Slide for a 71H

ttf_CJ

Slide for a 71H

Post by ttf_CJ »

I obtained a 71H bell section for cheap, and need a slide.  Because of the unusually long slides on the 71H (72H and 73H as well), my options for finding suitable materials are limited.

As I see it, I could have something made with new parts from someone willing to make the tubes. I’ve heard Kanstul, BAC, others, will do this, but that’s an expensive proposition.  I’d like to keep it inexpensive.

Can you think of any less expensive way of finding the parts or is there another make that has long slides and has parts available?  Any other ideas?  I’ve got a great tech.

CJ
ttf_BGuttman

Slide for a 71H

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Regardless of what slide you get, it's not a big deal to put a short extension between the outer tubes and the crook to compensate.

There may also be a problem with the tenon.  I think later models have a slightly different tenon and may requires either a slide side transplant or a bell side receiver transplant.  Tenon is an easier fix, but you will need a 71H tenon and the source is a trashed 71H slide.

Or you can just figure out how to lengthen the tuning slide. Image
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Slide for a 71H

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Could one not unsolder the outer sleeves and slide them up a bit? I don’t know how much longer the 71/2/3 slides are than most, though. The lip that would create could cause a problem in 7th or 6th.
ttf_mr.deacon

Slide for a 71H

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: Full Pedal Trombonist on Oct 11, 2017, 07:18PMCould one not unsolder the outer sleeves and slide them up a bit? I don’t know how much longer the 71/2/3 slides are than most, though. The lip that would create could cause a problem in 7th or 6th.
That solution still won't play the same as a true long 72H style slide.
ttf_CJ

Slide for a 71H

Post by ttf_CJ »

Quote from: Full Pedal Trombonist on Oct 11, 2017, 07:18PMCould one not unsolder the outer sleeves and slide them up a bit? I don’t know how much longer the 71/2/3 slides are than most, though. The lip that would create could cause a problem in 7th or 6th.

I think that solution leaves me without full use of the slide since the inners would be unchanaged.  Not sure if that matters... depends on my reach.

ttf_BGuttman

Slide for a 71H

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Your problem with any of the solutions that are a compromise are the same as what applies to any other single valve bass: low C may be a tad sharp.

Maybe DJ has a spare 72H slide he can sell you.

ttf_bassboneman

Slide for a 71H

Post by ttf_bassboneman »

Quote from: mr.deacon on Oct 11, 2017, 11:18PMThat solution still won't play the same as a true long 72H style slide.
Agreed! ...and it doesnt take much for the pitch to be unmanageable ...to which point - what does it take to make that horn a reliable instrument you can really play??

Sam
ttf_CJ

Slide for a 71H

Post by ttf_CJ »

I really am not excited about any option where the bell section gets longer.  I can only guess that intonation and other characteristics/playability might get weird.  Anybody know a tech who's got a pile of old Conn slides lying around?
ttf_greenbean

Slide for a 71H

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Quote from: CJ on Oct 12, 2017, 03:09AMI think that solution leaves me without full use of the slide since the inners would be unchanaged.  Not sure if that matters... depends on my reach.

As well have leave you with an outer slide with a defective top inch or so.  This mod won't improve things at all.  I think with patience you will be able to find a long Conn slide.  View this as a long-term project.
ttf_CJ

Slide for a 71H

Post by ttf_CJ »

Through PM two members suggested more modern conn slides aren much different. Anybody have both 71,72,73 and a more recent slide that they could compare? 
ttf_CJ

Slide for a 71H

Post by ttf_CJ »

Through PM two members suggested more modern conn slides aren much different. Anybody have both 71,72,73 and a more recent slide that they could compare? 

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”