How did you end up using the slide lubricant you use now?

JeffBone44

Re: How did you end up using the slide lubricant you use now?

Post by JeffBone44 »

I use Slide-o-mix Rapid Comfort. Before every application, or every other two at the most, I clean the inner slide tubes with the Slide-o-mix cleaning system. I'm getting good results, sometimes it will last for days. Once a month I'll add a very small dab of Spacefiller TS to the stockings.

If your slide is dirty, almost nothing will work well. I'm pretty religious about keeping my slides clean now, because nothing discourages me from practicing more than a poorly functioning slide. I need to start doing the same thing with my valves and keep them well oiled.
ronnies

Post by ronnies »

Trial and error. I find the trombone itself will tell you which lube to use and you may end up with different lubes for different trombones. My 1980s Bach 42 likes trombotine but my Shires bass likes Rapid Comfort.

Ronnie
Shires Tru-Bore (Bb/F/Gb/D)
Bach Stradivarius 42 (unlacquered bell)
Excel Bb/F/Gb/D (Chinese made Yamaha YBL-613G clone)
Alzitra

Post by Alzitra »

I was originally given some trombotine for my very first trombone. My slide always felt only a little better after using it, so I thought that trombone slides just feel bad. Then, when I got my Yamaha allegro freshmen year and some Yamaha slide lube, I fell in love. Used Yamaha slide lube on everything sense, and has worked like a dream, even on my first trombone.
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

Music shop recommended Blue Juice for my trumpet, based on feedback from local professionals. Had been using Al Cass Fast for years, but I like the Blue Juice better, lasts a lot longer, and valves/slide work smooth. It’s my one bottle system, trumpet, euph, trombone, rotors on French horn, and tuba. No complaints on any of the horns.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Anything called Snot has GOT to be good!...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Trombotine high-school and college. That stuff will gum and layer if you are not peculiar about cleaning. Started to use slide o mix but found it difficult to get the correct mix. So, I ended overusing one bottle or the other, stuff was expensive. The already mixed version is serendipitous, blue juice for both rotors. Ultra pure was to thin and my rotor seized.
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque

Return to “Maintenance”