Farmout of Relacqering

ttf_Pteranabone

Farmout of Relacqering

Post by ttf_Pteranabone »

Do most music techs associated with retail music stores farm out relacqer jobs, and presumable charge extra rather than giving a straight pass through?

I assume increasing air permitting costs and hassle have been a factor.
ttf_Driswood

Farmout of Relacqering

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Quote from: Pteranabone on Sep 25, 2017, 08:02PMDo most music techs associated with retail music stores farm out relacqer jobs, and presumable charge extra rather than giving a straight pass through?

I assume increasing air permitting costs and hassle have been a factor.

A guy here in St Petersburg FL sends all his lacquer work to Larry Mizell at Mizell Music, Potomac ST, Hagerstown MD. (301) 791-1305 in case anyone is interested.

Dillon sends a lot of their repair work to him. He's good.

When I lived up there, Larry was the only guy I trusted with my slide. He worked on my horns for over 30 years. Then I moved.....  Image

Jerry Walker
ttf_bigbandaxes

Farmout of Relacqering

Post by ttf_bigbandaxes »

For years I ran the brass department at Heids Music in Appleton Wisconsin and did all the lacquer work inhouse. I loved that kind of work. Then I moved home to Ohio, started my own repair business, and never found  somewhere to outsource my polish and lacquer work to that I was satified with. My last major build was to modofy a 20H Conquest for myself to play in retirement. I left it raw brass and put 3 coats of polyurathane from a rattle can on the gooseneck so it wouldn't turn my neck green!
ttf_gregs70

Farmout of Relacqering

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: bigbandaxes on Dec 02, 2017, 01:01PMFor years I ran the brass department at Heids Music in Appleton Wisconsin and did all the lacquer work inhouse. I loved that kind of work. Then I moved home to Ohio, started my own repair business, and never found  somewhere to outsource my polish and lacquer work to that I was satified with. My last major build was to modofy a 20H Conquest for myself to play in retirement. I left it raw brass and put 3 coats of polyurathane from a rattle can on the gooseneck so it wouldn't turn my neck green!

Hey, I'm in North Royalton!  Do you still have a repair business? 
ttf_bigbandaxes

Farmout of Relacqering

Post by ttf_bigbandaxes »

Quote from: gregs70 on Dec 02, 2017, 07:08PMHey, I'm in North Royalton!  Do you still have a repair business? 

Sorry, I just retired after 40 years in the biz. Only working on my own stuff.
ttf_gregs70

Farmout of Relacqering

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: bigbandaxes on Dec 03, 2017, 03:06PMSorry, I just retired after 40 years in the biz. Only working on my own stuff.

Too bad!  I have two local shops I use, Royalton Music and Greg Moore.  Any suggestions for other local shops?
ttf_gregs70

Farmout of Relacqering

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: bigbandaxes on Dec 03, 2017, 03:06PMSorry, I just retired after 40 years in the biz. Only working on my own stuff.

Too bad!  I have two local shops I use, Royalton Music and Greg Moore.  Any suggestions for other local shops?

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”