Tomasi concerto

Bach5G

Tomasi concerto

Post by Bach5G »

How is the Tomasi concerto regarded? I see a few YouTube videos but otherwise not much mention of it.

I have a copy on my bookshelf. It’s been there for a long time. My impression is that it isn’t in the first eleven of trombone concerti.
Kdanielsen

Re: Tomasi concerto

Post by Kdanielsen »

Definitely one of the top concertos I’d say as far as frequency of performance. David, Grondahl, and Tomasi. It’s also one of the better pieces in the rep in my opinion.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack »

I definitely think of it as "standard" repertoire a lot of great recordings from guys like Ko Ichiro, Lindbergh, Van Rijen off the top of my head also on a personal note I do like the piece.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Definitely a "top 5" of the standard tenor trombone concertos. I played it with my orchestra, and have had a couple of students play it on a recital. The orchestral accompaniment adds a lot too. I haven't heard any of the band/wind ensemble transcriptions, but I would guess that they also add a lot to a performance of this piece.

Jim Scott
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

It's regarded as one of the top concertos in the repertoire because it's playable. It's better than the David, IMO.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I had it in my mind that the Tomasi was unplayably high but I see that it tops out at a C in trouble clef. Maybe a D. No big deal really.
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

In Europe it’s considered core repertoire since for a long time; many trombonists will play it at conservatory or university. It has occasionally been used as an audition piece for principal trombone as well.
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack »

Bach5G wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:42 pm I had it in my mind that the Tomasi was unplayably high but I see that it tops out at a C in trouble clef. Maybe a D. No big deal really.
Not sure if it was a typo or an intentional joke but I love "trouble clef" I'm definitely gonna use this at some point lol.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I like the Tomasi concerto. It's a great opportunity to hack at major repertoire that can be approached with more of a light touch and delicacy than some of the other "major" trombone works.

And I think to get it really right, it's a pretty tough piece of music to handle. A great challenge.

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

DakoJack wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:43 pm
Bach5G wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:42 pm I had it in my mind that the Tomasi was unplayably high but I see that it tops out at a C in trouble clef. Maybe a D. No big deal really.
Not sure if it was a typo or an intentional joke but I love "trouble clef" I'm definitely gonna use this at some point lol.
Well, I meant treble but trouble works too. :)

Return to “Performance”