Anyone interested in Wagyu Beef?

ttf_Georgilocks

Post by ttf_Georgilocks »

It's very tasty and extremely expensive. It may be the secret to developing your trombone abilities.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

My son and I bought two striploin steaks once, of the Kobe variety.  Each was about a pound - total cost $120.  They were very nice, but not 5 times nicer than select "AAA" steaks for about $24 for two.

We had to try them though. Image
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I had wagyu in Tokyo in 2007. It was tasty. I think I was more impressed that the bento meals in 7 Eleven were better than fancy Japanese Restaurant food is in the states.

Maybe steak isn't my thing, but I'd take gyuu-nabe , unagi-don, or honmono no raamen any day over the far pricier wagyuu.

Don't get me started on Nihon ni aru Denny's. Redonculous.
ttf_ronkny

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Wag you is fantastic but ridiculously expensive.
Cook your next steak "Sous-Vide". You'll never buy wagyu again.  IMHO.
ttf_MrPillow

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Never been a fan of beef, though the occasional steak tartare is enjoyable. I can't imaging paying that much for a steak.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Many exotic tastes here that I am not accustomed to.

"Wagyu" is a superset of "Kobe" apparently.  I've read that there really is no "Kobe" beef available outside of Japan.

Quote from: ronkny on Jul 05, 2017, 09:33AM

Slow-cooked, in a vacuum somehow, up to 48 hours (per Wikipedia). This is why I don't cook.  The time frame of elegant food preparation is beyond my patience.

Quote from: MrPillow on Jul 05, 2017, 10:09AMNever been a fan of beef, though the occasional steak tartare is enjoyable. I can't imaging paying that much for a steak.

Basically raw hamburger. How do people eat that without getting parasites?  Image

ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

The actual muscle tissue of an animal is not as likely to contain parasites as something like ground beef, which likely has intestines and poop mixed into it. Steak tartare shouldn't be made with ground beef. It's still risky even when made with top quality beef. Maybe flash freezing it, like with sushi, makes it safer?
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

once again, per Wikipedia...

QuoteParasites
Toxoplasma gondii is a parasite that may be found in raw or undercooked meat.[11] Cultural differences in raw meat consumption are thought to be a cause of regional variation in the prevalence of toxoplasma infection (ranging from around 55% in France down to 10% in the United Kingdom).[12] Due to the risk of congenital toxoplasmosis in the fetus, pregnant women are advised not to eat raw meat.[13] Latent toxoplasmosis in adults, though not as harmful as congenital toxoplasmosis, has been associated with psychological effects[14] and lower IQ[15] in some studies.
I probably already have the toxoplasmosis for the cats. I'll eat the cats raw and see how that goes.

Irradiating raw meat would kill stuff but it's not legal in the US, mainly due to unfounded radiation-phobia.

ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Jul 05, 2017, 11:00AMThe actual muscle tissue of an animal is not as likely to contain parasites as something like ground beef, which likely has intestines and poop mixed into it. Steak tartare shouldn't be made with ground beef. It's still risky even when made with top quality beef. Maybe flash freezing it, like with sushi, makes it safer?
I've had  it prepared by taking the small end of a tenderloin, partly flash freezing it, then trim off all meat that has been exposed to air before the freezing then shaving it up in very thin slices.  It should be served before 100% thawing occurs and eaten soon.  Something like Carpaccio.

Raw chopped meat sounds dangerous.
ttf_MrPillow

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Jul 05, 2017, 10:41AMBasically raw hamburger. How do people eat that without getting parasites?  Image

I have no idea, and don't really care to. I eat it so rarely and have never had any ill effects I've never been concerned.

ttf_B0B

Post by ttf_B0B »

Wagyu? Not terribly interested. I have a hard enough time justifying the price of a nice steak dinner at a restaurant. The few I've had, they were good, but really not much better than I can do on my own.

Per tartar, I do like blue rare sometimes... Basically a hard, quick sear on the outside, and still pretty raw on the inside. Best on the more tender cuts. Though no, not worries about parasites. They aren't common in beef, especially steaks.
ttf_Roebird37

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Quote from: ronkny on Jul 05, 2017, 09:33AMWag you is fantastic but ridiculously expensive.

My husband asked for a sous-vide machine for Christmas.  It was a lot of money, and I was convinced it was the emperor's new clothes, but I love him and want him to be happy so I bought it.  I then prepared myself to make enthusiastic noises about his cooking.

It was absolutely the best turkey I have ever eaten.  The steak was also the best I've ever eaten.  Then the pork was the best I've ever eaten.  And so on.

On the downside, it's pretty much ruined us for meaty restaurant meals.
ttf_B0B

Post by ttf_B0B »

If you don't have the fancy machine, a way to get a better cooked steak is to start it room temperature (so put it on the counter an hour or two before to let it warm up) and bake in the over at 275 to get to your level of doneness, and pull out to let rest for 10 minutes. Then sear on a very hot grill or cast iron pan for 45-60 second a side to get that nice crisp outside. If using cast iron... be prepared for lots of smoke. Gets a nice even cook, very tender, without the grey banding of overcooking.
ttf_bonearzt

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Jul 05, 2017, 10:41AMMany exotic tastes here that I am not accustomed to.
"Wagyu" is a superset of "Kobe" apparently.  I've read that there really is no "Kobe" beef available outside of Japan.
Slow-cooked, in a vacuum somehow, up to 48 hours (per Wikipedia). This is why I don't cook.  The time frame of elegant food preparation is beyond my patience.
Basically raw hamburger. How do people eat that without getting parasites?  Image 

Can't remember which government doesn't allow "Kobe" beef in the US,  read it somewhere.
But this is why the "wagyu" became "popular"  in the meat snob circles.  Similar to Kobe,  but not quite up the that standard...

Whatever...my two favorite steak places are Texas Roadhouse and Carvao Brazilian Steakhouse in Flower Mound.

Eric

ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Jul 05, 2017, 10:41AMMany exotic tastes here that I am not accustomed to.

You may be right.  The ones I got were "Kobe style".  According to the pamphlet they gave when I bought them the cattle they came from  were raised in Alberta.  However the breed was supposedly from Kobe stock. Image

They were good, just not $120 good.
ttf_B0B

Post by ttf_B0B »

Quote from: bonearzt on Jul 06, 2017, 07:20AMCan't remember which government doesn't allow "Kobe" beef in the US,  read it somewhere.
But this is why the "wagyu" became "popular"  in the meat snob circles.  Similar to Kobe,  but not quite up the that standard...

Looks like it is actually legal AND happening...
http://www.kobe-niku.jp/en/contents/exported/index.php?y=2017&page=2
http://www.kobe-niku.jp/en/contents/exported/index.php?y=2017&page=4

It's just that well, Japan is small to begin with, and Kobe has to come from a certain region in Japan... so the amount is incredibly scarce as is, and only a bit of that small amount is exported.

Anything rare has those that seek if simply for its rarity. I ain't paying that!
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I'm sure it would all be wasted on me.
ttf_Georgilocks

Very interesting. I still would like to try it, but I guess it's not worth the price.
ttf_Georgilocks

Very interesting. I still would like to try it, but I guess it's not worth the price.

Return to “Chit-Chat”