Greetings from Cambridge, MA

Important Trombone Chat information starts here.
mselva

Greetings from Cambridge, MA

Post by mselva »

In September 2022, I heard a marching band called the School of Honk (http://schoolofhonk.org)at a local "porch fest" event. At the end of the performance, I heard an invitation that I could not refuse: "Join us every Sunday afternoon, even if you've never played in a band before, even if you don't have an instrument." When I showed up, someone handed me a trombone and showed me how to play a low B flat. It was the first time I had ever handled a brass instrument.

Four months later, I now own my own horn (a 30 something year old King 606), and little by little I am learning the band's repertoire which includes Oye Como Va, Superstition, Ghostbusters, and Green Onions. The founder of the band is a trombonist name Kevin Leppmann who has put together his own arrangements for horns, reeds, and percussion.

I stumbled into Trombone Chat when I googled a question related to embouchure. This board appears to be a tremendous resource for a beginner like me.

Michel Selva
Kingfan

Re: Greetings from Cambridge, MA

Post by Kingfan »

Great story. Welcome!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
mselva

Post by mselva »

Here is a bit of background about School of Honk: Once a year, we participate in a weekend-long street party called the Honk Fest (https://honkfest.org). During the rest of the year, we get together for a weekly practice session, followed by an outdoor performance if the weather permits. Here is a link to a recent video of us performing Oye Como Va just outside the gates of Harvard University. As you can see, there are LOTS of trombones!

Last edited by mselva on Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Be sure to check out the Somerville Porchfest on May 13!
Adamthelemonite

Post by Adamthelemonite »

Yeah, welcome! Stick with it, it's a hot instrument
Joebone

Post by Joebone »

Too Cool! Sorry that scene didn't exist when I was living up there...

Return to “News & Announcements”