Medium bore trombone for all around brass band?

none4u

Medium bore trombone for all around brass band?

Post by none4u »

Hey folks,

I play in a really special community band. We play a wide range of music genres(hardcore, afrobeat, jazz, balkan, salsa, folk punk, microtonal rock) and we tend to run pretty thinly scored for a big band since all the music is written or transposed by band members.

I'm looking to upgrade my trombone from an old blessing scholastic that I have a few problems with(slide could be better, intonation not great, closed sound etc), and I'm looking at a Bach 36 corporation with a removable bell section(I love the sound of sterling silver and would like to have the opportunity to upgrade when money becomes available).

I'm thinking a medium bore could be really good for the music I'm playing, because depending on song I might be playing jazz soloist lead, main harmony, or doubling on the bassline. all these would obviously be best served by multiple different trombones, but I can't be taking multiple instruments to gigs.

I've always had above average lung capacity and tend to find my small bore doesn't take enough air, what do y'all think about getting a medium bore for my usecase? What do you think of the Bach 36 corporation convertible?
tbonesullivan

Re: Medium bore trombone for all around brass band?

Post by tbonesullivan »

Bach 36's are solid horns. They were what Vincent Bach considered to be the ultimate orchestral trombone at the time, though now sizes have moved up a bit from that time. The Bach 42 is actually a combination of the Bach 36 and Bach 45 that they kind of threw together.

Bach 36 convertibles are really nice if you want to play a straight horn some time.

I think for all around playing, a good .525 horn can't really be beat.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

I’ve played a 36B in all of the genres you described. Highly recommend
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Are you specifically looking for an F attachment instrument, or is the "removable" bell just the straight neckpipe and you're thinking about getting multiple bells for it?

Reason I ask is I have a franken-Yamaha that I'm selling that sounds like it would be a good fit for you, but it's a straight horn. If you later found a sterling bell, it shouldn't be very expensive to mount it or make modular.

Otherwise, a 36B is a solid all-around instrument.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Play what you like.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Maybe a King 3B/F is worth a look? I find it can handle a lot of air, noticeably more than the .500” or smaller horns I’ve tried.

With a larger mouthpiece, it should be more than possible to double the bassline. The trigger register is surprisingly good. Everything else the OP mentions seems to be right in the money zone of a 3B.

One advantage of the 3B is that the sterling silver bell versions are relatively common in the used market, at least compared to any other horns out there. I’ve seen used silversonic 3B/F go for surprisingly little money, not that much more than a convertible Bach 36. It should be possible to start with a brass 3B/F and keep an eye out for a silver bell in the future.

Nothing wrong with a Bach 36 either btw, I’m just suggesting the 3B/F as an alternative.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

3BF SS is a really good recommendation if that's the long-term goal. The King 607F i also an underrated horn IMO and pretty similar, albeit in medium bore.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

I have a 0.525 (or 0.522(?)) Conn 79H that I am happy with. For versatility it can’t be beat. Bach and King have built good 0.525 horns, too. I have had good results covering varied parts with a King 2b and a Bach LT6. The older Kings seem to blow more open. I get a good low range with either. The 79H has the advantage of being confused for a 78H by conductors and section leaders. Some of the stuff I play gets pushback from people with preconceived ideas. Play what makes you happy.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
jcmiller

Post by jcmiller »

I am required to provide a lot of sound as the lead low brass player in the Veterans Band of Corpus Christi (Texas) and as the trombonist for its Funky Rock Jazz Band (both are on Facebook if you are curious). I was using my old King 4B but wanted something smaller and less valuable (we play outdoors a lot). Retired, I cannot afford a King 2B or 3B. I stumbled on a good solution: an old Selmer Signet ("Designed by Vincent Bach"; Bach did his mouthpiece work in the Selmer facilities). The serial number suggests the horn is from the 1980s. The inner slide chrome was in very good condition, and it had one wrinkle in the bell (since straightened). I've done a lot of oxidation removal from the insides, and have most of the old lacquer off of it. Replaced the slide bumper corks. I have the slide working quite well now using the techniques of The Slide Doctor (he had worked on my 4B). I get a strong, penetrating sound from this Signet horn, including in the low register. I'm quite pleased with it. It's a smaller bore horn with a 7.5" bell and about a .438” bore. Total investment less than $200 for the purchase and the bell work.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

It has to be larger than 0.438". even 0.465" was obsolete when this was made. Probably 0.485" or 0.500".

The Signet was a good step-up horn. I believe it replaced the Mercedes. Selmer and Bach were the same company at one time. Selmer sold in Europe and sold saxophones in the US; Bach sold brass in the US.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
jcmiller

Post by jcmiller »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:22 am It has to be larger than 0.438". even 0.465" was obsolete when this was made. Probably 0.485" or 0.500".

The Signet was a good step-up horn. I believe it replaced the Mercedes. Selmer and Bach were the same company at one time. Selmer sold in Europe and sold saxophones in the US; Bach sold brass in the US.
You were correct, of course. My bad measurement. Just passed the Signet along to a student and am now playing a King-Clevelend 605. Slightly lighter horn and slightly lighter outer slide.

Return to “Instruments”