Has anybody played one of these?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Has anybody played the Schiller Studio 547 Pro Trombone? Just wondering if it is any good. It looks cool and is amazingly cheap, so it is probably just a junky stencil horn. But, I guess I'm hoping someone will tell me it is awesome.

http://www.schillerinstruments.com/trombones/studio-547-pro-trombone
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Schiller is a brand of Chinese-made instruments.  Many of them are TSOs (trombone-shaped objects) rather than something a good trombonist would want.  I can tell you that the Haagman valve pictured is not a real Haagman but a copy.

Some of the Chinese instruments have been improving in quality as of late, but I would not purchase this one without a chance to thoroughly test drive it.

IMO, you would be better off buying a quality used pro horn from a respected manufacturer (e.g., Conn, Bach, Yamaha, and others).
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Schiller is the stencil for Jim Laabs.  He's one of the guys who does some QC on the horns he imports from China.  We have had some mixed responses on his business dealings.  If you buy it and like it, great.  If you have problems you may have trouble getting in touch with him (or not).
ttf_BassCase

Post by ttf_BassCase »

their tubas seem to be fairly well regarded.  If you want a stencil bone, though, go to Wessex. 

ttf_BassCase

Post by ttf_BassCase »

their tubas seem to be fairly well regarded.  If you want a stencil bone, though, go to Wessex. 

Return to “Instruments”