Dissonance ring

wesleyrubim

Dissonance ring

Post by wesleyrubim »

Hi guys
Last week I was at the Lätzsch factory in Germany and they showed me something called a dissonance ring.
This controls the vibration of the bell and you have more stability to play and also the sound changes.
I thought it quite impressive, then I looked on the internet but I couldn't find anything similar.
Have you guys already seen something like that?
Last edited by wesleyrubim on Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GabrielRice

Re: Dissonance ring

Post by GabrielRice »

Well...cut the bell at that point and put threads on either side and you have the latest fad in custom trombones. And you can fit it into a much smaller case.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

There have been other weights that people apply to the throat of the bell to help tame certain resonant vibrations. Plus, when you cut a bell and make a screw connection, it has the same effect that you mention. Other home remedy type of solutions have been a few wraps of duct tape, or some fabric with velcro wrapped around the bell.

"Changed" doesn't always mean the same as "improved".

Of course Thein and Laetzsch are great makers, I'd listen to what they have to say over a bunch of people you don't know on a trombone forum.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Id much rather have a consonance ring personally
Sander

Post by Sander »

I remember that Christian Lindberg introduced (and still uses) his Resistance Balancer, which is not more then a piece of cloth wrapped around your bell to improve resistance and darken the sound.
Made in 3 sizes, and the biggest one also had slots for a metal rod to insert to further improve resistance and darken the sound even more.

I used to have this on my King 4B, but somehow I've lost it.
Would be curious as to see what it does to my current playing and current instruments to be honest.
Sander
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

wesleyrubim wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:27 pm Last week I was at the Lätzsch factory in Germany and they showed me something called a dissonance ring.
This controls the vibration of the bell and you have more stability to play and also the sound changes.
I thought it quite impressive, then I looked on the internet but I couldn't find anything similar.
Have you guys already seen something like that?
Was the ring looking like this?
laetzsch_absorber_ring.jpeg
I myself bought such a ring from Lätzsch more than 10 years ago. At that time, you could still see "Amrein Germany" as an imprint.

I had the ring on my trombone for several years and had it polished and lacquered at some point.

Last year I decided to have a screw bell attached instead of the ring to be able to use a smaller case.

In my opinion, the ring has very similar sound characteristics to the Screw Bell, even if it sits a little higher on the bell.
laetzsch_absorber_ring_screw_bell.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I have an Amrein ring on the bell of my 88H to control some ringing on certain notes. Works like a charm!
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================

Return to “Accessories”