Playing and performing after open heart surgery

deanmccarty

Playing and performing after open heart surgery

Post by deanmccarty »

I wasn’t exactly sure which category to put this in…

I’m going to be having open heart surgery in about 3 weeks to replace my pulmonary valve. I was wondering if anyone else on the forum has had open heart surgery. If so, what was the timeline before you were able to play again? I know it takes 2-3 months for the sternum to heal. I would think picking up the horn is the biggest problem. I already use an ErgoBone, so holding it won’t be a problem (I think)… but I still have to pick it up.

I’ve had to sub out all of my playing commitments through December… but I’m hoping to be able to get myself back in shape to be back on the saddle by January. Any advice is welcomed!
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
BrianJohnston

Re: Playing and performing after open heart surgery

Post by BrianJohnston »

Not open, but i've had closed heart surgery back in 2007 due to a benign heart tumor. The tumor was zapped using small amounts of direct voltage on the area. 2 catheters through each upper thigh, 1 catheter through my neck.

I was told to not exercise or walk more than 5 minutes at a time for an entire month. In your case they recommend 2-3 months.

I would personally recommend not even lifting your trombone up until your doctor gives you clearance. Work on lip exercises, listen a ton, watch interviews, listen to podcasts. I'd say you have a good excuse to take it easy and focus on all of the things you normally wouldn't have time for. Hope my thoughts of a silver-lining come in handy, and hope the surgery goes well.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

Welcome to the club ! I had open heart surgery in January of 2021 to replace a malfunctioning mitral valve. The hardest part of the ordeal to me was the fact that you are restricted from raising your hands over your head for at least 8 weeks to give the sternum bones a chance to knit properly. After the "filet" procedure, the bones are wired back together. If you are fortunate to avoid the full opening of the chest cavity and can have your repair done with a small incision between the ribs, your recovery should be much quicker than mine proved to be. I was playing bass trombone, albeit a lightweight Butler carbon fiber C-12, about 5 to 6 months later and have had no restrictions since. Aside from an occasional urge to "oink"---- I received a pig valve---- everything went very smoothly. You'll be delighted with your improved sense of alertness and energy. Please let us know of your result. Good luck !
Last edited by 2bobone on Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Hi Dean,

I had open heart surgery in November 2019. Went to the doctor complaining about pain in my left shoulder....that actually turned out to be some mild arthritis in my cervical spine. However, the symptoms sent me on a cardiovascular journey. After visiting several doctors and having several tests, I ended up on the operating table getting quadruple bypass at age 56. Turned out that heart disease is in my family and now my entire family has regular visits with a cardiologist.

2bobone nailed it. My doctors were very concerned about the sternum healing properly. I was also not allowed to put my hands above my head or lift things. They trained me to pull my elbows into my stomach and place my fists under my chin when standing, sitting, etc..... This prevents you from supporting your weight in awkward ways with your arms and shoulders. I had to sleep in a lazy boy style chair for 8 weeks.....not allowed to sleep on my side in a bed because that puts your sternum under stress.

They will ask you to use an inhalation spirometer frequently as you recover. The doctors like those because they help prevent fluids from accumulating in your lungs. I saw the spirometer as a gauge of my recovery. I tried to use it several times a day and gradually saw my lung capacity get back closer to normal.....it gave me encouragement.

I actually started playing alto trombone (very light weight) after about 10 weeks, then tenor P-bone a week later and worked my way back to all equipment (including bass trombone) over the next 1 or 2 months. It was a slow process, but I was able to get in tip-top shape just in time for the start of the pandemic in mid-March 2020.

I believe most hospitals have cardiac rehab facilities or they are networked with one. You will probably need post-surgery clearance (an easy stress test at about the 8 week mark) to start cardiac rehab, but I highly recommend it. I thought the cardiac rehab training was excellent and I really enjoyed it. In addition to the treadmills and stationary bikes, they will teach you very specific weight lifting (very light dumbbells) exercises that you can do as you get stronger. My program even included a series of classes on cardiac health topics. Good stuff!

Best of luck to you! Let us know about your progress.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
bassboneman69

Post by bassboneman69 »

Hi Dean,

Hoping nothing but the best with your surgery and a quick, return to playing.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Best wishes for a successful surgery!

I've known several people who had such surgery but none were trombone players or even musicians. And they were all elderly so it was hard to discern a difference between their regular routine and a post-surgery routine.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

Thanks everyone for your comments… I’m less than two weeks out from my surgery date. I’m hoping for a smooth time in the hospital so that I can begin recovery. I haven’t talked to the doctors about anything specific to playing or performing. I’m hoping that by January I should be playing again. I’m slightly anxious about the surgery and recovery, but I know I’ll get through it.
Dean McCarty

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

My father (who was a good trombone player) had a big heart op - 3 valves I think - he was "tootling" (seemed a good word for relaxed almost purposeless shallow breathing notes) within a couple of weeks. His theory was to just keep his embouchure ready. I think he was peforming in about 3 months... Doug
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

Just an update for everyone… my surgery was a success! I was instantly working on breathing the day after the surgery. I’m only up to about half of the capacity that I had before the surgery, but each day is a little better. I made it home three days ago. I pulled out the pBone to start playing. Much more difficult than I thought, but I intend to stay with it. My goal is to be at full strength on the bass trombone by December. Baby steps though… I still can’t even pick up a bass trombone, much less play it.
Dean McCarty

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

deanmccarty wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:30 pm Just an update for everyone… my surgery was a success! I was instantly working on breathing the day after the surgery. I’m only up to about half of the capacity that I had before the surgery, but each day is a little better. I made it home three days ago. I pulled out the pBone to start playing. Much more difficult than I thought, but I intend to stay with it. My goal is to be at full strength on the bass trombone by December. Baby steps though… I still can’t even pick up a bass trombone, much less play it.
Great news. I think music and looking forward to being active again have healing powers in themselves.

I know it's not the same, but between my quartet and quintet, we have 3 members who have had brain surgery. Music has been part of their treatment in all cases. Best of luck going forward.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Glad to hear that the surgery went well - best wishes for a full and quick recovery!

Jim Scott
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

Congratulations ! Now you'll really know what to do when the conductor tells you to "Put your heart in it" ! You've got the right idea about baby steps. Stick with a straight tenor until your body says it is ready for a bass. You'll know when, believe me !
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Glad to hear you are doing well Dean! Keep using the inhalation spirometer. While we brass players use it as a gauge of lung capacity, the medical people see it as one of the best ways to clear fluids out of your lungs…..apparently, that is big problem for some people coming out of heart surgery.

If you are playing some trombone already, you are probably at the point where you can take longer walks or walk very slowly on a treadmill. Do it….it will increase your strength and endurance. Also, try to walk up and down steps regularly. At your stage, you probably get a little winded going up one flight of steps. If you do it several times a day, you can actually start measuring your progress. For example, when I was able to go up and down two flights of steps without it knocking the wind out of me, I really felt like I was making progress.

Hang in there Buddy!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
baBposaune

Post by baBposaune »

deanmccarty wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:30 pm Just an update for everyone… my surgery was a success! I was instantly working on breathing the day after the surgery. I’m only up to about half of the capacity that I had before the surgery, but each day is a little better. I made it home three days ago. I pulled out the pBone to start playing. Much more difficult than I thought, but I intend to stay with it. My goal is to be at full strength on the bass trombone by December. Baby steps though… I still can’t even pick up a bass trombone, much less play it.
It's tempting but don't be in a hurry. Like practicing hard licks slowly over many weeks, let your body get stronger over TIME. Lay down fundamentals away from the horn!

Did they send you home from the hospital with a "Voldyne?" Use it.

When the great Arnold Jacobs was laid up he only played his mouthpiece. Why not follow that example?

It seems like you have set yourself a specific time goal. After major surgery you should ask plenty of questions on post op visits with your doctor and take it one step at a time.

All the best, Dean!

Matt Varho
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:34 am Glad to hear you are doing well Dean! Keep using the inhalation spirometer. While we brass players use it as a gauge of lung capacity, the medical people see it as one of the best ways to clear fluids out of your lungs…..apparently, that is big problem for some people coming out of heart surgery.

If you are playing some trombone already, you are probably at the point where you can take longer walks or walk very slowly on a treadmill. Do it….it will increase your strength and endurance. Also, try to walk up and down steps regularly. At your stage, you probably get a little winded going up one flight of steps. If you do it several times a day, you can actually start measuring your progress. For example, when I was able to go up and down two flights of steps without it knocking the wind out of me, I really felt like I was making progress.

Hang in there Buddy!
Thanks so much!
Dean McCarty

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

baBposaune wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:21 pm
It's tempting but don't be in a hurry. Like practicing hard licks slowly over many weeks, let your body get stronger over TIME. Lay down fundamentals away from the horn!

Did they send you home from the hospital with a "Voldyne?" Use it.

When the great Arnold Jacobs was laid up he only played his mouthpiece. Why not follow that example?

It seems like you have set yourself a specific time goal. After major surgery you should ask plenty of questions on post op visits with your doctor and take it one step at a time.

All the best, Dean!

Matt Varho
I started buzzing while I was in the hospital. I broke out the pBone just to try and get some long tones in… it wasn’t pretty. I’m using the spirometer several times a day. I have my first follow up with my general practitioner Wednesday, and I have a list of questions. My second follow up is on Oct 21 with the surgeon and his team… I plan to do whatever they advise. I’m just hoping that by December I’ll be playing again… we shall see.

Thanks Matt!
Dean McCarty

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Levito

Post by Levito »

I had open heart surgery when I was 13 and I can’t say I was the best model but I’d say my lung capacity probably increased. Probably had to do with the result of surgery. Glad yours was a success and good luck!
Ebert

Post by Ebert »

Best wishes for a full and quick recovery!
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

For anyone reading this that will be going through OHS… I had my surgery on August 31… for at least 3 weeks there was zero playing… then I did long tones on my pBone for a couple of weeks… then I did spare playing on my large bore tenor for a while until I checked to see if I could even lift my contra… after 8 weeks I was able to lift the contra gently and play on it for about 5-10 minutes at a time, with about 30 minutes rest in between…

Now… just over 12 weeks out… I am finally able to play all of my horns with no problem. Actually… the alto gave me more fits than the big horns… the pressure in the high range pushed against my sternum… it wasn’t really painful, but it was a slight discomfort.

Now… time to get myself in shape for Christmas gigs!
Dean McCarty

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Congratulations! Welcome back!
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

You know ---- being passionate about our love/nemesis, the trombone, has brought many out of the depths of despair and I think that "deanmccarty" has just provided another example of how nurturing the trombone is to one's soul. Welcome back !

Return to “Performance”