Conn 72H - Mutes Needed

SDG

Conn 72H - Mutes Needed

Post by SDG »

I'm still actively playing my late '50s vintage Conn 72H. It was designed as a single-rotor bass but I use it for section work because of its resonance, power, and big, warm sound in the low & middle registers. And, frankly, the horn fits me like a worn-in pair of loafers.

I'm in need of a straight mute and a cup mute but am having trouble putting my hands on one. Tenor mutes are too small, bass mutes too big: 9.5" bell, large bore (0.562" handslide).

Help?

P.S. Also, any guidance on a case or good-quality gig bag.
Kevbach33

Re: Conn 72H - Mutes Needed

Post by Kevbach33 »

Try getting your hands on the Humes and Berg 170 (straight) and 171 (cup). If my memory serves, this was the size of bass trombone these mutes were designed for (also King Symphony, Duo Gravis and 7B; Bach 45; maybe Olds S20/23; and they work well in large tenors). There's a possibility you may need to build the corks up some (for intonation and cup clearance) but not too much.

As for a case, the 7xH slides are longer than almost all stock and aftermarket cases and bags will allow to fit. This makes searching tricky without going custom, modifying an existing case, or seeking out and rebuilding an original.

Good luck.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I use a Denis Wick "Adjustable" Bass Trombone Cup Mute (DW5533) [convertible to a halfway decent straight mute] on my vintage 1969 Conn 71H. Bell is probably similar to your 72H. The mute works great!

The ProTec MAX bass trombone case is pretty good, lightweight, reasonably protective, and very affordable.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I've never had a problem using any of my normal bass trombone mutes in either of my 72Hs, and the slide fits fine in my Cronkhites.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Thanks Kevin. Just ordered them. We'll know for sure in 3 days!
SDG
Kevbach33 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:34 pm Try getting your hands on the Humes and Berg 170 (straight) and 171 (cup). If my memory serves, this was the size of bass trombone these mutes were designed for (also King Symphony, Duo Gravis and 7B; Bach 45; maybe Olds S20/23; and they work well in large tenors). There's a possibility you may need to build the corks up some (for intonation and cup clearance) but not too much.

As for a case, the 7xH slides are longer than almost all stock and aftermarket cases and bags will allow to fit. This makes searching tricky without going custom, modifying an existing case, or seeking out and rebuilding an original.

Good luck.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Thank you for responding. The original hard case served its purpose for 50 years and has gone to paradise. I've been using the standard ProTec and, while it is lightweight, it's not very robust or protective enough for the environments in which I find myself. I'll look at the MAX case.
Posaunus wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:35 pm I use a Denis Wick "Adjustable" Bass Trombone Cup Mute (DW5533) [convertible to a halfway decent straight mute] on my vintage 1969 Conn 71H. Bell is probably similar to your 72H. The mute works great!

The ProTec MAX bass trombone case is pretty good, lightweight, reasonably protective, and very affordable.
Lastbone

Post by Lastbone »

I have a protec gig bag for my 73H, and the tenon sticks out of the pocket a bit. My fix is to put a 20 cent PVC coupler from the hardware store on the end for protection. May have to sand the inside a bit.
I've had no problems with this arrangement, except that my dog likes to chew on the plastic...
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

SDG wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:36 am Thanks Kevin. Just ordered them. We'll know for sure in 3 days!
SDG
You may need to trim the corks if they are too big.
Steve
YunoWho

Post by YunoWho »

Hi, sorry to revive this chat again. I have a Conn 71h and am having trouble finding a Humes and Berg 170 straight mute anywhere. The closest thing I could get was the tenor equivalent. Should I look around more for a 170 or do you think this might be okay?
Thanks
YunoWho

Post by YunoWho »

When I have the mute in it doesn't give much a traditional straight mute sound. The notes become slightly airy and weird. Do I just need to shave down the cork or find a 170? I'm not very familiar with straight mutes..
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

I use a Beversdorf in a Duo Gravis. It has been re-corked. There is a Beversdorf on ePoop. It is not cheap and needs to be re-corked.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas

Return to “Accessories”