Longtime Doubler

Important Trombone Chat information starts here.
Eupher

Longtime Doubler

Post by Eupher »

I'm a euph player primarily, but I've played tenor and bass trombones for decades. Retired from the U.S. Army 28 years ago as a euphoniumist, and not only do I still play but I started playing tuba as well about 13 years ago. I've been putting in more time on bass bone and I'm reminded that holding the horn up for more than a half hour at a time yields a special kind of pain.

I currently have a Bullet Brace on my Edwards, but I'm looking to try something else. The Neotech seems reasonable and I ordered it a few minutes ago. Will check it out and report back.

I was mostly a lurker on the old Trombone Forum, but I see it's now defunct. No problem -- this site appears to be a solid community and I'm glad to have registered.
hyperbolica

Re: Longtime Doubler

Post by hyperbolica »

Welcome, lots of doubler company around here. For the bass bone, the Ergobone is an awkward but effective way to support the weight. Nothing else actually takes the weight off of your hand/wrist/arm.
Eupher

Post by Eupher »

hyperbolica wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:31 pm Welcome, lots of doubler company around here. For the bass bone, the Ergobone is an awkward but effective way to support the weight. Nothing else actually takes the weight off of your hand/wrist/arm.
Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.
Eupher

Post by Eupher »

Well, I checked it out and I can now see what you mean about the Ergobone being awkward. I can also see what you mean about nothing else actually taking the weight off.

I think I'm just gonna suck it up and develop enough strength in my left arm to keep the horn up for at least a half hour non-stop. I'm 66 and not in the best shape, so I've got some work to do.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I played with a guy who was much older and had Parkinson's tremor. The ErgoBone helped him control the tremor and play (a Yamaha 354). He had the one that connected to a shoulder harness.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Eupher

Post by Eupher »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:16 am I played with a guy who was much older and had Parkinson's tremor. The ErgoBone helped him control the tremor and play (a Yamaha 354). He had the one that connected to a shoulder harness.
Understood. I don't have Parkinson's so a tremor isn't the issue. It's just developing enough chops to hold the horn for a period of time. Sounds silly, but nobody said playing bass trombone was easy!

I believe Dave Taylor once said that there is no pain quite like playing bass trombone. He's at a level where he would know.
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

Look up Mark Rippetoe online and learn his weightlifting principles - not necessarily the amount of weight he lifts. I play bass and at 74 have little trouble with hour long sets.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I've been using the Neotech strap for my bass bone since around 2008. It works like a charm! I had Carpal Tunnel problems in my left hand and the operation for it in 2008. Tore up my left rotor cuff/shoulder in 2012, and did it again in 2018. The Neotech is the reason I still play bass bone! I am 71 and going strong 5-6 nights a week on bass, tenor, alto trombones - and euphonium and tuba.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================

Return to “News & Announcements”