MAESTRO TUBA?

ttf_Douglas Fur

MAESTRO TUBA?

Post by ttf_Douglas Fur »

Its shiney and purty and I want it. (Oops, didn't buy a lottery ticket this week.)

But really folks is it Chinese or Chek? It sounds pretty rough but would repair cost more than it's worth?

Duff

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Silver-Maestro-Tuba-Four-Valves---Pick-Up-Only-37094350.html Image
ttf_BGuttman

MAESTRO TUBA?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Maestro is Chinese.  We've had a few reports of poor durability on their trombones.  Don't know if that also applies to tubas.
ttf_JohnL

MAESTRO TUBA?

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Looks more like an oval euphonium to me.
ttf_Douglas Fur

MAESTRO TUBA?

Quote from: JohnL on Feb 16, 2017, 01:19PMLooks more like an oval euphonium to me.

That's my take too. I like the elliptical form and it would be neat to have one but when it comes down to it I'm just an old trombonist and valves are too counter intuitive for me to play.

Duff
ttf_JohnL

MAESTRO TUBA?

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: Douglas Fur on Feb 16, 2017, 01:38PMI like the elliptical form and it would be neat to have one...They look cool - until you're stuck sitting next to one with it pointing straight at your right ear.
ttf_slide advantage

MAESTRO TUBA?

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

I took a chance on a small bore Maestro a couple of years ago.

Hands down, the worst trombone I have ever tried to play. It weighed as much as a .547 trigger horn. Impossible to slot notes in tune. Simply horrible.

The one redeeming feature was the case
ttf_Doug Elliott

MAESTRO TUBA?

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Even known brands of oval euphoniums are horrible in my experience.

If you have a boat, fill it with concrete and use it as an anchor.
ttf_Radar

MAESTRO TUBA?

Post by ttf_Radar »

Quote from: JohnL on Feb 16, 2017, 01:19PMLooks more like an oval euphonium to me.

Agree this looks just like the Jinbao oval euphonium played by a member of a Fire Department band I'm in.  Buying this in the described condition would be a crap shoot.  Getting it working again would probably depend on getting parts which may not be that easy to acquire.
ttf_Douglas Fur

MAESTRO TUBA?

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Feb 17, 2017, 10:21PMEven known brands of oval euphoniums are horrible in my experience.

http://www.soultracks.com/wayne-henderson-dies
There's a video with this article: Wayne Henderson playing an elliptical baritone...
ttf_Trombocholik

MAESTRO TUBA?

Post by ttf_Trombocholik »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Feb 17, 2017, 10:21PMEven known brands of oval euphoniums are horrible in my experience.

Doug, I disagree. Oval baritone sounds much better than euphonium (IMHO).
 In Russia in brass bands it is of great importance, like a cello in a Symphony orchestra.
Mr. Werden wrote about oval baritones:
"Regarding "soaring" from the baritones, I think that's where those oval horns really shine. Not because they are oval, but I think they are more conical and open than a British baritone. It is much easier to get that soaring sound when your air can move through so freely. So I'm guessing the writing within these compositions and arrangements is geared to take advantage of those particular instruments. Whatever the reason, the result is really neat and uplifting!'

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthread.php/20641-Simeon-Tchernetsky-(1881-1950)-genius-of-Soviet-march#.WOk-XaNn0b1

ttf_Trombocholik

MAESTRO TUBA?

Post by ttf_Trombocholik »

Doug, I disagree. Oval baritone sounds much better than euphonium (IMHO).
 In Russia in brass bands it is of great importance, like a cello in a Symphony orchestra.
Mr. Werden wrote about oval baritones:
"Regarding "soaring" from the baritones, I think that's where those oval horns really shine. Not because they are oval, but I think they are more conical and open than a British baritone. It is much easier to get that soaring sound when your air can move through so freely. So I'm guessing the writing within these compositions and arrangements is geared to take advantage of those particular instruments. Whatever the reason, the result is really neat and uplifting!'

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthread.php/20641-Simeon-Tchernetsky-(1881-1950)-genius-of-Soviet-march#.WOk-XaNn0b1

Return to “Found on the Net”