Tomasi

ttf_paulyg

Tomasi

Post by ttf_paulyg »

Passages in treble clef. Why is this acceptable?

ttf_bonearzt

Tomasi

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Are you going to tell him he's wrong?  Could also blame the copyist or the publisher.

AND beats all those ledger lines!

Eric

ttf_BillO

Tomasi

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: paulyg on Yesterday at 12:07 PMPassages in treble clef. Why is this acceptable?

Are the sections in treble clef transposed?
ttf_djdekok

Tomasi

Post by ttf_djdekok »

The Creston Fantasy, if I'm not mistaken, has several passages in the opening section that are in treble clef (and for good reason  Image).  Just learn it.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Tomasi

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Hahaha!!! Why not?
ttf_trb420

Tomasi

Post by ttf_trb420 »

Quote from: djdekok on Yesterday at 12:58 PMThe Creston Fantasy, if I'm not mistaken, has several passages in the opening section that are in treble clef (and for good reason  Image).  Just learn it.

My copy is almost exclusively in tenor (with some low sections going into bass)
ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

Tomasi

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

The treble clef passages are in Concert pitch in the actual octave that they sound in (our high C is third space) in the Tomasi, and the Creston doesn't use treble clef - just bass and tenor.

When I played the Tomasi, I too didn't enjoy seeing the treble clef - just not what we see on a daily basis. There's plenty of tenor clef in the part, and he could have just used that for the couple of treble clef passages. The notation is more like what is used when writing for the cello where they use those 3 clefs - our 3rd clef is usually alto. Like someone else said, it could be the publisher/editor that chose that notation.

You just have to suck it up and practice those sections slowly at first. By the time you're getting ready to perform the piece, the treble clef notation will be the least of your worries. There's not that much treble clef in the orchestral or solo literature, but there is a little bit - enough to warrant getting at least a bit familiar with it. What I hate is that there are more and more lousy Pops arrangements that use it, because the arrangers aren't aware of tenor clef. Same guys that write below the lowest notes on the instrument for some of the woodwinds and strings. Tomasi, at least, knew how to write, and wrote us a very nice Concerto. I'll do a little extra work to sort out a notation that I'm not as comfortable with for that.

Jim Scott

ttf_BillO

Tomasi

Post by ttf_BillO »

If it's not transposed it should not be too horrible.  Another solution might be to download something like MuseScore and transcribe it into whatever clef you like.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Tomasi

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Quote from: paulyg on Yesterday at 12:07 PMPassages in treble clef. Why is this acceptable?

How is it not? Hahaha, doesn't it go up to  Image Image?
ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

Tomasi

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

Highest note in the Tomasi is a "D", but there are a few of them, and some are at the end of a long slow passage up to it.

Tenor clef would have worked well, but that's not the case, so practice solves the issue.

Jim Scott
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Tomasi

Post by ttf_Andrew Meronek »

If you're still fumbling with reading the notes by the time you perform this, you're in trouble.

ttf_LizM

Tomasi

Post by ttf_LizM »

I played Omega (chamber group with percussion solo), by Xenakis and it was in bass, tenor, and treble if I recall correctly. The clef choices didn't make a lot of sense, but they're just notes.

Being able to read C treble clef is great for playing off piano or vocal music (At pitch or down an octave), and a great way to work on your sight singing melodies.
ttf_M.R.Tenor

Tomasi

Post by ttf_M.R.Tenor »

It is the most commonly used music clef by a wide margin, much clearer to read/copy/print than leger lines. More goes into the sheet than just readability
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Tomasi

ttf_harrison.t.reed

Tomasi

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”