Green topics

ttf_Graham Martin

Green topics

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

I am really pleased to report the Australian Carbon tax legislation passed through the Senate today and will take effect from the middle of next year.

Ignoring all the politics and those that have lost or gained jobs due to their beliefs about controlling carbon emissions, I think the Greens leader was right when he said, "It's a 'green letter day' but one which will echo down the ages ... there's a celebration going on in this nation today. People 50 or 500 years from now will thank us for the passage of this legislation."

I suppose the downside is that the Coalition opposition is vowing to repeal the legislation if it wins the next election, which seems likely.

We shall see what we shall see but this is a breath of fresh air Image and puts us back in the forefront of those nations committed to preserving the earth is a state liveable for humans. Image Even it it does increase our cost of living, it's worth it. And it might just pursued a few other countries to tow the line - America, China and India for instance.  Image
ttf_Another Dave

Green topics

Post by ttf_Another Dave »

This article is too long to post, and to try to give a short synopsis would do it an injustice. But I find the idea of our military at the cutting edge of alternative energy is both ironic and truly hopeful.

Lean, Green Fighting Machine

ttf_JimArcher

Green topics

Post by ttf_JimArcher »

Neat.
ttf_Practiceathome

Green topics

Post by ttf_Practiceathome »

I have the answer.
Take the slivers of soap, chop into small pieces, and put into a jar.  Add water and shake.  Use this soap slurry to refill your liquid soap dispensers.  Hey, you even get some exercise from the process.  Pretend it is a martini shaker and go to town.

1. The greenies are happy because soap was reused and a glass jar was also reused.

2. The nay-sayers are happy because no emissions were used in running a microwave or stove top to heat the soap to melt and put it into a mold.  You may recall some criticized the use of microwaves and stove tops for offsetting any gains from the use of fossil fuels to heat the soap.

Everybody wins.
ttf_Another Dave

Green topics

Post by ttf_Another Dave »

conserve your energy, use a solar oven  Image

Quote from: Practiceathome on May 12, 2012, 08:19AMI have the answer.
Take the slivers of soap, chop into small pieces, and put into a jar.  Add water and shake.  Use this soap slurry to refill your liquid soap dispensers.  Hey, you even get some exercise from the process.  Pretend it is a martini shaker and go to town.

1. The greenies are happy because soap was reused and a glass jar was also reused.

2. The nay-sayers are happy because no emissions were used in running a microwave or stove top to heat the soap to melt and put it into a mold.  You may recall some criticized the use of microwaves and stove tops for offsetting any gains from the use of fossil fuels to heat the soap.

Everybody wins.

ttf_Sydney Australia

Green topics

Post by ttf_Sydney Australia »

ttf_Sydney Australia

Green topics

Starbucks Introduces Reusable Cup That Sells for a Buck
BY LLOYD ALTER IN CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY

That's cheap enough that people might actually use it, which is good. But it is part of a shift from producer responsibility, which is not.

ttf_Sydney Australia

Green topics

Quote of the Day:
President Barack Obama on Climate Change

QuoteWe, the people, still believe that our obligations as Americans are not just to ourselves, but to all posterity. We will respond to the threat of climate change, knowing that the failure to do so would betray our children and future generations. Some may still deny the overwhelming judgment of science, but none can avoid the devastating impact of raging fires, and crippling drought, and more powerful storms.

The path towards sustainable energy sources will be long and sometimes difficult. But America cannot resist this transition; we must lead it. We cannot cede to other nations the technology that will power new jobs and new industries – we must claim its promise. That is how we will maintain our economic vitality and our national treasure – our forests and waterways; our croplands and snowcapped peaks. That is how we will preserve our planet, commanded to our care by God. That’s what will lend meaning to the creed our fathers once declared.

(pic is YouTube link)

ttf_Sydney Australia

Green topics

How to Convince People That the Environment Matters
Ever fail miserably at trying to explain to your friends (or enemies) that the eco-challenges we face are crucial? You may be leaving too many blanks in your explanations. Here's how to improve your argument.
Why Environmentalists Need to Talk More About the Basics and Stop Skipping Steps
Convincing more people of the importance of the challenges we face is crucial, yet it's not always easy to do. This sometimes happen because we're only giving partial information, leaving too many blanks in our explanations.
BY MICHAEL GRAHAM RICHARD
ttf_Sydney Australia

Green topics

Nicholas Stern: Climate Situation 'Far Worse' Than Previously Thought
Nicholas Stern, the British economist who made a big splash worldwide with his government-commissioned Stern Review on the Economics of Climate Change in 2006, is now saying that things are even worse than he let on in his famous report.
ttf_RedHotMama

Green topics

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

I think we can stop worrying now.

The point at which we could have reversed global climate change has already passed.

So we're screwed.

Keep driving those Hummers!!!

Glad I don't have children.
ttf_Sydney Australia

Green topics

ttf_Sydney Australia

Green topics

ttf_Sydney Australia

Green topics

ttf_Sydney Australia

Green topics

ttf_Practiceathome

Green topics

Red Hot Mamma,

On what are you basing your opinion?  You may be right but I am just curious why you feel that way?
ttf_Sydney Australia

Green topics

The Energy Game is Rigged: Fossil Fuel Subsidies Topped $620 Billion in 2011
FEBRUARY 27, 3:56 PM BY LESTER BROWN

The energy game is rigged in favor of fossil fuels because we omit the environmental and health costs of burning coal, oil, and natural gas from their prices. Subsidies manipulate the game even further.

ttf_Graham Martin

Green topics

I agree with you entirely. It is a great shame that Australia's economy is so much based on mining, including the mining and exporting of fossil fuels.

On the health issues, it is not as though we have not had regular warnings down the years. In some cases this led to new legislation, as was the case in England with the Great Smog of 1952.

I remember those days and the absolute necessity of wearing a smog mask, or else expire on the spot. The smog even got into your house. Image:

UK Government medical reports in the weeks following estimated that 4,000 people had died prematurely and 100,000 more were made ill because of the smog's effects on the human respiratory tract. It took them until 1956 to come up with the Clean Air Act. Recent pictures I have seen in some cities in China show the exact same conditions - maybe worse. We are all completely mad not to take heed. Image
ttf_Practiceathome

Green topics

Here in the states solar energy is heavily subsidized, just like oil.  So why isn't solar flying high like fossil fuels?  Because even with subsidies it is not practical for the masses, and forget afforability.

You can cry about subsidies, and I am certainly no fan of the oil companies, but the implication that if subsidies were removed then somehow we would all be driving clean cars is a false assumption.  That was what you were implying in being critical of subsidies, wasn't it?  Don't get me wrong.  I hope I live long enough to see a world without oil, if for no other reason than I find it fascinating in how people adapt to the so called impossible.  I believe however that subsidies are only there to grow the business.  Look at Colombia (my wife's home country) for example.  All this oil but they are not profiting from nearly as much as they should.  You have to nuture an industry for it to be successful.

Now I am going to ride my bike to work.
ttf_Sydney Australia

Green topics

Is xeriscaping "historically inappropriate" in water-challenged Dallas?
BY LLOYD ALTER

The local Landmarks Commission thinks so, and demands that Burton Knight tear out his front yard and plant grass.

ttf_Sydney Australia

Green topics

State Department hid ties between Keystone XL report and TransCanada
BY CHRIS TACKETT

Mother Jones has found more information on how the State Department used Trans Canada conctractors to write its environmental report of the Trans Canada Keystone XL pipeline.
QuoteExperts who helped draft the report had previously worked for TransCanada, the company looking to build the Keystone pipeline, and other energy companies poised to benefit from Keystone's construction. State released documents in conjunction with the Keystone report in which these experts' work histories were redacted so that anyone reading the documents wouldn't know who'd previously hired them. Yet unredacted versions of these documents obtained by Mother Jones confirm that three experts working for an outside contractor had done consulting work for TransCanada and other oil companies with a stake in the Keystone's approval.

EXCLUSIVE: State Dept. Hid Contractor's Ties to Keystone XL Pipeline Company

ttf_anonymous

Green topics

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Practiceathome on Feb 21, 2013, 12:30PMRed Hot Mamma,

On what are you basing your opinion?  You may be right but I am just curious why you feel that way?

I agree with Mama...

Global heating is driven largely by positive feedback mechanisms (e.g., the ice albedo effect).

None of this is news to anyone who has been paying attention for years. It's an old and well documented story.

I also think it's too late even if ordinary citizens manage to defeat the corporate fascism that drives economic, energy and environmental policy.

I expect that wars over fossil fuels will soon be accompanied and eventually replaced by wars over fresh water and food and they become more and more scarce to more and more people. I'm also very glad that I don't have children. Also glad that I won't see much of the impending disaster.

Good luck!

ttf_anonymous

Green topics

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Sydney Australia on Mar 25, 2013, 10:46AMIs xeriscaping "historically inappropriate" in water-challenged Dallas?
BY LLOYD ALTER

Burton is my hero for the day! Growing water intensive monocultures for ornamentation (e.g., turf grass) or food/industry (e.g., corn) is a waste of resources (not just water).
ttf_B0B

Green topics

Post by ttf_B0B »

Quote from: nycbone64 on Mar 25, 2013, 11:11AMI also think it's too late even if ordinary citizens manage to defeat the corporate fascism that drives economic, energy and environmental policy.

I expect that wars over fossil fuels will soon be accompanied and eventually replaced by wars over fresh water and food and they become more and more scarce to more and more people. I'm also very glad that I don't have children. Also glad that I won't see much of the impending disaster.

Good luck!
Something is inevitably going to step in to counter our exponential population boom. If not ourselves and wars as we fight over limited resources, then things like plague and disease. It will just be a horrible thing when it happens.

Oh and per the lawns, there's enough trouble if you just try to replace a regular lawn with a garden in a normal lot. Gets real fun when you play with historic zoning.
ttf_anonymous

Green topics

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: B0B on Mar 25, 2013, 11:26AMSomething is inevitably going to step in to counter our exponential population boom. If not ourselves and wars as we fight over limited resources, then things like plague and disease. It will just be a horrible thing when it happens.

Oh and per the lawns, there's enough trouble if you just try to replace a regular lawn with a garden in a normal lot. Gets real fun when you play with historic zoning.

We ecologists call that carry capacity (K).

Unfortunately, humans have the ability to change K to some degree. It would be interesting to analyze specific geographic areas for theoretical K with respect to humans. Sound like an interesting modeling study.

I say tax (heavily) those who reproduce above the replacement rate and give tax incentives for reproducing below the rate or not reproducing at all. I could use the extra cash. Image

I'm a genetic death and proud of it!

ttf_Sydney Australia

Green topics

Maryland moves one step closer to 200MW offshore wind farm

The state of Maryland has been pushing for at least 3 years to build a 200-megawatt offshore wind farm off its coast, 10 to 20 miles from Ocean City. Getting all their ducks in a row hasn't been easy.

Moving beyond oil and gas requires willpower more than anything else

One of the main barriers keeping us from making progress on renewable energy is in our minds. I'm not saying that we can dump fossil fuels overnight, or that it will be easy, but we could certainly do a lot more.

ttf_Sydney Australia

Green topics

A train derailing, spilling 30,000 gallons of oil is still not a reason to build Keystone XL pipeline.
BY CHRIS TACKETT IN ENERGY DISASTERS

A train hauling crude oil from Canada has derailed in Minnesota spilling 30,000 gallons of oil. Despite what proponents of the Keystone XL pipeline may argue, this is not a good reason to build that pipeline.

TransCanada — Keystone XL Pipeline — Pipeline Safety — Shutoff Valves from TransCanada on Vimeo.
QuoteAs the nice TransCanada video explains, they are using some fancy shutoff valves, so nothing could go seriously wrong, as long as no sensors ever fail or there are no problems with the satellite communication, which never happens as anyone with a cell phone or satellite TV can attest!LOL. Good freaking luck with that!

ttf_Sydney Australia

Green topics

Study shows a walk in the park fixes a fuzzy brain.
BY JAYMI HEIMBUCH

The evidence keeps rolling in: when you need to clear your head, the best place to do it is out among the trees.

from the New York Times:
QuoteThe study suggests that, right about now, you should consider “taking a break from work,” Dr. Roe said, and “going for a walk in a green space or just sitting, or even viewing green spaces from your office window.” This is not unproductive lollygagging, Dr. Roe helpfully assured us. “It is likely to have a restorative effect and help with attention fatigue and stress recovery.”
ttf_RedHotMama

Green topics

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

As far as wind farms are concerned, I think there's some work to be done yet! Driving down the motorway yesterday, I passed a block of a dozen or so "windmills", all of which were facing in different directions and only one of which was turning. If the "powers that be" are going to install these ugly buggers everywhere, they could at least ensure the things work....

When discussing the value of the Amazon rainforests and why they shouldn't be cut down, many people witter on about unknown animal species, indigenous populations, possible new cancer cures etc. However, they are much more important and commercially valuable as a "sink" for carbon dioxide. Paying to maintain the rainforests would be much cheaper and more efficient than seeking new sources of low-emitting energy sources.

http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/where_we_work/amazon/about_the_amazon/why_amazon_important/
ttf_Graham Martin

Green topics

"Global greenhouse gases in the atmosphere have reached an ominous milestone that is unprecedented in human history.

The world's longest measure of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has reached 400 parts per million (PPM) for the first time in three million years."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-11/carbon-pollution-reaches-highest-point-in-3-million-years/4680276

I suppose it is good news for the surfers because I was also reading that global warming and rising sea levels are creating bigger waves. Mainly in the Southern Ocean, however, and some Northern Hemispherers will see decreases in their oceans. None of this is any good for small islands in the Southern Ocean as changing waves and rising sea level can cause recession probably of order in some places say 100 metres this century. That wipes out whole chains of low-lying Pacific islands. But don't get too smug because it could also mean that hundreds of millions of people who live in areas that will become increasingly vulnerable to flooding - Mississippi delta area for instance. Higher sea levels would force them to abandon their homes and relocate.

http://ocean.nationalgeographic.com/ocean/critical-issues-sea-level-rise/

Another piece of bad news is that the Australian Carbon Tax - which was supposed to cut pollution, encourage green technology and raise money for family tax relief to compensate for rising prices due to the tax - has failed as far as revenue raising is concerned. This is due to linking it to the European carbon price, which has collapsed. Australian taxpayers are now facing a budget black hole of between $6-8 billion.

I think I am going to vote Green again in our September election because the Greens are the only ones who seem to have a proper plan for Carbon emission reduction in Australia. I am not so sure they have a proper management (government) team, or that the rest of the world will follow our lead, but I think at least their priorities are right. I would rather we all end up a little worse off financially than gasping for breath.

Bugs Bunny and Pink Floyd got it right, "Goodbye cruel world!" It has never been truer!
ttf_badger

Green topics

Post by ttf_badger »

Interesting article on carbon trading:
http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/31193

Search…‘carbon trading fraud‘…many articles on the subject.

ttf_Graham Martin

Green topics

Psssst! Don't get too excited, but Obama is  calling this a plan! It's about time you American cats came on board. Not that our plans are making much headway. But it is only a good move if the majority of Americans are behind it. Otherwise it won't get off the ground.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-26/us-president-barack-obama-lays-out-new-us-plan-to/4780540

And in other news, tonight, before the International Court of Justice in The Hague, Australia will start to present its case against Japan's whaling program. Australia launched the legal action in 2010, and now it's come down to submissions by both sides over three weeks.

I still fail to see how slaughtering 900 Minke whales each year could ever be called scientific research. Image It is obviously a commercial enterprise and all the Japanese marketing proves it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-02/whale-meat-sold-as-source-of-strength-in-japan/4728002

Hopefully, the Court will agree and this year's whale hunting season will be called off. They can hardly be called a Court of Justice if they do not find in favour of Australia and the whales.

Of course we could start torpedoing the Japanese whaling vessels. That's the course of action I would take. Image I am sure Greenpeace would love to do that if Australia is chicken.
ttf_Graham Martin

Green topics

ttf_Graham Martin

Green topics

Here is some good news out of Australia about power generation:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-05/new-report-shows-rapid-take-up-of-solar-panels/4864954

It just concerns me a little that, as I cannot see the costs of producing electricity going down even if demand does. Those of us who do not yet have the solar panels are going to get even bigger bills from the electricity retailers. Remembering also that we presently have a fairly tough carbon tax pushing up the price - although that may be changing a little due to the upcoming general election.

At least Queensland is 'the sunshine state' and, should we decide to invest in solar panels on the roof, we will at least be sure to generate something.
ttf_badger

Green topics

Post by ttf_badger »

The New Truly Green Energy? ( some think so )

http://energyfromthorium.com/thorium/

Excerpt:

When the United States committed decades ago to uranium fuel and pressurized-water reactors for its nuclear program, other viable technologies were set aside. One, the liquid thorium fuel reactor with molten salt coolant, is re-emerging as potentially the safest, most cost-effective solution to future energy needs in the carbon-containment era. Thorium is abundant, produces far less toxic fission products than uranium and may soon compete with coal for cost per kilowatt-hour. The chemistry of thorium fission is compelling, and the engineering of thorium reactors, with a longer history than most people realize, appears to be seductively manageable.

More here:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/motherboard-tv-the-thorium-dream

Excerpt:

There are many lingering questions about thorium, including sourcing the fuel, regulations, industrial inertia and persistent fears about radiation. While the disaster at Fukushima raised the specter of atomic destruction and pushed countries like Germany and Switzerland to announce an end to their nuclear programs, it’s also proved to be another teachable moment about how and why technologies come to be, and how to improve them. In the interest of cutting greenhouse gases, prominent climate scientists and environmentalists and technologists and presidents still argue that nuclear is a worthy enough technology to keep researching and improving. Before Fukushima, Obama’s nuclear policy was that safer nuclear plants are a “necessity,” and in February of 2010, he committed $8 billion in loan guarantees for new plant construction. His tune hasn’t changed – a reflection perhaps of the success of the industry’s lobbying and donations.

Search Bill Gates and Thorium for more.

ttf_Graham Martin

Green topics

More grist for the mill:

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,46486.0.html

and as you can read, our Aussie Federal government and State government here in Queensland continue to bury their heads in the sand. Image Image

And I don't know about 2013, but 2014 is shaping up to be pretty hot also. We are presently experiencing high thirty Celsius temps. That's in the 90s for you non metrification types.

Right now it is 35°C but due to the humidity it feels more like 40°C = 104°F
ttf_Graham Martin

Green topics

At least one of the major pollution offenders is starting to take an interest:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-25/climate-change-the-third-pole-under-threat/7657672
ttf_Graham Martin

Green topics

I have been feeling very sorry for people living in Beijing, and other cities in China and India similarly affected by pollution.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-08/chinese-air-pollution-crisis-caused-by-ongoing-coal-use/8168702

Having experienced the Great Smog of London in 1952, I remember that it did lead to changes and some worthwhile Clean Air legislation:

http://www.history.com/news/the-killer-fog-that-blanketed-london-60-years-ago

I suppose the biggest change I noticed in those days, when a lot of pollution was from domestic causes, was that we no longer sat in front of a burning coal fire of an evening: changing instead to coke, which somehow was not as cosy. But it was much better than that terrible smog and the general unhealthy environment we had been putting up with.

I was wondering if maybe Beijing could learn something from the action taken by the Brits after 1952, until I read this article in todays ABC news:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-09/london-activists-ramp-up-fight-against-deadly-air-pollution/8168076

And so it seems that the Brits have just as serious a pollution problem, almost as Beijing these days. Image

And in Australia, the provider of much of the coal which causes worldwide pollution, I think people are finally getting the message and starting hold the government to account for not taking enough action. Without much success, I have to say. Well, you have to take action when it affects something as important as the Australian ski season Image :

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-09/climate-change-could-shrink-australia-ski-season-csiro-says/8166372

That's a loss of a lot of tourist dollars, as well as spoiling our fun.

I believe Obama did a lot during his term to try and lead worldwide action against pollution. He obviously was not as effective as he would have wished to be. But the future is very bleak without US-inspired action! I do not think that the climate change doubter now coming into the White House is going to do much. Image

I feel very sorry for future generations and very regretful that my generation (and a couple following) have caused such large climate changes and have not left a cleaner world. Image  Although time is fast running out, I don't think it is yet too late to make an effective concerted effort. Please, Oh Please! If you had lived through that killer fog that blanketed London in 1952, you would know how terrible pollution can be.
ttf_stephenkerry

Green topics

Post by ttf_stephenkerry »

QuoteAnd so it seems that the Brits have just as serious a pollution problem, almost as Beijing these days. Eeek!I don't think so in general, except there is a big problem in large cities and towns with heavy traffic, with diesel fumes causing a big problem. As you previously said, the clean air acts made a massive difference. I grew up in a coal mining village, everyone burned coal as it was a perk of the job, but the whole village smelt and had pall of dirty air every time there was a hint of fog or mist; that sort of thing has long since gone.

England has now followed Wales in introducing a tax on plastic bags in shops; so the number of bags issued has dropped by about 85% I belive, as people now reuse them.  We could do with far better reuse and recycling here; a lot more is possible  but politians (local and national) don't touch it because of cost implications and votes lost. Too much short-term thinking. Reuse is the way to go, and strongly discourage mixed or unrecyclable packaging. Our local 'waste amenity' aka 'tip' has started charging for taking diy waste and a some other items: it's no coincidence that fly tipping has since increased 25%, and probably costs the locl authority much more to clear up. Dealing with rubbish is a a major problem.
ttf_Graham Martin

Green topics

Australia is not free of pollution problems either, with NSW Health issuing a warning today about toxic ozone gas. Not good with a severe to extreme heat wave about to hit the Eastern Australia, starting down south. Temperatures above 40 degrees Celsius are due in several areas over the next three days.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-10/sydney-high-air-pollution-prompts-warning-from-nsw-heath/8171618
ttf_Graham Martin

Green topics

Australia is not free of pollution problems either, with NSW Health issuing a warning today about toxic ozone gas. Not good with a severe to extreme heat wave about to hit the Eastern Australia, starting down south. Temperatures above 40 degrees Celsius are due in several areas over the next three days.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-10/sydney-high-air-pollution-prompts-warning-from-nsw-heath/8171618

Return to “Chit-Chat”