Help! Which to buy: Bach 36 or 42?

Burgerbob

Re: Help! Which to buy: Bach 36 or 42?

Post by Burgerbob »

brassduoDJ wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:01 pm Any thoughts on a great larger diameter mpc for the 36?
Doug Elliot E cup with your choice of rim.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I went from a 4C to a Wick 4BS. If you can tolerate the rim it's larger and I found it a great match for a Bach 36. A Doug Elliott LT102E/E4 is even better, if more expensive.

How soon is the David performance? A few months may not be enough time to acclimate to new equipment.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

I tend to use a 5Gish size on my 36
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Another vote here for the 36B....for college I was "forced" to buy a 42B by my teacher. Dark murky sound, lots of hard work at ff, "dead" tone at low volumes, did not like it. Then when I learned on this chat that the 42B concept was slapped together at Bach with a bass trb slide, 36B attachment with slightly larger bell, I lost all respect. The 36B was "through-designed" from a blank piece of paper and is a silky, comfortable delight to play.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
cboalesjr

Post by cboalesjr »

I have read several places that a Bach 6.5 AL is a great mouthpiece for the 36. Supposedly it provides more weight to the lower registers.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

cboalesjr wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:02 pm I have read several places that a Bach 6.5 AL is a great mouthpiece for the 36. Supposedly it provides more weight to the lower registers.
Bach 6½AL is a popular mouthpiece choice for the Bach 36 trombone, for several valid reasons. Lots of other choices in that general size range will also work well - some already listed here, including Doug Elliott's.

My recommendation, since it appears that you're just getting used to this size trombone: Pick a mouthpiece (6½AL or similar size) and play it for at least 6 months. Only if it doesn't seem to work well for you should you spend the time and money seeking a "better" piece.

Good luck - and have fun!
martinfan

Post by martinfan »

Hey, I know I'm late to the gig here but my primary brass instructor, the late great Professor Roger Thorstenberg of Bethany College, Lindsborg, Kansas frequently commented that when it came to trombones, the Bach 36B was THE ultimate trombone to have for many reasons, one of which it was a superior lead instrument. If I were in the market (which I am not as I am rediscovering my 88H that one of his esteemed students chose for me) that is what I would go for. Good luck!
cboalesjr

Post by cboalesjr »

Thank you! Appreciate your feedback. Charlie
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

brassduoDJ wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:01 pm I am dealing with the very same dilemma - and am leaning strongly towards a 36 BO. I could also buy a Shires or New Vintage Conn or Getzen 3047. For some reason it just does not make sense to work harder than I really need to. I am performing the David in a few months and have experimented with several trombones including a Bach model 50 single rotor bass. The .547 bore is workable but I want it to be effortless and be able to nail the hard stuff at the end of the concertino strong. Planning on using a 4C small shank mpc. Any thoughts on a great larger diameter mpc for the 36?
Most players like a 5G or 6.5 AL on a 36. Bach mouthpieces are great matches to their horns of course.
As far as not wanting to work too hard, the wide slides on Bach 42s require a bit more work, but if you try one of the new narrow slide 42s you might like it. Otherwise the 36 is a fine choice. Decades ago I had a teacher who played his in the Philly recording studios, and even covered a few bass bone parts on it.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
cboalesjr

Post by cboalesjr »

Thanks, good advice! Looking to get a 6.5AL myself. Think brassduoDJ will be very happy with a 36. Best wishes. Charlie
cboalesjr

Post by cboalesjr »

Not thinking my previous effort(s) ever made it to you, since it doesn't appear here. My take, after looking through most of the threads under Performance, is try a Bach 6.5AL or contact Doug Elliott! Best wishes. Charlie

Return to “Performance”