seeking info on COUESNON trombone

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi,

My 9 year old Grandson is in the 4th grade, and taking Cello lessons.
Next Year, his school allows the kids to branch out into brass and woodwind instruments, and he has decided he wants to learn to play the Trombone..

So, I have an opportunity to acquire a trombone for him to learn on - Can you tell me more about this instrument.

Markings :

COUESNON   Paris

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Couesnon were "bargain basement" horns in their day.  You shouldn't pay a lot for this one.  There are much better student trombones out there.  See if you can find a Yamaha 354, King 606 (or Conn 22H, its kissing cousin), Holton TR-601, or Blessing B-128.  Olds Ambassadors have a reputation of being built like tanks, but the newest one is probably 40 years old.

Beware of trombones on Amazon or Ebay with great prices.  Often they are pretty awful instruments and will either be difficult to play, not hold up well, or both.  There are a couple of Chinese trombone vendors who will provide a decent instrument: Wessex Tubas and Jim Laabs to mention two.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.  I'd bet any model that has been around for more than 6 months has been tested by somebody on this Forum.
ttf_MrPillow

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Quote from: BGuttman on Dec 04, 2017, 11:19AMCouesnon were "bargain basement" horns in their day.

Not that this trombone isn't probably a cheap stencil import, but Couesnon was in business for almost two centuries, and during large periods of that time were high-end professional instruments played by many prominent European musicians. Their trombones were never great but as whole it's not fair to run the company as a bargain basement operation.
ttf_MrPillow

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Quote from: BGuttman on Dec 04, 2017, 11:19AMCouesnon were "bargain basement" horns in their day.

Not that this trombone isn't probably a cheap stencil import, but Couesnon was in business for almost two centuries, and during large periods of that time were high-end professional instruments played by many prominent European musicians. Their trombones were never great but as whole it's not fair to run the company as a bargain basement operation.

Return to “Instruments”