down.

...Geezer
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Lifting heavy things -- good for muscular endurance while playing the trombone. I like it Geezer!
ttf_Matt K

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Aug 28, 2017, 10:40PMSorry Matt, you can't have that sousaphone back.

Glad it's working for you and equally glad my wife doesn't complain about it taking up 25% of our apartment space  Image
ttf_donn

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by ttf_donn »

Quote from: Jesse on Sep 01, 2017, 07:11AMI'll probably pick up a tuba sometime, but unfortunately it's not happening anytime soon.

It could be surprisingly affordable.  A nice step down from the trombone is a "bass tuba" in Eb, and you can get into that with an old American or English beater with 3 valves, for less than $500.  I know that's the same as $5000 if you don't have it, and more generally speaking it only reinforces the rule that tubas tend to be pretty expensive for band instruments, but just want to point out a short term path that isn't terribly expensive.  That tuba won't play "the rep", but if you verify before buying that it plays in tune, it can serve as a powerful bass in a small ensemble, and it should also be a nice enough solo instrument.  Makes a lot more sense than wasting time and money on a euphonium.
ttf_Radar

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Radar »

I actually play more Tuba these days than tenor trombone, and an equal amount to Bass trombone.  I find that playing Tuba does little for my trombone chops, but I do find that Trombone playing gives me more control of pitch for my Tuba playing.  Playing Tuba does help in one respect, I have much more air support and control after playing Tuba for a while than I did when I was only playing trombone and Euphonium. 
ttf_Radar

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Radar »

Quote from: Radar on Sep 02, 2017, 06:57AMI actually play more Tuba these days than tenor trombone, and an equal amount to Bass trombone.  I find that playing Tuba does little for my trombone chops, but I do find that Trombone playing gives me more control of pitch for my Tuba playing.  Playing Tuba does help in one respect, I have much more air support and control after playing Tuba for a while than I did when I was only playing trombone and Euphonium.
A Bach 18 is a pretty standard size Tuba mouthpiece, a Bach 24AW is also a pretty common choice, as well as the Conn Helleberg.  Any of these would be a good starting place for someone getting into tuba for the first time, and they are readily available for $70-$80 even cheaper used if you watch E-bay.

<Edit: fixed quote>
ttf_Radar

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Radar »

Quote from: Radar on Sep 02, 2017, 06:57AMI actually play more Tuba these days than tenor trombone, and an equal amount to Bass trombone.  I find that playing Tuba does little for my trombone chops, but I do find that Trombone playing gives me more control of pitch for my Tuba playing.  Playing Tuba does help in one respect, I have much more air support and control after playing Tuba for a while than I did when I was only playing trombone and Euphonium.
A Bach 18 is a pretty standard size Tuba mouthpiece, a Bach 24AW is also a pretty common choice, as well as the Conn Helleberg.  Any of these would be a good starting place for someone getting into tuba for the first time, and they are readily available for $70-$80 even cheaper used if you watch E-bay.

<Edit: fixed quote>

Return to “Mouthpieces”