Feedback on Conn 4h

ttf_mark fellows

Feedback on Conn 4h

Post by ttf_mark fellows »

Recently I drove to an Oregon City music shop and played several "jazz" trombones, a Selmer triple threat (beautiful), a King Siversonic 2B, a Bach 36, and a Conn 4H from the late 50's or early 60's. I was surprised but the 4H blew the others away. I am not sure that any of the others did anything better than the 4H. I was using the same mouthpiece for all.

In fairness, I grew up on Conns and own my original 1966 88H, as wll as a 48h, two 44h's and have enjoyed owning a 62H 12h and 72H in the past. So I like the way Conns play. Several 6h's did not impress me much and I kind of looked at the 4H as another nothing special. I think I have played at least a couple in the past without noticing much.

Just interested in opinions on this model. Inconsistant based on time of production?
ttf_BGuttman

Feedback on Conn 4h

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The 4H goes back a LONG way.  It was a Big Band horn.  Worked great in the days of all acoustic bands.  I've put 4H's with a bunch of music teachers who play smaller brass (one a trumpet player and one a horn player) and they loved them.  Good lead horn.  Not so good on 3rd in Concert Band or Orchestra.
ttf_fwbassbone

Feedback on Conn 4h

Post by ttf_fwbassbone »

I'm pretty much exclusively a bass trombonist but every now and then I'll do a dixie gig or a show.  For these I use an old 4H from the late 40's.  I like it and for some reason it lets me go from bass to pea shooter without too much drama.  I use a Bach Corp (no period) 6 1/2AL.  Talking about it makes me almost wish I had a few more pea shooter type gigs, or not.
ttf_oslide

Feedback on Conn 4h

Post by ttf_oslide »

Quote from: mark fellows on Sep 05, 2017, 11:51AM---snip---
Just interested in opinions on this model. Inconsistant based on time of production?

Ben Griffin gave a great historical overview here

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,51317.msg722712.html#msg722712

ttf_oslide

Feedback on Conn 4h

Post by ttf_oslide »

Quote from: mark fellows on Sep 05, 2017, 11:51AM---snip---

Ben Griffin gave a great historical overview here

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,51317.msg722712.html#msg722712

Return to “Instruments”