Selling a horn on the forum

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Image I am trying to sell an old horn in order to help pay for a new horn I just bought, and I want to sell if on the forum. How would I go about doing that? I am a brand new member and this is my very first time interacting with the site.

ttf_sacfxdx

Post by ttf_sacfxdx »

go to classified section and add a post.  Add as much detail as possible.  Blank out last 2-3 numbers in the serial number.  Supply pictures (link is OK).  Specify your asking price and list any defects/blemishes on the horn.  Be sure to include any contact preferences (Personal Message, email, phone number).

Check back regularly for any questions.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

As long as you don't bump posts, you're probably okay. General rule: it's a good idea to use PayPal because of buyer/seller protection but it isn't required. People here are pretty trustworthy but we get the occasional dispute. Using PayPal (not as a gift  Image, costs more money but also ensures that things go smoothly for the most part.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Quote from: Matt K on Sep 06, 2017, 09:39AMAs long as you don't bump posts, you're probably okay. General rule: it's a good idea to use PayPal because of buyer/seller protection but it isn't required. People here are pretty trustworthy but we get the occasional dispute. Using PayPal (not as a gift  Image, costs more money but also ensures that things go smoothly for the most part.

Matt K is 100% correct with using Paypal. Do not ever accept Money Gram, Western Union, Bank Transfers, Personal Checks, or even Bank Checks anymore. Unless someone pays you cash locally use Paypal.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Quote from: wgwbassbone on Sep 06, 2017, 09:52AMMatt K is 100% correct with using Paypal. Do not ever accept Money Gram, Western Union, Bank Transfers, Personal Checks, or even Bank Checks anymore. Unless someone pays you cash locally use Paypal.

+1  Image
ttf_Pteranabone

Post by ttf_Pteranabone »

One of the posters recommended blanking out digits of the serial number.  Why is that done?
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Theoretically someone could claim it is stolen to the police and they'd retrieve the item and at least tie you up legally.  I've personally never known this to happen, but it at least passes the smell test to me and is such a low cost solution that even if it isn't the real problem, you can get all of the information you need from a serial number just from the first few digits most of the time (the age of the horn)... so the actual cost of doing so is literally only the mental cost of replacing several numbers with Xs in your post.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Quote from: Pteranabone on Yesterday at 05:45 PMOne of the posters recommended blanking out digits of the serial number.  Why is that done?

There is an old wives' tale that says it is bad.  Total nonsense...
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Quote from: greenbean on Yesterday at 07:21 PMThere is an old wives' tale that says it is bad.  Total nonsense...

Nope. Hot instruments are always found on online forums. It’s just not sexy enough for it to show up in mainstream news. Post pictures, provide a good narrative, and give a bill of sale with the sn#.
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Quote from: greenbean on Yesterday at 07:21 PMThere is an old wives' tale that says it is bad.  Total nonsense...

Nope. Hot instruments are always found on online forums. It’s just not sexy enough for it to show up in mainstream news. Post pictures, provide a good narrative, and give a bill of sale with the sn#.

Return to “Instruments”