Apres Une Lecture de Goldoni

ttf_Zandit75

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Hi everyone,
Just looking over the solo test pieces for the 2018 Australian National Band Championships.
For the Open Bass Trombone piece, it is Apres Une Lecture de Goldoni, written by Alain Margoni.
Youtube is letting me down by not having a recording of the piece, so I was wondering if anyone here has played this piece and could offer some insight to its technicality and style. Please also advise it's range if possible.
I've found the sheet music available on eBay, and that offers a snapshot of the first page of accompaniment, so I get to see the first 7-8 bars!
Thanks in advance.  Image
ttf_Zandit75

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

No one has laid eyes on this piece? Image
Might just have to bite the bullet and order it in.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I'd bet it's brand new.  Brass Bands often commission new orks for contest prizes.  Part of the challenge is to figure out the piece for yourself.

Good luck and let us know how well you did.
ttf_cozzagiorgi

Post by ttf_cozzagiorgi »

Yeah it's brand new... from 1964 Image
ttf_Catastrophone

Post by ttf_Catastrophone »

I've played it. As I remember there's nothing particularly high in it but there are some large jumps in both directions. Breath control is also a challenge as there are some very long phrases. I'll have a look for it later and see if I can fill in a few more details.
ttf_Zandit75

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Quote from: Catastrophone on Sep 22, 2017, 04:30AMI've played it. As I remember there's nothing particularly high in it but there are some large jumps in both directions. Breath control is also a challenge as there are some very long phrases. I'll have a look for it later and see if I can fill in a few more details.

Thanks Mate, that is most appreciated!
ttf_Catastrophone

Just dug it out Image

At the top it says ‘Fantasy in the style of the 18th century’. As you’d expect it is a very melodic piece. Range is pedal G# to high F#. As I remembered there are some massive jumps at fairly high speed. The main feature of the piece is a jump of a 12th up or down at the beginning of a phrase. Lots of speeding up and slowing down and short cadenza-ish sections too.

The main challenges are breath control in some super long phrases, accuracy in those large jumps, intonation, and dynamic range.

I hope that is of some help.
ttf_Zandit75

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Thank you very much Cat, most appreciated.
Sounds like it's going to be a challenge, I certainly don't class myself as an accomplished player, but it will be worth a look at least.
Thanks again.
ttf_Zandit75

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

It's amazing what you can find using google image search!
Here's the first page of the piece.
Cat, are you able to advise how much more there is to the piece? Pages wise I mean.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Two pages in total.
ttf_Zandit75

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Thanks Jeff, most appreciated. Image
ttf_Catastrophone

I’m not sure posting copyrighted sheet music is inside the forum rules......
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Catastrophone on Yesterday at 08:01 AMI’m not sure posting copyrighted sheet music is inside the forum rules......

It's part of the work and for illustration.

Had he posted the whole work for free, that's a copyright violation.
ttf_Zandit75

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Quote from: Catastrophone on Yesterday at 08:01 AMI’m not sure posting copyrighted sheet music is inside the forum rules......

Does copyright exist, when it's freely available on Google images?
I'm not trying to start any trouble here, I'm just curious to know how the law sits with that.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I don't know the status of its copyright in Australia; it varies from country to country.  In the US, basically anything published after 1923 has a perpetual copyright (courtesy of the Walt Disney Company, who want to keep Mickey Mouse under copyright, and he was first thought up in 1923).  It is possible that the piece is not under copyright at all.  If it is under copyright then Google Images is in violation if the whole work is on Google Images (we only saw one of two pages).
ttf_fsung

Post by ttf_fsung »

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 11:09 AMIt's part of the work and for illustration.

Had he posted the whole work for free, that's a copyright violation.

Come on, Bruce. That scan doesn't meet ANY of the tests to qualify as fair use, and you know it.

As a mod, if you want to give it a pass, that's your privilege, but don't throw out some completely BS "logic" to salve you conscience.

Quote from: Zandit75 on Yesterday at 04:19 PMDoes copyright exist, when it's freely available on Google images?
I'm not trying to start any trouble here, I'm just curious to know how the law sits with that.

The copyright exists and continues to remain in force until it expires (life of composer + 50 or 70 years, depending on country), or until the copyright holder explicitly places it in the public domain.

Some copyright holders grant publishers and/or vendors permission to post excerpts of their work in order to encourage sales, but the permission does not affect the validity or enforceablility of the copyright. The fact that you can VIEW an image the excerpt on a publisher or vendor's website does NOT grant you permission to reproduce (copy) or republish (post) the image elsewhere.
ttf_Zandit75

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Thanks for all the comments guys, most appreciated.
Only the first page was shown on google images, and more than likely, it was only there to help sell the item on some website.
I'll edit the post to remove the image, just to cover all bases.

Edit:
Ahh, there seems to be a time limit before editing is blocked.
Can one of the mods please assist with removing the image?
Thanks in advance.
ttf_Zandit75

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Thanks for all the comments guys, most appreciated.
Only the first page was shown on google images, and more than likely, it was only there to help sell the item on some website.
I'll edit the post to remove the image, just to cover all bases.

Edit:
Ahh, there seems to be a time limit before editing is blocked.
Can one of the mods please assist with removing the image?
Thanks in advance.

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”