Adding Shires threaded leadpipe receiver to Conn slide

ttf_BostonChops

Post by ttf_BostonChops »

I wonder if anyone could give me advice on the different ways that I might be able to use a Shires threaded leadpipe on a 547 Conn slide with a fixed leadpipe. I currently have two slides that I would consider this mod on, one is from the 90s and has a one piece cork barrel, the other is from the 50s and had a two piece cork barrel.

I could replace the whole cork barrel with a Conn threaded one piece, and use a thread adaptor. I've seen a thread here where it appears that an insert is soldered into the Conn cork barrel. Does anyone know any more options?
ttf_CJ

Post by ttf_CJ »

I’m sure you could get shires to send you an unthreaded pipe. Much cheaper.
ttf_modelerdc

Post by ttf_modelerdc »

check out instrument innovations, they have several adapters for this purpose, and one of them may fit!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Remember, you have to get the old leadpipe out before you can put a new one in.  This is not a simple "yank with a pair of pliers" type of operation.  Needs to be done by somebody who knows what they are doing.

Once the old pipe is out you can use anything you want in there.

ttf_BostonChops

Post by ttf_BostonChops »

Sorry for the confusion, although I'm fairly mechanically competent, this will be a job for a tech. I am aware that instrument innovations sell adaptors, but thought that a solder in thread wasn't available - at least I can't see it on their website. Mostly I'm wondering if there's any alternative to a new cork barrel.

The thread with the mod that I was thinking of is here:

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?topic=65921.0
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: CJ on Oct 15, 2017, 10:10AMI’m sure you could get shires to send you an unthreaded pipe. Much cheaper.
A tech will pop off the threads and put a ring on for $10.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

One can simply solder the ring to the top of the slide.  It'll be a bit longer, but it would be just as long as if you were using an adapter. (An extra ca. 1/4").  This is, of course, after the pipe has been pulled as Bruce mentioned. I have a slide like that and it works just fine.

That said, the cork barrel parts are actually not all that expensive, but might take some time to get them.  If I were swapping out, I'd probably get the bi-thread collar from Instrument Innovations and just stick it on the top and call it a day. 
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello this is Mike from instrument innovations
Have your tech give me a call tomorrow  his price is cheaper than the retail price on the website. I will even send it to him for free just to make sure it works before paying for it . These are really starting to go. Many are really liking them . I am going to make another run of them soon . So if I need to make different sizes to adapt to different models I can.
Thank all of you for your support.
Mike
ttf_CJ

Post by ttf_CJ »

I had a threaded receiver installed on a 6H slide. The parts were $50 but labor, requiring a rebuild of the cork barrel was something like 150.  Unless there’s a reason to have threads, I would recommend going with press fit pipes. It should require no modification of your horn other than pulling the fixed leadpipe.
ttf_Horn Builder

Post by ttf_Horn Builder »

Press fit pipes are not as secure as threaded pipes (Obviously) The solidity of the threaded system does translate into a more secure feel in playing the horn, similar to a soldered pipe, as it is more a "part of the instrument" than a simple press fit. There is a better connection between the pipe and the horn.

Pulling a pipe almost always involves rebuilding the upper cork barrel, as getting the pipe out without the other parts coming un-soldered is very rare. The whole operation takes a good amount of time, ie, several hours, even for a really experienced tech. Time equals money.

Yes, there is more to installing one of these threaded collars than "simply soldering the ring on the top of the slide". The cork barrel needs to be shortened, or there will be too much length added which will throw several things out of balance (intonation being one) It is also essential that the collar be mounted straight. If it is not, the pipe will pull the inner slide out of alignment.

Good work is not cheap.

And cheap work is rarely good or useful, similar to cheap advice offered on the internet.

FWIW, from someone who has mounted "MANY" threaded leadpipe collars on slides.

M
ttf_Horn Builder

Post by ttf_Horn Builder »

Press fit pipes are not as secure as threaded pipes (Obviously) The solidity of the threaded system does translate into a more secure feel in playing the horn, similar to a soldered pipe, as it is more a "part of the instrument" than a simple press fit. There is a better connection between the pipe and the horn.

Pulling a pipe almost always involves rebuilding the upper cork barrel, as getting the pipe out without the other parts coming un-soldered is very rare. The whole operation takes a good amount of time, ie, several hours, even for a really experienced tech. Time equals money.

Yes, there is more to installing one of these threaded collars than "simply soldering the ring on the top of the slide". The cork barrel needs to be shortened, or there will be too much length added which will throw several things out of balance (intonation being one) It is also essential that the collar be mounted straight. If it is not, the pipe will pull the inner slide out of alignment.

Good work is not cheap.

And cheap work is rarely good or useful, similar to cheap advice offered on the internet.

FWIW, from someone who has mounted "MANY" threaded leadpipe collars on slides.

M

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”