Bass trombone cases

AndrewMeronek

Bass trombone cases

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Hello, I'm hoping to get some thoughts on replacing my bass trombone case. My current case is a Getzen that came with the horn. Solid case, but it's starting to get pretty beat up and I'd like to find something lighter. Probably a "soft" case, because I don't plan on doing air travel with it. Just for local use.

Thoughts?
Experiences?
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Burgerbob

Re: Bass trombone cases

Post by Burgerbob »

If you can trust yourself, a nice gig bag is great.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Dent bags are great! Instrument techs LOVE them!

What about a hybrid case like a BAM or a Gator? Of course, there’s always Marcus Bonna if you really want to protect your investment…
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Kbiggs wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:43 pm What about a hybrid case like a BAM or a Gator? Of course, there’s always Marcus Bonna if you really want to protect your investment…
For some, hybrid cases make a lot of sense. But I want one case per horn.

One of the Marcus Bonna cases is definitely an option.

- Thelonious Monk
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:48 pm If you can trust yourself, a nice gig bag is great.
The rest of my horns all have Cronkhite cases. They're great. But I'm not sure where to get a Cronkhite bass trombone case, or if they rate as well.

- Thelonious Monk
JoeStanko

Post by JoeStanko »

This is one of Tom Rice’s bags sitting next to me in a pit at a matinee today. I live in New York City, don’t own a car and take public transportation. I like my MB case but it’s heavy - Tom’s bags are terrific.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I have my King 7B in a Cronkhite (Reunion Blues) bag. Works great with moderate protection (i.e. good for casual bumps but not necessarily for a big fall). My big beef about Cronkhite is the accessory bag, which can bounce around in the bell section.

I used to have it in an Altieri. Altieris have great slide protection and so-so bell protection. Also, if you overload it (which is a temptation) you can pull the shoulder straps out.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:16 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:48 pm If you can trust yourself, a nice gig bag is great.
The rest of my horns all have Cronkhite cases. They're great. But I'm not sure where to get a Cronkhite bass trombone case, or if they rate as well.
Superfine is what you want! That's what I use for my bass.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:07 pm
AndrewMeronek wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:16 pm

Superfine is what you want! That's what I use for my bass.
Contact "greenbean" (Tom Rice) here on TromboneChat.
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

I used the large Getzen coffin for about 2 weeks before resolving to get something else to prevent slipped disks and hernias. I'm quite happy with the Eastman hard case. Accommodates backpack straps or a shoulder sling.

https://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/tro ... -black.php

I made a small addition to by buying a hard foam cone at an arts & crafts store, cutting it so only an inch would extend from the bell, then covering it with black felt self-adhering flocking paper. Steve Ferguson and Jay Friedman describe using cones or rubber balls to protect the rim of large diameter bells. Put the cone in the bell so any "land-on-the-end" stress is transmitted to the throat of the bell where it is much stronger, and tuck the cone and bell into the Eastman case. I'm reasonably comfortable with gate-checking with the Eastman case and cone-protected bell if asked to relinquish it.

It securely holds my Getzen 1062 - stacked rotors, open wrap, axhandle installed.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I recently bought a Marcus Bonna Baby Soft Case to replace the heavier MB case as my everyday carry-around-town case. It's essentially half hard case, half gig bag, significantly lighter than the standard MB, and also less expensive.

https://hornguys.com/collections/trombo ... -baby-soft

The only downside is there's not much room for oils, etc., and the music pocket on the outside is very small. But if part of the goal is to keep weight down... I bought a compact makeup bag of Amazon that fits the oils I need and tucks in between the bell and the small accessories section where the mouthpiece lives.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

My once brand new motorcycle jacket accumulated bug stains, usage wear and abuse over the many years that I owned it. I thought it showed that I was a "rider" and not just a "shiner" and, by its example, garnered some respect in the cycling community. Apparently, an ageing trombone case does not generate the same respect. Pity ! :shuffle:
biggiesmalls

Post by biggiesmalls »

FWIW I have a brand new BAM for sale: https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php? ... &hilit=BAM
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.

- Thelonious Monk
tailgate

Post by tailgate »

:biggrin: Does anyone know if a Getzen 1052 will fit in a Eastman bass case or Superfine bass case.
Main concern is the D paddle.
Thanks
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Nice to hear the kind words above. Thanks, guys!

Tailgate, Superfine bags are out of production at the moment, and I am still unsure if they are coming back. I do have a some bags in stock, including a few for bass trombone. You can email me if you want more info.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

tailgate wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:37 am :biggrin: Does anyone know if a Getzen 1052 will fit in a Eastman bass case or Superfine bass case.
Main concern is the D paddle.
Thanks
Yup.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

greenbean wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:21 pm Nice to hear the kind words above. Thanks, guys!

Tailgate, Superfine bags are out of production at the moment, and I am still unsure if they are coming back. I do have a some bags in stock, including a few for bass trombone. You can email me if you want more info.
That's a huge bummer!! Really dig my case, and I was thinking about a contra case from you as well.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

It be appears that pro-tec bass trombone cases are still available on the pro-tec site. It appears to be similar to my Hume and berg galaxy case that has held Up 21 years. Not as light as a gig bag but slightly more substantial.

When traveling in a pov, wrap the case in movers blanket available from harbor freight or Jc Whitney. I have only replaced the movers blanket once in 10 years, and that may have been from damage by a dog chewing on it.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

GabrielRice wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:13 am I recently bought a Marcus Bonna Baby Soft Case to replace the heavier MB case as my everyday carry-around-town case. It's essentially half hard case, half gig bag, significantly lighter than the standard MB, and also less expensive.

The only downside is there's not much room for oils, etc., and the music pocket on the outside is very small. But if part of the goal is to keep weight down... I bought a compact makeup bag of Amazon that fits the oils I need and tucks in between the bell and the small accessories section where the mouthpiece lives.
I ended up going with this option. Received it in from Hornguys (after they had to wait on receiving an order from Brazil) and it's pretty much exactly what I wanted. The only thing that is slightly concerning is the F trigger. There is a pad to protect it but it seems like that pad is barely thick enough, and may actually be a tad too shallow compared to how far the trigger sticks out. But it'll work, the case is designed for easy carrying, not perfect protection. And I don't really need a whole lot of room for other accessories; I have an entirely different gig bag for all that stuff anyway.

- Thelonious Monk
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

GabrielRice wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:13 am I recently bought a Marcus Bonna Baby Soft Case to replace the heavier MB case as my everyday carry-around-town case. It's essentially half hard case, half gig bag, significantly lighter than the standard MB, and also less expensive.

Hi Gabe, what is your confidence level with the slide and bell section not touching? I had a regular MB bass trombone case with the slide in the lid. Despite my best efforts I could not find a configuration where the slide and bell were far enough apart for my comfort.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

MTbassbone wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:44 pm Hi Gabe, what is your confidence level with the slide and bell section not touching? I had a regular MB bass trombone case with the slide in the lid. Despite my best efforts I could not find a configuration where the slide and bell were far enough apart for my comfort.
I don't have that worry with the regular MB case - unless, of course, I forget to strap one of the parts in. The best thing about the regular MB case is those big velcro straps that keep the components from moving around.

The Baby Soft Case also has velcro to keep the slide from moving, and a cover that goes completely between the slide and bell section. I'm not worried at all about that.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

GabrielRice wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:10 am
MTbassbone wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:44 pm Hi Gabe, what is your confidence level with the slide and bell section not touching? I had a regular MB bass trombone case with the slide in the lid. Despite my best efforts I could not find a configuration where the slide and bell were far enough apart for my comfort.
I don't have that worry with the regular MB case - unless, of course, I forget to strap one of the parts in. The best thing about the regular MB case is those big velcro straps that keep the components from moving around.

The Baby Soft Case also has velcro to keep the slide from moving, and a cover that goes completely between the slide and bell section. I'm not worried at all about that.
What prevents pressure from the valve section being strapped in from putting pressure on the slide?
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

There is a rigid piece that the end of the slide tucks into, keeping it all the way down. I don't think the bell can get far enough in that direction to put pressure on it.

If it makes you that nervous, don't do it, but MB sells a lot of cases and the only damage I've ever seen or heard of from one was due to user error.
Jimprindle

Post by Jimprindle »

Bunch of colleagues chipped in on my 60th birthday and gave me enough to buy a Marcus Bonna case. I’m 75 now and the case has held up through many miles of travel including overhead in airplanes. Never any damage to horn or case. I love it.

Return to “Accessories”