Question about gooseneck

ttf_anonymous

Question about gooseneck

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I acquired an 1959 Olds keyed trombone, the gooseneck and slide coupler have been removed form the instrument, the gooseneck has a strange taper to it similar to the neck on a rifle casing. Has anyone seen this before?

ttf_Doug Elliott

Question about gooseneck

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I'm really not sure what you mean.  Pictures would be useful but you can't post them here directly because this forum's storage is full, you can only post a link to them like on Dropbox or another site.

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,75147.0.html
ttf_Blowero

Question about gooseneck

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Do you mean it looks something like this?

If that's the case, what you have is a raw part that hasn't been trimmed. The end is shrunk down so that the tube can be drawn over a mandrel, then that end is cut off before it is installed.
ttf_Travisg96

Question about gooseneck

Post by ttf_Travisg96 »

Quote from: Blowero on Sep 19, 2017, 05:49PMDo you mean it looks something like this?

If that's the case, what you have is a raw part that hasn't been trimmed. The end is shrunk down so that the tube can be drawn over a mandrel, then that end is cut off before it is installed.

Yes that is exactually what it looks like. so I just need to calculate how much of the pipe I need for the slide to fit correctly.
ttf_bonearzt

Question about gooseneck

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Sounds like the original was damaged beyond repair & someone tried to make a new one.

Measure the inside diameter of the slide receiver and also the tuning slide receiver & match to the outer diameter of the new pipe.
Might match up to the needed length,  but I wouldn't bet on it,  you'll have to fudge somewhere.

Eric

ttf_Blowero

Question about gooseneck

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Quote from: Travisg96 on Sep 20, 2017, 01:47AMYes that is exactually what it looks like. so I just need to calculate how much of the pipe I need for the slide to fit correctly.
The receiver would connect to the bell brace, so the neckpipe length should be the exact amount to span the distance between receiver and small tuning slide tube ferrule, plus the amount of insertion on both ends. Are you planning on assembling this yourself?
ttf_Euphanasia

Question about gooseneck

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

If I understand you correctly, what has been replaced is the tube between the receiver and the valve cluster. If that's the case, you're looking at the most fragile and most frequently destroyed part of an Olds valve trombone. The tube takes a dog-leg bend, and needs to end roughly 3/4 of an inch below the point where it exits the valve casing. Do you have a bent tube there, or did someone put in a straight tube? Can you provide pictures?
ttf_Travisg96

Question about gooseneck

Post by ttf_Travisg96 »

The tube i
I am replacing is the one that comes from the bottom of the tuning slide to the connection with the slide.
ttf_Euphanasia

Question about gooseneck

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: Travisg96 on Sep 21, 2017, 09:21PMThe tube i
I am replacing is the one that comes from the bottom of the tuning slide to the connection with the slide.

That's a pretty standard item. I'm pretty sure one from an Ambassador would have the same dimensions. I could measure against an Olds valve trombone bell and see if they're similar. PM me if you're interested in an Ambassador replacement neckpipe and receiver. I've got a few of them.
ttf_Euphanasia

Question about gooseneck

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: Travisg96 on Sep 21, 2017, 09:21PMThe tube i

That's a pretty standard item. I'm pretty sure one from an Ambassador would have the same dimensions. I could measure against an Olds valve trombone bell and see if they're similar. PM me if you're interested in an Ambassador replacement neckpipe and receiver. I've got a few of them.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”