What Was Your First Car?

ttf_BGuttman

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I have an associate in one band who has an old Plymouth Fury III that was owned by the Massachusetts State Police.  He's had it restored and proudly stands next to it in his State Trooper uniform.
ttf_Woolworth

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Woolworth »

A '66 Dodge Coronet 500 Special Edition with a 225 Slant 6.  I bought it in the spring of 1976.  It was literally a "barn find" and I paid $400.00 cash for it.  That thing was LOADED with chrome.  I sold it after I graduated high school and used the money to pay for my second semester of college.

Except for the color (mine was dark blue) it was exactly like the one pictured here.

ttf_thetuningslide

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_thetuningslide »

Quote from: EWadie99 on Jun 18, 2016, 09:34AM...I would love a late 90's Chevrolet Camero Z28 or Pontiac Firebird. Image ...
I never really loved the look of the later Firebirds. Love the early-mid 70s models tho. That's also the time period when they put the 405 and 455 engines in  Image
ttf_EWadie99

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Quote from: thetuningslide on Jun 18, 2016, 10:51AMI never really loved the look of the later Firebirds. Love the early-mid 70s models tho. That's also the time period when they put the 405 and 455 engines in  Image
Yeah, those old firebirds look bad*** and powerful too! Image
ttf_BillO

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: EWadie99 on Jun 18, 2016, 03:31PMYeah, those old firebirds look bad*** and powerful too! Image

And they handled like a sliding log with a big rock tied to them 10 feet behind.

Pretty good in a straight line --- end of story.

Yes, they do look cool though.
ttf_KRRath

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_KRRath »

1976 Chrysler Cordoba with 400 cid engine.  No, it didn't have Corinthian leather, but blue velour interior and a crank-handle sunroof.  I still have the car.
ttf_Taytay051

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Taytay051 »

Wow theres some cool stuff here! Image

Heres mine, a 1980 Mini 1000, Lovingly restored by me and my father 6 years ago, and now in a million pieces again as I try to stop the damn oil from falling out of it!!! Image

Notable features include 10inch wheels, 4 drum brakes and a dizzying top speed of 55mph

ttf_JohnL

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: Taytay051 on Jun 19, 2016, 03:30AM....now in a million pieces again as I try to stop the damn oil from falling out of it!!! ImageQ: Why don't the English make computers?
A: Because they can't figure out how to make them leak oil.
ttf_EWadie99

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Me and my family are thinking about selling the soccer-mom-mobile and I wonder which first car I should spend it on
 My dad has a agenda against foreign cars but German cars he can accept. 
ttf_thetuningslide

What Was Your First Car?

Quote from: EWadie99 on Jun 21, 2016, 05:42PMMe and my family are thinking about selling the soccer-mom-mobile and I wonder which first car I should spend it on
 My dad has a agenda against foreign cars but German cars he can accept. 
I would personally go for some classic American Muscle. Plus, if your dad likes American cars, you might get some free repairs/upgrades/tips if you're nice and show some interest. One of my uncle's works at Volkswagen and used to have a CC. Fun car that feels pretty cool.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Are your folks making you fill the tank? If so (and they should), I would get the most fuel efficient car you can.
ttf_Eastcheap

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Eastcheap »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 18, 2016, 07:55AMYeah, but in Texas you can get away with a land yacht like that.

Funny thing is, the "wide open spaces" are dominated by econoboxes and working pickups (a lot of them compacts).  Go to the wealthy suburbs and tonier bits of cities and it's all gargantuan bourgemobiles crammed into compact spaces.

Turns out, folks who don't have a lot of money, and who are forced to drive lots of miles, don't buy more car then they need...and quite often substantially less.  Who'da thunk it?
ttf_BillO

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: EWadie99 on Jun 21, 2016, 05:42PMMy dad has a agenda against foreign cars ... 

Oh, you mean all those Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans built in the US?

ttf_Roebird37

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Quote from: Taytay051 on Jun 19, 2016, 03:30AMWow theres some cool stuff here! Image

Heres mine, a 1980 Mini 1000, Lovingly restored by me and my father 6 years ago, and now in a million pieces again as I try to stop the damn oil from falling out of it!!! Image

Notable features include 10inch wheels, 4 drum brakes and a dizzying top speed of 55mph

I was reading through thinking 'surely someone else had a Mini' and was rewarded with the sight of this beauty!

I started on a 1976 Mini 1000.  It was terrible to drive and hopelessly unreliable and I loved it! 
I have all sorts of fond memories, like the time I pushed it off a roundabout wearing a business suit and high heels, and the time I pushed it off a different roundabout then had to go back and help push the car which had broken down behind me, and the time I held onto a man's giant poodle while he pushed my mini round a corner for me...

ttf_leec

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_leec »

Quote from: EWadie99 on Jun 17, 2016, 02:08PMI'm now 17 years old and I've been looking into cars lately.  So out of curiosity, what was your first car?

My first car was a DKW sanderklass 3-6, (later merged to form Audi) with a 3 cylinder 2 stoke motor.  Very similar engine to the very early Saabs.  It was a 2 door with the doors hinged from the rear!  4 speed standard with the shifter on the column. Front wheel drive so it was pretty good in the snow.
ttf_Sue

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Sue »

An olive-green '72 Chevy BelAir sedan that I got cheap because the elderly wife of the seller had an accident in it, and was afraid to drive again. It was repaired with bondo, and repainted. It came complete with an 8-track tape player1
You NEVER forget your first set of wheels!
ttf_thetuningslide

What Was Your First Car?

Quote from: leec on Jun 22, 2016, 06:17AMMy first car was a DKW sanderklass 3-6, (later merged to form Audi) with a 3 cylinder 2 stoke motor.  Very similar engine to the very early Saabs.  It was a 2 door with the doors hinged from the rear!  4 speed standard with the shifter on the column. Front wheel drive so it was pretty good in the snow.
Lol I've heard of those 3cyl 2-smokes. Why a weird engine
ttf_MikeBMiller

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

A 1960 Buick  Electra that belonged to my uncle. He let me drive it when I was in HS. 9 mpg. No seat belt. Not much paint left. You could start it without a key. He died of a heart attack my senior year. The last time I drove it, parked in my driveway and when I got out it started rolling down the hill in our rather large back yard. I had to chase it down and start it on the fly. My mom sold it to so e poor schmuck for $100 what I went off to school.
ttf_randyb

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_randyb »

Fun subject!  My first "drivable" car was a 1956 Nash Rambler.  The front seats folded back which was really handy in High School....
You might have trouble finding a good one today though.
ttf_Douglas Fur

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Douglas Fur »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Jun 17, 2016, 05:06PMThe first car I owned in the early 1960s in the UK was an Isetta Bubble Car, if that qualifies. Many would say it is a motorcycle and I actually drove it on a motorcycle licence:

After that I came to Australia and, after getting a proper driving licence was soon driving a company Holden Van, which was soon replaced by a Holden station wagon.

I then drove company cars, usually the latest Holden until I went to the US to work, where they do not have company cars to the same extent as we did in Australia. So I had to buy my own car and ended up with the infamous Ford Pinto.

I'd call it a kinetic sculpture. There's an elderly gentleman in our neighborhood who still drives one. His wife drives a corvair.
ttf_Douglas Fur

What Was Your First Car?

1968 Datsun 1300 pickup. A good small pickup. A size regrettably no longer  made.
In Japan it was rated at 1000kg capacity. For tax considerations in the US  it was rated at 1/4 ton (227kg). I once got a load of gravel in it. The front-end loader at the gravel pit was designed to load a dump truck with one scoop. The driver shook a little into my truck. Wham! The truck had rubber bumpers between the bed and frame for when the springs were maxed out. The scales said it was over 2000lbs. I drove it about 5mi across town, not going over 25mph. I could have gone faster but stopping was my worry.
Unloaded the truck bounced back, no problem.

The engine was a copy of an Austin straight 4 but being Japanese it didn't leak oil. Actually the Datsun Fair Lady [1600cc] or 2000 would be a fun car but anything that old is more sculptural than basic transport. Hyundai or Kia is probably the best buy. Check Consumer Reports for details, what era Kia stink.

DRB
Seola Creek
ttf_Eastcheap

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Eastcheap »

Quote from: Roebird37 on Jun 22, 2016, 05:43AMI started on a 1976 Mini 1000.  It was terrible to drive and hopelessly unreliable and I loved it! 

I was always impressed at how they came up with a design that sucked rainwater into the engine compartment and turned it into the best-selling car in Britain.  Now that reflects a true love of irony.

QuoteI have all sorts of fond memories, like the time I pushed it off a roundabout wearing a business suit and high heels, and the time I pushed it off a different roundabout then had to go back and help push the car which had broken down behind me, and the time I held onto a man's giant poodle while he pushed my mini round a corner for me...

You must admit, the old lightweight ones were eminently pushable.
ttf_PhilE

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_PhilE »

Our family was living in New Zealand in the 70's.  You could get your licence at 15 then which I did.  After working part time through school I bought a 1954 Standard 8.  It had been 'hotted up' by a previous owner and had a sports steering wheel, twin SU carbies and a hot dog muffler.  Possibly a slightly hot cam but I don't remember. It ran really well and leaked oil all over the place.  I learned years later that that was the British standard underbody rust proofing.

At that time NZ had very tight import restrictions.  New cars were about 4 times the price they were in Australia so the majority of cars on the road were old English cars. My brother and I had some beauties.  I had a couple of Austin A40s.  My brothers first car was a Morris 8.  I also had a 1947 Ford 10 van converted to a ute (pickup).  It was a rocket.  Sports steering wheel, shortened gear stick and top speed of 35 mph.  It had a 6 volt electrical system which really livened up when you jump started it with a 12V battery.

Quote from: Eastcheap on Jun 22, 2016, 08:09PMI was always impressed at how they came up with a design that sucked rainwater into the engine compartment and turned it into the best-selling car in Britain.  Now that reflects a true love of irony.
I laughed when I read that. So true.

I had a Series 3 Land Rover about 10 years ago.  It was a wagon with a hard top.  In wet weather I needed gum boots and a rain coat to keep dry while driving.  Braking in the wet was a gamble.

ttf_Posaunus

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

The first vehicle that I drove that wasn't my parents' car was a Divco milk truck - drove it all summer after my freshman year in college when I worked at my cousin's dairy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divco

"Divco became known for its multi-stop delivery trucks, particularly in use as home delivery vehicles by dairy producers. [Its] design - introduced in 1937, featured a welded all-steel van body and a snub-nosed hood, a model that was manufactured with almost no changes up to the end of the line in 1986.

"A feature of most Divco trucks [was] their controls that were designed for driving while standing, and included the throttle and brake mounted on the steering column. The [trucks] were not refrigerated, thus perishable loads such as milk crates were loaded and then covered with ice, making the trucks prone to rust from the inside out!" 

Crash gearbox - manual transmission, no synchromesh.  Clutch operated while standing up and driving.  No seat belts, no doors in the summer - it would have been easy to be thrown out the side of the truck if you weren't careful negotiating a sharp turn when driving while standing! 

For some reason, my parents wouldn't approve my proposed purchase of an early 1950's Packard limousine from a local funeral home.  I think I could have got it for $250! 
ttf_anonymous

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_anonymous »

1984, Škoda 120L... like the one on the picture, but yellow and it also had a rear spoiler Image. Basically a piece of cr**, but back then it was more than a Ferrari to me Image.

ttf_tbonejeff

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_tbonejeff »

My first car was a 1968 Simca 1204 4-door station wagon with about 2,400 miles. It had a 4-speed manual transmission, manual choke, black vinyl seats (lovely in Texas summers!), 12-inch wheels, and a heater. I could open all 4 windows from the driver's seat and the front seats folded flat, which came in handy on long trips. It would get up to about 75 - 80 mph, with a tailwind, downhill. The dealer we bought it from said it had been driven from the east coast by John Steinbeck's son, who traded it for a motorcycle. Being inexpert at driving a manual, I wore out the clutch at about 48,000 miles. There were very few of these French-made (by a Chrysler subsidiary) cars and even fewer parts. I couldn't get it fixed (cheaply enough, anyway) and had to get rid of it after about 2 1/2 years.
ttf_elmsandr

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

1971 Volkswagen Type III square back sedan.  My grandmother was the original owner.

I think I had as meany miles pushing that car as I did driving it.  When I sold it for $600 I felt like I was ripping the guy off.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_jmloudon

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_jmloudon »

This is a great thread. Enjoyed reading about all of your first cars!

I had a 1999 Mercury Sable. Bought it from my mom after saving up a bit from my grocery store job. I really, really, very badly wanted the 1988 Pontiac Fiero my next door neighbor was selling at the time but the Sable was the right price.  Sold it to a college friend when I moved to Boston and it's still running well...

ttf_wgwbassbone

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

1975 Datsun B210. Orange. Wasn't a great car but ANY first car is a great car. Freedom!!!!!!!
ttf_BGuttman

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: wgwbassbone on Jun 26, 2016, 07:23AM1975 Datsun B210. Orange. Wasn't a great car but ANY first car is a great car. Freedom!!!!!!!

Do you remember the Ansel Adams ads?  "Drive a Datsun, Plant a tree".

My first new car (replaced my Olds Cutlass Supreme) was a 1972 Dodge Colt.  Back then the little 4 cylinder Japanese cars (the Colt was made by Mistubishi) were popular among us younger folks.  Toyota, Datson, etc.  And when the Gas Crisis hit in 1973 and 1974 (OPEC oil embargo) we were at a big advantage because the little gas we could buy went much farther.
ttf_keybone

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_keybone »

..because the little gas we could buy went much farther.
[/quote]

The little gas we could buy cost about 50-55 cents/gallon!
ttf_Bob Weller

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Bob Weller »

1960 Pontiac Ventura Hardtop.  389 V8.  Loved gas stations and could get you there in a hurry. You could put as many people in the trunk as the passenger compartment.  Great for drive in movies when price was per car!

Other cars I owned with great memories.
1969 Buick Opel Rallye
1963 Chevy SS Convertible
1970 Buick Skylark
1931 Model A Ford
1972 Dodge Challenger 383 V8
1957 Ford Fairlane Convertible 312 V8 (still own)
1970 Buick GS 455 Convertible 
1931 Model A Ford Roadster ( still own)

Thanks, Bob
ttf_BillO

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: keybone on Jun 26, 2016, 09:34AMThe little gas we could buy cost about 50-55 cents/gallon!

Must be a whippersnapper.  I remember gas at 29 cents a gallon, and that was here in Canada.
ttf_Eastcheap

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Eastcheap »

Quote from: BillO on Jun 26, 2016, 08:47PMMust be a whippersnapper.  I remember gas at 29 cents a gallon, and that was here in Canada.

I think keybone was referring to the massive price increases following the OPEC embargo (which actually weren't all that massive considering that oil prices had been dead flat since 1946).
ttf_20Posaunen

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_20Posaunen »

My first car was a black 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD with a 5-speed manual and a little 2.5L V6.  It was a great, reliable car (no matter how hard I drove it as a teenager) until it was ruthlessly terminated in exchange for the "cash-for-clunkers" incentive (which was significantly greater than the car's value at the time).   Image
I used that toward a black 2010 Mazda 3S 2.5L with a 6-speed manual. 
Then, when I moved to sunny Colorado, I traded the Mazda for a black 2006 BMW e85 Z4 3.0SI with a 6-speed manual and only 24k mi.
All three are/were great cars, but I must say - the BMW easily takes the cake!    Image

ttf_anonymous

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My dad's 1966 Chevy II Nova inline 6. I think it was the only car he ever bought new.  Wish I new more about cars back then than I do now.  I might have been able to prevent it's early retirement.  Image

My first purchase was a 1988 Mustang GT 5.0L V8. Fire engine Red. Loved that machine.

After moving here to Japan, fuel prices the way it is... micro 650cc lite truck.  Image
ttf_EWadie99

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

I don't know about you guys but a 1999 Chevrolet Camero Z28 would be awesome to have. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
ttf_BGuttman

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

That looks like a Cop magnet. Image
ttf_wgwbassbone

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 26, 2016, 08:17AMDo you remember the Ansel Adams ads?  "Drive a Datsun, Plant a tree".

My first new car (replaced my Olds Cutlass Supreme) was a 1972 Dodge Colt.  Back then the little 4 cylinder Japanese cars (the Colt was made by Mistubishi) were popular among us younger folks.  Toyota, Datson, etc.  And when the Gas Crisis hit in 1973 and 1974 (OPEC oil embargo) we were at a big advantage because the little gas we could buy went much farther.

I do Bruce. How funny was that.
ttf_BillO

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Eastcheap on Jun 27, 2016, 12:30AMI think keybone was referring to the massive price increases following the OPEC embargo (which actually weren't all that massive considering that oil prices had been dead flat since 1946).
Ahh, yes, the energy crisis.  I remember that too.

I also remember drooling over the Melkus 1000.  A 1000cc, 2-stroke sports car made in the GDR back in the '70s.  It kind of looked like a cross between a Lotus Europa, Ferrari GTO and an E-type Jag.  Compared to Italian sports cars it was cheap but unfortunately unobtainable.

ttf_Peter Eiden

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Peter Eiden »

1967 Chevy Impala, 4 door, 283 (small V8).  Had a ball in that car - owned it from about 1979 - 1982.
1976 Buick Regal, 2 door 350.  1982 - 1985
1985 Ford Thunderbird V6 (3L) first new car, stayed on road until 1993
1993 Saab 9000 CSE (hooked me on Saabs, and had it until 170K miles)
2000 Saab 9-5 SE Wagon (leased for 3 years)
2003 Saab 9-5 Arc Sedan (257K miles and still going strong -- my daily drive)

Wife's cars after we got married
1990 VW Jetta (Mexican built - half the body panel labels were in spanish - it was Blanca Alpina!))
2000 Ford Windstar - got 11 years and 140K out of it while the kids were young)
2011 GMC Terrain (V6) -- 100K and going strong

ttf_savio

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_savio »

My first car was a Volvo Amazooooon. With "wonderbaum", nice smell inside to impress the girls. Freedom and opportunities  Image Image

Leif
ttf_Torobone

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: savio on Jun 29, 2016, 01:47PMMy first car was a Volvo Amazooooon. With "wonderbaum", nice smell inside to impress the girls. Freedom and opportunities  Image Image

Leif

Mine too! The smell, not so much. That was burning oil when I took my foot off the gas on the highway.
ttf_savio

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: Torobone on Jul 01, 2016, 12:47AMMine too! The smell, not so much. That was burning oil when I took my foot off the gas on the highway.

Haha I remember I never changed oil in mine, just filled a little bit each week.

Leif
ttf_Douglas Fur

What Was Your First Car?

Quote from: savio on Jun 29, 2016, 01:47PMMy first car was a Volvo Amazooooon. With "wonderbaum", nice smell inside to impress the girls. Freedom and opportunities  Image Image

Leif
Was this the DAF belt drive model from the period when Volvo owned DAF?
DRB
ttf_savio

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: Douglas Fur on Jul 01, 2016, 01:36PMWas this the DAF belt drive model from the period when Volvo owned DAF?
DRB

Not sure but it was from 1968. Wish I had it today.

Leif
ttf_Torobone

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: Douglas Fur on Jul 01, 2016, 01:36PMWas this the DAF belt drive model from the period when Volvo owned DAF?
DRB

No, the Volvo Amazon was also called a 122S or a Canadian, depending where it was made or purchased. I first had a '65 that rusted out, so I replaced it with a '68. I drove Volvos unil the '68 mercifully self-destructed by self starting and driving itself into my garage door where it caught fire!

The Amazon had a straight 4-cylinder 1800cc (1.8L) engine. It had 95 horsepower, but was fast and good handling enough to be very fun to drive. Mine had a 4-speed manual transmission, and I had both cars up to 100 mph at least once, just to do it on a straight, empty road. It was so much more fun that the 140 series.
ttf_EWadie99

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

If I get my licence I might want a manual. Any thoughts?
ttf_BGuttman

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

They aren't as easy to find as they used to be.

I'd suggest something comfortable which eliminates a lot of the cars we used to buy as manuals.

I have a feeling you may be somewhat limited by your available finances for your first car.  Have a good chat with your parents (who really want you tooling around in as safe a car as you can buy).  Don't feel insulted if you wind up with the old family sedan.  At least it's wheels.  When you are on your own you can then look at buying the "Cop Magnet" of your dreams. Image
ttf_Torobone

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Torobone »

"Only in your own car can you go where you want, when you want, and with whom you want"
- poster at the Chicago Auto Show, circa 1990.

That said, manual transmission are around, but less so in North America. A manual is more effort, but it normally means you spend more time assess the road and you are more alert.

Return to “Chit-Chat”