Edwards Bass Bones

ttf_zarkosis

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

What's up with all these Chinese copies appearing on eBay now? One was listed last week with Thayer's and now this one, that looks nothing like an Edwards at all except the mounting but things. Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/142420292698
ttf_zarkosis

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

Note: bell connector shape is different and the valve section is nothing similar to any section Edwards makes. He also does not show part numbers or a serial number.

I'm only like 99% sure this is fake, correct me if I'm wrong.
ttf_Davey

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_Davey »

Could be wrong, but to my eyes it looks like a Getzen 1062 with an Edwards bell.
ttf_zarkosis

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

Edwards bells have a round base where it connects to the bracing rather than the diamond shaped one on this horn. The getzen horns also do not have dismountable stuff but I suppose you could add it back on.

Plus he does not state this on his listing if it is the case.
ttf_zarkosis

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

It looks like a stock getzen 1062 but with mounting hardware. The bell has the engraving of an Edwards but with the design of a 1062 (bell connector shape). I'm gonna go with it being fake.
ttf_Matt K

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Hard to tell with quality of pictures. I've seen a few dependent rotor Edwards that look similar though. Fwiw.
ttf_zarkosis

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

I messaged him to take pictures of the model numbers on bell to clear up confusion. But his account hasn't been used before this, and I doubt he will respond if it is fake.

The larger question i was trying to ask was why the fake Edwards are so prominent? Like, I've seen two (excluding this one) sold to people being marketed as a real one, but all the other fake horns I see are obviously fake and labeled as manufactured there. I feel bad for those who shell out thousands on a fake horn thinking it's real, hopefully this one isn't and I'm just crazy!
ttf_Euphanasia

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

I'd be careful about labeling horns fake based on whether they match up with modern horns built by a manufacturer. Edwards went over to axials a while ago, but they certainly built horns with double dependent rotors. The engraving on the other fakes was clearly counterfeit, and looked nothing like Edwards engraving. This one looks to have pretty standard Edwards engraving.  I'd be more inclined to see this one as a real Edwards than a fake one.
ttf_Rich C

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_Rich C »

why not just check with Edwards?  They're pretty helpful people!
ttf_elmsandr

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Aside from the main bell flange and the missing second overlap brace on the tuning slide, this looks 100% stock Edwards to my eyes.  Those diamond flanges are readily available as Getzen Custom parts, and if somebody wanted to re-mount a removed Edwards flare, they are just as easy for a tech to get as the rounded ones.

To my eye, I always liked the diamond flanges better anyway.
Andy
ttf_zarkosis

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

Alright, it's good to know it's most likely legit. But I do know quite a few fake horns have surfaced recently, I've been skeptical every time I see one listed. I still think that if an owner lists a custom horn they should tell everyone what mods have been done or what parts are on it.

I took a second look and you can see something where all the model nums should be so I'm gonna assume it's a real one.
ttf_greenbean

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_greenbean »

I am sure the seller is thrilled that you wrongly announced that his horn is fake. 
ttf_growlerbox

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_growlerbox »

This is why children shouldn't be allowed to use the internet.
ttf_mr.deacon

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

That one looks real.

Edwards did make rotor sections that were identical to the Getzen rotor valve sections for a number of years. Hard to tell if this one is stock from Edwards or modified from an existing 1062... all the parts look OEM.
ttf_BillO

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: growlerbox on Yesterday at 02:36 PMThis is why children shouldn't be allowed to use the internet.
If you want your kids to stop using the internet, just tell them they should be doing it.
ttf_zarkosis

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

Didn't know about the old Edwards using getzen rotor sections until today, it's good info to have. I tried to find really old pictures of Edwards on the web before even posting this and tried to check everything I could- but still couldn't find anything that looked anything like this horn (except the regular getzens), and I still can't.

The old Edwards horns still had model numbers for everything, correct? I still don't understand why they aren't listed on the listing if they are.

I appreciate you guys clearing this up.

Changed title
ttf_elmsandr

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: zarkosis on Yesterday at 06:17 PMDidn't know about the old Edwards using getzen rotor sections until today, it's good info to have. I tried to find really old pictures of Edwards on the web before even posting this and tried to check everything I could- but still couldn't find anything that looked anything like this horn (except the regular getzens), and I still can't.

The old Edwards horns still had model numbers for everything, correct? I still don't understand why they aren't listed on the listing if they are.

Changed title
Well, probably half the folks that own Edwards horns don't know that there are numbers stamped on the tail of the bell.  On older Edwards valve sections, the serial number on the slide receiver can be nearly impossible to read when new.  My D lever pivot was soldered right on top of it from the factory. Not everybody cares about such things. Heck, try asking 10 random people what engine their car has.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_elmsandr

Edwards Bass Bones

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: zarkosis on Yesterday at 06:17 PMDidn't know about the old Edwards using getzen rotor sections until today, it's good info to have. I tried to find really old pictures of Edwards on the web before even posting this and tried to check everything I could- but still couldn't find anything that looked anything like this horn (except the regular getzens), and I still can't.

Changed title
Well, probably half the folks that own Edwards horns don't know that there are numbers stamped on the tail of the bell.  On older Edwards valve sections, the serial number on the slide receiver can be nearly impossible to read when new.  My D lever pivot was soldered right on top of it from the factory. Not everybody cares about such things. Heck, try asking 10 random people what engine their car has.

Cheers,
Andy

Return to “Found on the Net”