Why do trombone manufacturers have both a Bb and a C model for each p

ttf_Jim Medill

Post by ttf_Jim Medill »

I am looking at upgrading my valve trombone and have always assumed and been told it is a Bb concert pitch instrument. The same as my old Baritone. looking at manufacturers I notice they have both a Bb model number and a C model number in each price range. Can anyone explain the difference to me. Jupiter is a good example where each price range has a different model number and key designation. Example - Jupiter Silver Plated Bb Valve Trombone, JTB700VS and   Jupiter Silver Plated C Valve Trombone, JTB720VS This seems to be only a valve trombone issue as all of the slide trombones are listed as Bb. Image

ttf_MrPillow

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

The B-flat model has an open acoustic length of 9 feet and sounds a concert B-flat as the fundamental with no valves depressed. The C model has an open acoustic length of 8 feet and sounds a concert C as the fundamental with no valves depressed.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

The banda players like the ones in C. Jazz cats seem to dig the ones in Bb (or at least Bob Brookmeyer did).
ttf_Driving Park

Post by ttf_Driving Park »

Yep, Bb and C valve trombones are just like Bb and C trumpets. Bb valve trombones are more common, and are useful for trombonists who know Bb valves or euphoniumists/jazz trumpeters to double with. C valve trombones are used in banda music as mr.deacon said, even though the trumpets and clarinets are in Bb.
ttf_sirisobhakya

Post by ttf_sirisobhakya »

Quote from: Driving Park on Dec 04, 2017, 06:56PMYep, Bb and C valve trombones are just like Bb and C trumpets. Bb valve trombones are more common, and are useful for trombonists who know Bb valves or euphoniumists/jazz trumpeters to double with. C valve trombones are used in banda music as mr.deacon said, even though the trumpets and clarinets are in Bb.

Is there difference in the tone between those two? Is it like that between Bb and C trumpets, where C has brighter sound?
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I doubt very much there would be any significant sound difference.  In some parts of the world, C instruments are more common, that's why they make them.
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Also, for the same reason as using a C Melody Sax, to read concert pitch parts without having to transpose.
ttf_Jim Medill

Post by ttf_Jim Medill »

Thank you all for the great answers. I'm going to go for the extra 12"  Image
ttf_Jim Medill

Post by ttf_Jim Medill »

Thank you all for the great answers. I'm going to go for the extra 12"  Image

Return to “Instruments”