Contrabass questions

dershem

Contrabass questions

Post by dershem »

Finally ordered a contra, and I have couple of questions:
1) What would be a good stand for one? I have a regular Hamilton for each of my regular bones, but... taller, and bigger bell, which might mean higher chance of getting the top of the stand stuck or of falling over.
2) Practice mute? The one I have for my tenors won't even fit my 3062. Any recommends?
3) I have a Marcinkiewicz 107 for it, which should serve well, but any of you who already have a contra - what surprises should I expect?
Thanks!
Kevbach33

Re: Contrabass questions

Post by Kevbach33 »

I assume this is a contra in F, yes?

1. Only a handful of stands will work with F contrabasses. Off the top of my head, Woodwind Design ($$$) and the Horn Guys ($$) make one. There may be some others I don't know about.
If it's in BBb, the K&M 14990 and the heavy 14910 will likely work the best.

2. Not sure here... Maybe a mute for a British baritone? (Think Denis Wick.) Could be a bit too big though.

I can't help on 3. Others who have actually played contrabass trombone can offer more guidance.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

1. I use a Sheridan stand, very beefy. I wouldn't use a normal K&M, even the 14990.

2. I don't have anything that fits mine. Contra is one of the last instruments I would want to play with practice mute, though. FWIW, my contra straight mute is a british baritone mute.

3. It might be fine, I like a little more weight in my contra mouthpiece, though- and the 107 is pretty small contra wise. There's lots out there that will work, a DE setup might be the ticket. I personally use a Greg Black CB with a DE rim.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

3. Josef Klier/JK offer some relatively affordable contra mouthpieces. They are good and widely played, at least in Europe. You might want to make sure you get the correct shank size - contras are not all the same from my knowledge. (my JK contra mouthpiece fits just barely into a normal bass receiver)
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
Johnstad

Post by Johnstad »

Congratulations! Which brand?

Replies below…

1) What would be a good stand for one? I have a regular Hamilton for each of my regular bones, but... taller, and bigger bell, which might mean higher chance of getting the top of the stand stuck or of falling over.

Sheridan Brass makes a very sturdy and stable stand. Horn Guys also sells a collapsible lightweight carbon fiber stand.

2) Practice mute? The one I have for my tenors won't even fit my 3062. Any recommends?

Rejano Mutes makes a contrabass trombone practice mute.

3) I have a Marcinkiewicz 107 for it, which should serve well, but any of you who already have a contra - what surprises should I expect?

I have use the 107 they make great mouthpieces. I prefer my Greg Black CB, Medium weight, Futuro.
EdwardSolomon

Post by EdwardSolomon »

Denis Wick Products Baritone Travel Practice Mute is my go-to for the contra. Fits in the bell and stored in the case.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

dershem wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:48 pm 1) What would be a good stand for one?
I used the K&M 14985 for tenor and bass trombone for a long time. However, it is not high enough for contra.
For the contra I then bought the K&M 149/1 Bass Trombone Stand, but was not so happy with that either

After some research I finally bought the stand from Kolberg . It is by far the most stable stand I've ever had. For all, bass, tenor and contra.
If it wasn't so expensive, I would replace all my stationary stands with it.

For on the road, I'm still waiting for the stand from WoodWindDesign, otherwise there is also a foldable version from Kollberg.

dershem wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:48 pm 2) Practice mute? The one I have for my tenors won't even fit my 3062. Any recommends?
I use my Best Brass practice mute, it also fits my contrabass trombone.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

I'm sure they're fine, but those Kolbergs are insanely expensive for something you could easily make yourself from a cymbal stand and some common sense (as per Sheridan and Hornguys).

Return to “Accessories”