Am I the only one?

ttf_BillO

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_BillO »

I recently just bought something for $99.  The very next day the vendor reduced it to $79.  To me if it was worth only $79 on Tuesday, then it was more than likely worth only $79 on Monday too.  When I suggested to the vendor that they give me a $20 credit as would any retailer worth their salt, they refused.  Of course they have now lost a customer forever.

Am I wrong in my sentiment on this?

ttf_cigmar

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_cigmar »

Return the item for a full $99 credit, then buy it for the reduced $79.  Not only will you save the $20 but you'll irritate the hell out of the merchant.  He well deserves it.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

$hit happens. Deal with it. You bought something at a price that you thought was fair at the time.
ttf_jalapeno

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

Quote from: cigmar on Mar 27, 2017, 12:12PMReturn the item for a full $99 credit, then buy it for the reduced $79.  Not only will you save the $20 but you'll irritate the hell out of the merchant.  He well deserves it.

try it !

"stick it to 'the man'"
ttf_cigmar

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_cigmar »

Quote from: jalapeno on Mar 27, 2017, 01:20PMtry it !

"stick it to 'the man'"

They have to honor the return for price paid  if the item is in new condition with original packing, sales receipt, etc.  And they certainly can't deny you from purchasing it then again.
I've known more than one person who has done this exact same thing.  ]

DO IT!!!
ttf_Baron von Bone

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_Baron von Bone »

Quote from: cigmar on Mar 27, 2017, 12:12PMReturn the item for a full $99 credit, then buy it for the reduced $79.  Not only will you save the $20 but you'll irritate the hell out of the merchant.  He well deserves it.
Yup ... that's what I'd do under those circumstances, particularly if the vendor was being a schlong, mostly because the vendor needs a basic lesson in business and customer service. I wouldn't worry about it otherwise though. Some you win, some you lose, and if this situation, as-is, goes down as a loss then you're in pretty good shape.

One example I recall, back in the day ... a TV I bought at Best Buy went down and needed service in order to function. They said it would be two weeks before they could even get anyone to look at it (it was a 5' rear projection screen beast back when the big screen schtick was new). They didn't offer or accept a request for some kind of loaner--would have been fine with a cheap one. After I went a few rounds with the manager I just said, well okay then, we can do it the hard way. I bought a nice one that included free delivery and set up, and returned it within the return period. Just thought someone should 'splain the situation to the dude because he was being kind of a schlong, but I would have done that in any case on this one (more or less--wouldn't have made it less of a hassle for them though). That just wasn't acceptable customer service.

--

Pretty sure it was two weeks, not one, upon further reflection.
ttf_Dan Hine

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Would it work the opposite way?  If I bought something for $20 and then the price goes up to $35 should I be able to return it for $35?

ttf_Baron von Bone

Am I the only one?

Quote from: Dan Hine on Mar 27, 2017, 03:48PMWould it work the opposite way?  If I bought something for $20 and then the price goes up to $35 should I be able to return it for $35?
Nope ... you already got that exact benefit from buying it at the lower price. You don't get to double up. You should, however, be able to exchange the item you bought for another one, even up, if something's not right with the one you've got.
ttf_Ellrod

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

What's your time worth?
ttf_greenbean

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_greenbean »

I think the best answer depends on who the retailer is.  I personally wouldn't do it to anyone.  An agreement to do business is exactly that.  But it seems more acceptable when the seller is a big, soulless corporation.  But would you do it to Horn Guys?  Or your local music store?  These are small businesses run by real people trying to make it go it it.  They employ MUSICIANS.  How about DJ Kennedy - would you do it to him?  I have a lot of respect for small, family-run businesses.  Anyway - something to think about.
ttf_jalapeno

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

Quote from: greenbean on Mar 27, 2017, 06:09PMbig, soulless corporation.

that's pretty much who I meant as "the man"
ttf_cigmar

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_cigmar »

Quote from: greenbean on Mar 27, 2017, 06:09PMI think the best answer depends on who the retailer is.  I personally wouldn't do it to anyone.  An agreement to do business is exactly that.  But it seems more acceptable when the seller is a big, soulless corporation.  But would you do it to Horn Guys?  Or your local music store?  These are small businesses run by real people trying to make it go it it.  They employ MUSICIANS.  How about DJ Kennedy - would you do it to him?  I have a lot of respect for small, family-run businesses.  Anyway - something to think about.

Yeah, I totally agree with this.  Depends on what the item is and more importantly the seller.  If we're talking about Mom and Pop businesses, especially music related, let it be.  I'm thinking though, from the description of the original post, this is more like a Macy's selling a Keurig.  That's the impression I got anyway, and why I suggested the cause of action I did.

ttf_Baron von Bone

Am I the only one?

Quote from: greenbean on Mar 27, 2017, 06:09PMI think the best answer depends on who the retailer is.  I personally wouldn't do it to anyone.  An agreement to do business is exactly that.Which is precisely what you're doing when you impose a retailer's own policies upon him when he's practicing sorry customer service by ignoring them, and if he's a knucklehead, hoping you don't realize your options.

Another caution--always try to remember the problem could also be the employer/store manager forcing the hands of her subordinates--got to be careful about that sort of thing.

Quote from: greenbean on Mar 27, 2017, 06:09PMBut it seems more acceptable when the seller is a big, soulless corporation.  But would you do it to Horn Guys?  Or your local music store?  These are small businesses run by real people trying to make it go it it.  They employ MUSICIANS.  How about DJ Kennedy - would you do it to him?  I have a lot of respect for small, family-run businesses.  Anyway - something to think about.Yeah ... absolutely agreed. That's part of what I was getting at as well.

Ellrod has a great point there too. How much time and effort is going into how much in recovered cost? If it's a matter of principle, that's one thing, but it can be hard for many to recognize an ego thing as opposed to a genuine principle thing.
ttf_timothy42b

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Unless there was some deception involved, I'd just accept it.

I wouldn't have bought it at 99 if I didn't think that was a fair price.  I agreed to pay for it, they agreed to give it to me, the deal was done.

I'd regret that I didn't buy it the next day cheaper, but it could just as well have gone up.  I don't think I'd feel entitled to get it at the low price.  When you come in one day after a sale ends, do you demand the sale price? 
ttf_robcat2075

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

It was worth $99 to you when you bought it. Has its utility decreased since then?
ttf_Radar

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_Radar »

Retailers have sales and reduce prices all the time for various reasons, some will give you the sales price if you ask others won't. You thought the item was worth $99.00 when you bought it, and you agreed to pay that price.  It doesn't hurt to ask a retailer if they will give you the sale price, but unless they have a written policy that they will do that they are under no obligation to comply with your request. Yes it is good customer relations on their part to do so.  Bottom line you've asked they said no, move on!!
ttf_BillO

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_BillO »

I'm not going to crack a nut over $20.  I'll keep the product.  And yes, It seemed worth the original price.

But here's the rest of the story.  I've been doing business with this store for years.  More than 25 years.  I thought I knew them well enough that they would tell me about a pending sale.  It's not like there are 10,000 employees that have no clue what head office are doing from minute to minute.  There is the owner (who sold me the item) and 3 employees.

I went back in the next day to buy something else and noticed the price change.  I asked the owner if he would give me credit against the new item I wanted to buy, and he got downright hostile.

I've always been one to favor my neighbors when making a purchase and I have favored this place (a camera shop) to the tune of thousands of dollars over the years.

The reason I did not give all the details was to see what the consensus was prima facie.  So, I see about half think they should adjust the price and the other half think I should move on.  Fair enough.  I am glad to see that, just on a 'fairness of the situation' basis I'm not totally off the wall in my reaction.  Life is short, the proprietor has shown his colours, and I will move on.

Thanks to everyone that pitched in!
ttf_BillO

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: timothy42b on Mar 27, 2017, 07:30PMUnless there was some deception involved, I'd just accept it.

I wouldn't have bought it at 99 if I didn't think that was a fair price.  I agreed to pay for it, they agreed to give it to me, the deal was done.

I'd regret that I didn't buy it the next day cheaper, but it could just as well have gone up.  I don't think I'd feel entitled to get it at the low price.  When you come in one day after a sale ends, do you demand the sale price? 
Quote from: greenbean on Mar 27, 2017, 06:09PMI think the best answer depends on who the retailer is.  I personally wouldn't do it to anyone.  An agreement to do business is exactly that.  But it seems more acceptable when the seller is a big, soulless corporation.  But would you do it to Horn Guys?  Or your local music store?  These are small businesses run by real people trying to make it go it it.  They employ MUSICIANS.  How about DJ Kennedy - would you do it to him?  I have a lot of respect for small, family-run businesses.  Anyway - something to think about.
I understand what your saying, but I think any of these guys would be up front.  It's not like I asked for cash back, just a credit on my next purchase.  I'm a part-time on-line retailer. I have been known to advise an eBay buyer that I can ship late on their request if they want to save a few $$.  Some accept, some want me to ship right away and pay the extra.  It's really no skin off my nose either way, but I am sure some people appreciate the effort on my part to be fair.
ttf_Baron von Bone

Am I the only one?

Quote from: Radar on Mar 27, 2017, 08:31PMRetailers have sales and reduce prices all the time for various reasons, some will give you the sales price if you ask others won't.
In today's marketplace if a business wants to compete it needs to give at least a 30 day price guarantee (maybe 14 for lean local outfits--maybe even zip if they're a niche' type operation, plugged into a special market, that just keeps things near the margin as a matter of course). If it doesn't, particularly for a long term customer, vote with your dollars and your consumer behavior, but let the business know what's going on/why you're going with a more competitive business, or why you're not in spite of its failure to compete--give it a chance to work with you before you make any negative decisions about it.

Conscientious consumers don't only think about their own deal, they think about markets and consumers as a whole. All this said, truly solid customer service and locality are worth a fair chunk--those kinds of operations should get a lot of room.
ttf_timothy42b

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

What I think is unethical, and really hurts small business, is to spend time shopping in the store, maybe even working with the salesperson to figure out the best product, then buy it cheaper on line.

ttf_BillO

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: timothy42b on Mar 28, 2017, 05:08AMWhat I think is unethical, and really hurts small business, is to spend time shopping in the store, maybe even working with the salesperson to figure out the best product, then buy it cheaper on line.

Yes, that is undeniably unethical.  I usually do something of the reverse.  Do my research on-line, then ask a local merchant if they can get he product I have decided to buy.
ttf_BillO

Am I the only one?

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: timothy42b on Mar 28, 2017, 05:08AMWhat I think is unethical, and really hurts small business, is to spend time shopping in the store, maybe even working with the salesperson to figure out the best product, then buy it cheaper on line.

Yes, that is undeniably unethical.  I usually do something of the reverse.  Do my research on-line, then ask a local merchant if they can get he product I have decided to buy.

Return to “Chit-Chat”