How do I best de-stink a bunch of music?

ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Have 16 thick folders of big band charts, about 175 pieces each.  The prior owner kept them in his trunk and had spilled gasoline in it.  They stink, some worse than others.  I have parked them outside in the sun to help bake out the smell, but need something faster.  A parked the stack outside in the sun all day, hoping it would bake out, but no luck.  Outside of taking each book apart and laying the pages out individually in the sun, any ideas? 
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Try used (or new) drier sheets--the kind you use when drying laundry.

Not sure if these will work with a gasoline smell, but it couldn't hurt to try.

I bought a complete soloist's library. Some of the music had a strong mildew smell.  I put two drier sheets in each of the legal boxes in which the music was stored. After a couple weeks, the smell was gone.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Photocopier will do the trick Image
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: Full Pedal Trombonist on Sep 30, 2017, 10:19AMPhotocopier will do the trick Image

Yeah, average 2 pages per chart x 15 charts x 175 to 200 charts = blowing up my copier!
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Post by ttf_Andrew Meronek »

I've never tried to do that with paper. Online help seems to revolve around using dishwashing detergent for other materials, which means that in order to not have wet paper dry to each other, you may not be able to get around laying out each sheet, whether you sun-bake it or do something more aggressive.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I haven’t had any experience with unstinking paper soaked with gas. That residue really has to be washed out or scrubbed off.
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Post by ttf_Andrew Meronek »

The sun should do the trick eventually, although it will also generally bleach the paper over time. Strong UV light breaks lots of stuff down.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

The copying machine route is probably less labor and time intensive than the archival expert one-sheet-at-a-time methods you'd have to resort to to get the gas out of the paper.

ttf_Bruce the budgie

Post by ttf_Bruce the budgie »

I believe naphtha can be usd to de-grease paper without distorting the web of it. That's essentially Ronsonol-type lighter fluid, cheaper at the hardware store as VM&P naphtha, but still ten or twelve US bucks a gallon. One page at a time in a photo developing tray? Messy, laborious, a lot of hazardous fumes and leftovers, with no guarantee of reducing the smell to an acceptable level.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

String up a clothesline in your back yard, check the weather to make sure there won't be any wind or rain coming and then put a few sheets out there for a few days and see how much just airing them out helps. Don't let them blow away!

It might be enough but probably not. If it is, you'll need to store your aired-out sheets separately from the still-smelly ones until they are all done.

If this is a substantial investment you are trying to save I think scanning them and reprinting them is your better bet.

ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

Baking soda? Just not sure if it would have a negative effect on paper or ink, so check first. It's one of the ingredients that was recommended online to use when a skunk sprayed my dog - it ought to help with a gasoline smell. By the way, it worked well on the dog with peroxide and liquid soap, but for obvious reasons, I'd stay away from the liquid ingredients.

Jim Scott
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

You could probably farm out having it scanned to a place that specializes in it.  If the band makes money then I'd recommend seeing if the band wants to chip in a portion of gig money for the next x gigs to get it taken care of.  I'd bet you could get it scanned for less than you think if you're willing to put in maybe a few hours of negotiating with some of the firms that specialize in that kind of thing. (OneDollarScan, Blueleaf, etc.)
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Thanks for all the responses.  This is an amateur band, maybe two or three paid gigs a year (which I hope to increase!).
The books weren't soaked in liquid gas, the guy who ran the band before me spilled gas in his trunk and and also stored the music in his trunk. Looks like I'll try just airing out the worst book and see what happens.
ttf_RMTrombone

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

Gasoline vapor is explosive and very dangerous! My cousin was killed trying to start a BBQ with gasoline. A bad way to die.
In my opinion, strong enough to stink is strong enough to burn.
I would keep the music outdoors, away from buildings and ignition.
Again, in my opinion, no cleaning or deodorizing is going to make the gasoline less flammable.
As an experiment, put a few blank sheets out on a sidewalk and see how long it takes the gas to completely evaporate and not stink.

ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I bet counterfeiters know how.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Gasoline is a mixture of hydrocarbons.  They are generally volatile.  Problem is if they adsorb on the paper they will evaporate much more slowly.

If it doesn't smell too bad, it probably won't burn.  You might be able to get the stuff to desorb by making a little "oven" out of a black painted box and leaving it in the sun.  The inside of the box will get very warm but probably not hot enough to ignite any remaining hydrocarbons.  If you are really concerned, put a meat thermometer through the box wall.  If it gets over 150 degrees F, you can shade the box.

Some of the smell may be so difficult to remove that copying is the only solution.  Some of the more obnoxious smells from gasoline are very persistent.

Good luck.

Incidentally, scanning 6000 sheets can be done.  A little at a time.
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: BGuttman on Sep 30, 2017, 06:58PM
Incidentally, scanning 6000 sheets can be done.  A little at a time.

With a sheet fed scanner, it's not nearly as much work as one would expect.  Could be worth the price of the scanner.

If the charts are two-up on B-size paper, you'll need a scanner that can handle that.  I use an Epson WF-7520.  Very happy with it.
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: RMTrombone on Sep 30, 2017, 05:27PMGasoline vapor is explosive and very dangerous! My cousin was killed trying to start a BBQ with gasoline. A bad way to die.
In my opinion, strong enough to stink is strong enough to burn.
I would keep the music outdoors, away from buildings and ignition.
Again, in my opinion, no cleaning or deodorizing is going to make the gasoline less flammable.
As an experiment, put a few blank sheets out on a sidewalk and see how long it takes the gas to completely evaporate and not stink.

What BGuttman said.  I am a Certified Safety Professional, been doing insurance loss prevention/safety inspections for 30 years.  Vapor is dangerous, but the odor off these is not gasoline vapor like off a liquid.  Those that stink worst might burn a little faster than regular paper, but it is not a fire hazard.   
ttf_RMTrombone

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

I concede that I am paranoid about gasoline. I spent a lot of money on battery powered yard tools (that have their own dangers) to avoid keeping gas in my home.
So Greg, it's been 24 hours, has has the odor abated? How much liquid gas was spilled on the music? I assume you have sorted-out the worst books.
I found a web site that recommended baking powder, a la refrigerator.
Then I remembered that automotive emissions systems use a charcoal canister to capture gasoline vapor (and odor). Found this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Activated-Freshener-Deodorizer-Neutralizer/dp/B01F4MQPG6?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJ2F6RDUSIYCWQMFQ&tag=sa-sym-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01F4MQPG6

I think this would do the trick.
ttf_Stewbones43

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Could you scan them to an IPad?

Or just learn them Image

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_Steve Foote

Post by ttf_Steve Foote »

Put it all in the trunk of your car, separated as much as possible and maybe one tune at a time.
Park in the sun.
Open the trunk in the evening or several time a day if it is in a secure place to let the aroma out.
I seriously doubt that there is any gasoline left since it was only exposed to vapor in the first place.
Any movement of air from a breeze or a fan should help.
Let us know what works.

PS  It is gasoline vapor which is dangerous. With no oxygen present as with liquid gasoline, there can be no combustion. Welding is done on the outside of gasoline storage tanks as long as it is below the level of the liquid inside.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I've played some gigs where I wished I could de-stink the music...
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

Not sure it will work with gas odor but I did have some sheet music that had a bad mildew odor, I sprinkled the music with baking soda and let it sit in a box, after a week I carefully cleaned off the baking soda with a brush and vacuum set on low. The mildew smell was gone.   
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Oct 02, 2017, 10:50AMI've played some gigs where I wished I could de-stink the music...

I'm right there with you, man!

ttf_Pteranabone

Post by ttf_Pteranabone »

I would try a few varieties of Desiccants.  Rice is the most obvious but there are several industrial desiccants that are likely  more effective.

( I couldn’t think of any clever barbs at any particular composers, arrangers, or instrument combinations that I don’t like, so I gave you a practical answer, for what it’s worth.)

Best of luck.
ttf_Pteranabone

Post by ttf_Pteranabone »

I would try a few varieties of Desiccants.  Rice is the most obvious but there are several industrial desiccants that are likely  more effective.

( I couldn’t think of any clever barbs at any particular composers, arrangers, or instrument combinations that I don’t like, so I gave you a practical answer, for what it’s worth.)

Best of luck.

Return to “Accessories”