Eugëne Bozza’s writing style???

Fireinthebones

Eugëne Bozza’s writing style???

Post by Fireinthebones »

So I am learning New Orleans by Eugëne Bozza and I noticed that there is no key Signiture and it is simply written with a bunch of accidentals. It is also in 4/4 shown as Common time and some of it is in 2/4 but nothing unusual and for the entirety of the beginning section there are no bar lines. Is this how he notates all of his pieces? Or just this one to bully bass trombonists?
James
KWL

Re: Eugëne Bozza’s writing style???

Post by KWL »

Bozza is an equal opportunity instrumentalist abuser. His “Giration” brass quintet was a bear for me to sight read. It didn’t help I was covering the tuba part on bass trombone. Both the C and Bb versions of the trumpet and the horn parts had the same key signature (none).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

Both things are pretty common for 20th century compositions. The unmetered spots are cadenza with minimal piano. It’s a nice piece. Enjoy!
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

For music where any note is just as likely to need an accidental as not, key signatures tend just add another layer of complexity and doubt.

No key signature and all-accidentals-explicitly-notated is the convention for atonal music and makes sense for highly chromatic tonal-ish music.

In the age of human-copied parts it helped make errors between part and score less common... and easier to spot when they occurred.

Your instrument is non-transposing but for transposed-instruments the practice reduces the mental gymnastics of copying and checking parts.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”