Trombone buying advice

ttf_markhag1968

Trombone buying advice

Post by ttf_markhag1968 »

Hello All,
I'm sure this topic has been addressed numerous times, but I'm going to ask again. I'm a tuba player (and middle school band director) wanting to get back into playing more. I played bass trombone in high school in jazz band and would like to reacquaint myself with trombone playing. I don't currently have a trombone (although my 6th grade daughter has started on trombone, a Conn 23H beginner horn, actually quite a nice instrument). I've been looking all over the internet at both bass trombones and larger bore tenor trombones. I know I should know better having seen many rotten Chinese beginner horns in my band room, but I'm tempted at some of the Chinese trombones I've seen people speak of in various reviews. I'm not far from where the Wessex outlet is in Michigan, so I may go up there to give them a try. I've also seen people speak of the Mack Brass bass (which seems to be the same as the Wessex). Also, I've been looking at the Schiller's listed at Jim Laabs Music. They seem to carry "studio" instruments which are a step above their regular line. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either the Schiller American Heritage Bass Trombone, or the Schiller Studio 547 Pro. Both look interested, but the price just seems too good to be true!
ttf_MikeBMiller

Trombone buying advice

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

The prevailing wisdom on this board seems to be that, although Mack and Schiller instruments may come from the same factory, Mack Brass does a better job of inspecting and testing each horn before sending it out. I have played a Mack bass bone and it was a good horn for the money. The JP Rath instruments are also well regarded. They are more expensive than Mack/Shiller, but still about half the price of a Bach or Conn.
ttf_blast

Trombone buying advice

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: markhag1968 on Oct 03, 2017, 04:32AMHello All,
I'm sure this topic has been addressed numerous times, but I'm going to ask again. I'm a tuba player (and middle school band director) wanting to get back into playing more. I played bass trombone in high school in jazz band and would like to reacquaint myself with trombone playing. I don't currently have a trombone (although my 6th grade daughter has started on trombone, a Conn 23H beginner horn, actually quite a nice instrument). I've been looking all over the internet at both bass trombones and larger bore tenor trombones. I know I should know better having seen many rotten Chinese beginner horns in my band room, but I'm tempted at some of the Chinese trombones I've seen people speak of in various reviews. I'm not far from where the Wessex outlet is in Michigan, so I may go up there to give them a try. I've also seen people speak of the Mack Brass bass (which seems to be the same as the Wessex). Also, I've been looking at the Schiller's listed at Jim Laabs Music. They seem to carry "studio" instruments which are a step above their regular line. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either the Schiller American Heritage Bass Trombone, or the Schiller Studio 547 Pro. Both look interested, but the price just seems too good to be true!

Wessex are about to release a new bass trombone designed my me. I think it will represent exceptional value and be a proper bass trombone.... not a student or intermediate model.

Chris Stearn
ttf_markhag1968

Trombone buying advice

When will it be released? Also, how is it different than their current model.
ttf_blast

Trombone buying advice

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: markhag1968 on Oct 03, 2017, 11:55AMWhen will it be released? Also, how is it different than their current model.

Should be out any day... no real connection to the old one. I built up the prototype myself.

Chris Stearn
ttf_mjgeorge

Trombone buying advice

Post by ttf_mjgeorge »

If you're planning to visit Wessex in MI, I recommend calling ahead to schedule and coordinate what trombone models you'd like to try, as I don't believe they keep a full stock of trombone models.
ttf_davdud101

Trombone buying advice

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: mjgeorge on Oct 03, 2017, 02:21PMIf you're planning to visit Wessex in MI, I recommend calling ahead to schedule and coordinate what trombone models you'd like to try, as I don't believe they keep a full stock of trombone models.

Wait is Wessex Tubas located in Michigan??? GOood grief, and here I've been thinking they were located in somewhere in England... I'm gonna arrange a visit for this winter.. had no idea!!

(Feel free to ridicule me.  Image )
ttf_markhag1968

Trombone buying advice

They are located in Ferrysburg, near Spring Lake.
ttf_markhag1968

Trombone buying advice

They are located in Ferrysburg, near Spring Lake.

Return to “Instruments”