Mouthpiece recommendations needed

Jim

Mouthpiece recommendations needed

Post by Jim »

Hi everyone!

(tl;dr recommend large mouthpieces for a Bach strat 42 and Yamaha Euphonium 842)

I’m new here and I’m in need of some mouthpiece advice. I’m a former tuba player that doubled on bass trombone 20 years ago in college. I stopped playing after college but recently decided to start playing again, and purchased two horns. I never played enough trombone to really get much into the nuisances of mouthpieces and I think I’m in need of some very basic resources. Perhaps some folks here can assist with their experience? I’ve listed all of my instruments and mouthpieces at the very bottom of the post.

I don’t own any mouthpieces for the Yamaha 842 euphonium or the Bach Strat 42. I prefer larger mouthpieces, or at least larger rims, so if anyone has recommendations, I would greatly appreciate your input!

It seemed that when I tried to put my bass trombone mouthpiece in the Bach 42S, it was the correct width, but an incorrect length.

Are there mouthpieces that will work on the Bach 42, Yamaha Bass trombone and Yamaha 842? Are they the same bore? If they won’t work, why not? Are there any custom mouthpiece manufacturers that make mouthpieces that will work for all of these instruments or is there another reason I wouldn’t want to use the same mouthpiece for each of them. (I played tuba for over a decade with a Conn Helleberg). Perhaps I’m missing something? Please help!

Current instruments:
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-842S (purchased non working on eBay at a steal of a price and it’s currently getting overhauled).

Trombones:
1952 Conn 6H
1960’s American Standard (literal wall hanger)
1972 Bach Stradivarius 16
1983 Bach Stradivarius 42S
1999 Yamaha YBL612RII Bass

Mouthpieces:
Schilke 59 (bass)
Getzen 1 1/2G (bass)
Vincent Bach 18C (small bore)
Vincent Bach Corp Mt. Vernon NY 22SC (small bore)
E-Z Tone 12C (small bore)
Unmarked (looks similar to a vintage Conn Remington, but it’s not). (Small bore).

Thank you very much!

Warmest regards,

- Jim
LIBrassCo

Re: Mouthpiece recommendations needed

Post by LIBrassCo »

Ballpark suggestions, my 28mm bass bone mouthpiece, my 25.5mm tenor, or 25.5mm with a 26mm rim if you'd like a larger rim, then my 24.75mm for the small shank stuff. Thats probably a good place to cover all your basses with the info you provided.

Www.librassco.com
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Jim, today I pulled out my 42B from its parking lot and put in my 26.5mm (~1.04") JK Klier Exclusive 4F. which is in use on my small bore tenor 0.500. For adapter use. Plays very well on the 42B. It is by no means a small rim. If you're in the U.S., you might want to ask Doug Elliot as well or look for the Klier 4 series at Thomann's online shop. The Kliers aren't necessarily cheap stuff, but I'm willing to buy a large shank model, if that thing turns out to be reliable on large bore in the long run.
Klier calls the F series shallow, but, no, it's not really. Kliers are usually on the deep to very deep side, so that's why they name it this way.

Regards, John
Hear, Ear !
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

There is no one size fits all between bass, tenor, euph, and small tenor.

At best you might be able to do the same rim/cup diameter on all of them, but not so with the rest of the mouthpiece. I personally would not be messing around with vastly different cup widths as suggested above, but some people can do it. The 2G size, 1.06", seems to be a goldilocks size.

Doug Elliott can help you.

My suggestion, based just in the fact that you're a bass player:

Bach 42 - DE XT106N/F/F8
Euph - XT106N/H/H9 (or whatever shank he says fits that euph model)
Small tenor - XT106N/C+/D3
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Talk to Doug Elliott, save yourself time and money
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

Closest you would get would probably be a bach 3g. Wouldn't be perfect but would get the job done.
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

I use a Wedge 3G in my eupho, bass bone & the rare times I use a large bore tenor.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

If you wanted to use the same rim size on all of them it's certainly possible with my system, but the question would be, which will be your primary and which could you compromise on? If bass is your primary horn and the 59 was your best choice on that (I'm guessing), my LB series can work for all of them with a 113 rim (same size as the Yeo). Probably a K cup/K8 shank on bass, an I/I8 on EUPH, and a G/G8 on tenor. For small tenor I have several choices of shallow cups that also work well with the same rim, with small shanks.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Jim

Post by Jim »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I appreciate it!

- Jim

Return to “Mouthpieces”