Slide is "Slippery When Dry." Rough when wet.

ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

How's that for backwards? I'm working on a Bach Aristocrat owned by a local middle school parent. The slide was kind of ratchety, with an almost gritty feeling. The owner had been using slide oil, so I assumed it had left deposits. I cleaned it with a tightly-wrapped mandrel and gave it back to him dry and very fast and smooth. I told him to start using slide cream. He took it home, then called me and told me it was still rough. He thought the problem was a few small dents near the handle, but it's along the entire length of the slide. I cleaned it again, and it was smooth and fast. Then I lubed it with a small amount of Trombotine and water, and it became gritty again. I cleaned it again and it was smooth when dry, but as soon as I used just plain water, it got rough.

This is an Ebay horn, so I have no idea what was done to it before it was sold, but it looks like it's in good condition. I've checked the alignment, heated the crook to release any tension in the tubes, and used rollers and a mandrel to remove the dents.

What could possibly make a slide work rougher when it's wet?
ttf_sonicsilver

Post by ttf_sonicsilver »

Quote from: Euphanasia on Sep 29, 2017, 08:19AMWhat could possibly make a slide work rougher when it's wet?

Some kind of deposit that is water-soluble? Not noticeable when it's cleaned and dried, but it comes loose when lubricated. I can't think what that actually might be though.
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

I'll try the old "Lime-A-Way" chem clean and see if that accomplishes anything.
ttf_Stretch Longarm

Post by ttf_Stretch Longarm »

Try a different lube? Maybe Trombontine just isn't right for it? I had horrible issues with some lubes, but Superslick works great for my 3B; however my section mates have bad experience with Superslick with their 3Bs (they both use differnt lubes), so I'm of the opinion you just have to try combinations to find the right mix. Maybe it's the metal, surface scrathces, old deposits, saliva characteristics, that Sugar Daddy you had for lunch...who knows?
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

I went into the slide with a borescope, and I think I found the problem. There's pitting in the brass all the way up and down the outer slide. In a couple of places it looks like the beginning of red rot. This is on a horn that looks to be no more than ten years old.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

My Olds recording has been that way since I got it at age 8.  I guess I need to take a look with a borescope.

ttf_Whitbey

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

My Bach 50 slide had oxidation and maybe red rot on the inside of the outers. Tech said in early 90's to buy a new one.

I took a dent rod with a very fine wet sanding sand paper from an automotive paint shop and wet sanded the inner slide. I repeatedly cleaned the inside with Brasso during the sanding process. I stripped the outside with Brasso and then wet sanded it too. The outside go a medium thick layer of clear matte lacquer. Took me three tries to get enough. The Lacquer sealed the pin holes and slide move real nice. Not like a new Edwards but better then most older horns. I did have the slide re-aliened after beating but it was barely off.  I was careful. 20 years later the horn is still a great horn that can rattle the rafters. 
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: Whitbey on Sep 30, 2017, 07:14AM

I took a dent rod with a very fine wet sanding sand paper from an automotive paint shop and wet sanded the inner slide.

I have a similar plan. I want to smooth the edges of the pits. I'm not sure sandpaper will get in there, so I plan to use one of these:

I have a drill rod with a hole drilled in the end. I can solder the flex hone into it and run it down the slide using an electric drill.
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: Whitbey on Sep 30, 2017, 07:14AM

I took a dent rod with a very fine wet sanding sand paper from an automotive paint shop and wet sanded the inner slide.

I have a similar plan. I want to smooth the edges of the pits. I'm not sure sandpaper will get in there, so I plan to use one of these:

I have a drill rod with a hole drilled in the end. I can solder the flex hone into it and run it down the slide using an electric drill.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”