Looking for a double trombone case

Smithbonee

Looking for a double trombone case

Post by Smithbonee »

I’m in the market for a case to hold two horns. Right now I have a Bach 42 and a Yamaha 891z that I would love to be able to carry together in one case. I know people often buy a double case for a tenor and a bass trombone, and I wonder if that would be a good option to have space for a bass in the future, even if that slot was filled by a tenor at the moment. In terms of budget, I don’t have a number but something relatively affordable would be nice. I don’t plan on flying with this case. I’m also not opposed to using a gig bag, if that were the best option.

I would love some input or suggestions on what kind of case I should be looking at, brands to consider/not consider, and general feedback. Thanks!
Burgerbob

Re: Looking for a double trombone case

Post by Burgerbob »

A double Reunion Blues or Cronkhite is definitely the cheapest and easiest way to get into that segment. I use my tenor/bass bag all the time.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I have a new (a few years old but never used) Reunion Blues black leather double gig bag to sell for $400. I use one just like it for my .547 alone, or with a small tenor or alto.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:12 pm A double Reunion Blues or Cronkhite is definitely the cheapest and easiest way to get into that segment. I use my tenor/bass bag all the time.
This.

I have small (can squeeze small tenor and large tenor with F in it) and medium (fits up to bass and large tenor with F) Cronkhite bags that do what I need, depending on what I'm called for. (I do have a separate lightweight case for bass if I'm only playing that.) Great foam, slide holder had a wood/fiber board for stiffness, and they come with 2 padded pouches for lube, mouthpieces, etc. Get the medium if you plan on getting a bass in the future (there's also a large size that can fit 2 basses, but that's too big for most). The only inconvenience is having to carry your bone stand separately.

Some here have posted positive things about the Gewa double case, though you may need to wait on them to produce one.

Hope this $.02 worth of opine helps.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I should mention that I actually have the tenor/tenor, tenor/bass, and bass/bass bags all... the others are mostly for storage!
Smithbonee

Post by Smithbonee »

Thanks for the great feedback! I’m checking out all the options.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I am tentatively in the market for a double case as well. Needs to fit a Bach 50B open wrap and a Bach 42B open wrap.

I currently have an Altieri which I bought used in new condition. It fits the bill, but I have always been concerned about gig (aka dent) bags. I’m not hard on my horns, but I’m anxious about mystery dents and the dreaded auto-closing doors.

I’ve thought about the Gewa; see the comments above. Can’t beat it for price, and it looks to have more protection that my Altieri.

Thoughts about the Marcus Bonna? I know it’s heavy, but it would also be the most protective, aside from a Tank.

What about Bags of Spain? Do they make a bass/tenor double case, and who carries them here in the States?

What about DAC? Do they make a bass/tenor double case?

Any others?
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Bonna is good, just large and heavy. It's a little larger than my Cronkhite but also 20+ pounds more.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The gewa double case has better protection than the Cronkhite or Reunion Blues bags. My Cronkhite case was WAY less useful than I thought it would be. Storing the thing vertically in a locker, etc, with two horns in it and a squishy base was a disaster.

I have a Reeves Brass double case that is awesome, but I think they made like two runs of them and then the guy folded.

Get a case, not a gig bag. Just my two cents.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

The Gewa case/bag is potentially safer then Reunion Blues/Cronkhite but probably (I don't have a Réunion Blues/Cronkhite double myself) less comfortable to carry around and not as beautiful if that matters. Plus the Gewa from my knowledge is only made for up to two basses, so with small and large tenor you will waste quite a bit of space.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h

Return to “Accessories”