Trombone tech(s) in central TX area

Bassbonetyler

Trombone tech(s) in central TX area

Post by Bassbonetyler »

Hello, this is my first post here. I'm looking for someone in a 30 or 40 mile radius of Temple or Waco, Texas that can do the following things on my 613G:
Convert trigger and linkage to Edwards spatula type 2nd valve lever
Convert F trigger lever and linkage to an over-thumb design with a wooden cover similar to standard edwards or most other common models
Align slide
Bring 2nd rotor back into round (was dropped during routine cleaning - still functions great, just bothers me because I know it is there)
Dent work for minor main tuning slide and bell damage

Possibly delacqeuring the bell and or slide? still trying to find more info on how unlacquered vs lacquered responds.

I know of 2 people, but I don't think either of them are in the area I want to stay in
Posaunus

Re: Trombone tech(s) in central TX area

Post by Posaunus »

This is a lot of work - probably beyond the capabilities of many local techs.

I would have an "expert" do these modifications. I know it's beyond your desired travel radius, but Eric Edwards (Bonearzt on TromboneChat) in the Dallas area has an excellent reputation for trombone repair and modifications. You might want to contact him for advice: 972-795-5784. Could be worth the longer drive!
baBposaune

Post by baBposaune »

Eric would be number one choice. No good techs/custom people in Austin?
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Hmm, haven't really heard many people complain about the ergonomics or action on a 613G. The under lever does take getting used to, but I can also see why it would need to be changed. Thankfully the rotor stop plate is at the bottom, so it shouldn't be a big issue.

Eric Edwards does great work, and this is definitely the kind of work you want to be done by a great tech.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Bassbonetyler

Post by Bassbonetyler »

baBposaune wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:56 pm Eric would be number one choice. No good techs/custom people in Austin?
Not that I know of, but I haven't looked too much. I got the number of the guy that does Baylor's repairs and maintenance and I'll take it to him in the summer and then to Edwards later for the trigger work.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The other guy in the DFW area is Eric Swanson. He doesn't participate in The Chat, but he is well regarded as a tech.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JMudge

Post by JMudge »

There was Kent Winking at Sam Bass Music in Round Rock, but I double checked and the shop closed. Unfortunately, I don’t know of anyone else that close to you.

I would definitely echo the comments for Eric Edwards up in DFW. He’s outside of Denton. There’s also a guy here in San Marcos that I would highly recommend. Many folks in the Austin,San Antonio, Hill Country areas use him. If you want that as an option I can check with him this week to see what his workload is like. If you want close to Waco I would definitely start with the Erics in DFW.

J

Return to “Modification & Repair”