New Double Case (Tenor+Bass) by Bags

EriKon

New Double Case (Tenor+Bass) by Bags

Post by EriKon »

There's a new double case by Bags on the market. They just released a video where it is shown a bit more in detail than on the usual pictures. What do you think about?
Burgerbob

Re: New Double Case (Tenor+Bass) by Bags

Post by Burgerbob »

Link!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
rabiddolphin

Post by rabiddolphin »

EriKon

Post by EriKon »

Sorry forgot about the link xD thanks rabiddolphin!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Hmm. Seems large, but not sturdy enough to check... my bags are much smaller, and the bonna fits in an overhead (and could be checked)
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:27 pm Hmm. Seems large, but not sturdy enough to check... my bags are much smaller, and the bonna fits in an overhead (and could be checked)
May I ask what other Double cases (preferably bass+tenor) you have except for the Bonna?
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I have the older Bags tenor and alto case which was not too expensive, but seems relatively safe and reliable.
Would be great to see double cases, especially tenor/bass that are stable, practical and not too expensive...

This one to me somehow isn't really convincing. I wouldn't totally trust the way the horns are put in there.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

EriKon wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:03 am
Burgerbob wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:27 pm Hmm. Seems large, but not sturdy enough to check... my bags are much smaller, and the bonna fits in an overhead (and could be checked)
May I ask what other Double cases (preferably bass+tenor) you have except for the Bonna?
Haha it's embarrassing but I have a Reunion Blues double tenor bag, and Cronkhite double bass bag and double tenor/bass bag.
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

this is another rebranding of the tortejada/bags of spain/la musa double case, right?

i've really loved using those for the last 6 years or so. it always fits on planes and i've never had any problems with instrument safety personally.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
fsgazda

Post by fsgazda »

It certainly doesn't look as sturdy or secure as my Bonna double tenor/bass case, but I wouldn't mind something a little lighter.
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
fsgazda

Post by fsgazda »

So you have carried the double tenor/bass on? I've carried on my MB bass case, but not the double.
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

fsgazda wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:43 pm
So you have carried the double tenor/bass on? I've carried on my MB bass case, but not the double.
I don't have one myself, but I have 3 friends that do. I'm pretty sure two of them have flown and carried it on. I'd also feel safe enough checking one of those.
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:56 pm
fsgazda wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:43 pm

I don't have one myself, but I have 3 friends that do. I'm pretty sure two of them have flown and carried it on. I'd also feel safe enough checking one of those.
I know Alex Iles flies with the MB tenor/bass case. He's posted a number of pictures of it in the overhead bins, so he's been able to get them in and on.

I've had the Bag of Spain alto/tenor bag for 7 years are so and really love it. Don't use it as much as I used to, but it's incredibly compact and works super well for flying. However it's strength is how wildly small it is- it's super compact but the case itself has a lot of flex, especially side to side and in the centers...where the slides live. I'd be very anxious to check it. This tenor/bass case, to me, just seems to lack the compactness of the alto/tenor but with more side to side flexibility. I agree with Aidan that it just seems quite big for what it is, which is a strange shift from their other multi-instrument cases.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
slidefunk

Post by slidefunk »

Regarding the Bags case, I don't like where they've chosen to hold the slides. Those long sides are high impact areas, and how thick is the padded flap between the slide an bell section?

It looks less tapered than the Bonna, but roughly similar in dimensions. The Bonna only fits in some overheads.
fsgazda wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:43 pm So you have carried the double tenor/bass on? I've carried on my MB bass case, but not the double.
I own the Bonna and have traveled with it a bit now. If it's a 737 or larger, it will probably fit overhead IF you get on the plane early enough during boarding. Not to mention it's heavy when loaded up, so take care not to hurt yourself or others when getting it up there and taking it down.

I take mine through security to the gate and get a pink tag for it. It gets handled once onto the plane and once off. I would never check it at the counter with my luggage. The shell is just a little too flexible for that much handling, IMHO.

Return to “Accessories”