Recommended <$200 beater/backup?

Austinato

Recommended <$200 beater/backup?

Post by Austinato »

I recently sold my Yamaha 448g beginner that I had kept since I was a beginner for marching, and now I do not have a horn for my required marching credit. I'll probably only be marching for one more semester, and sometime around or before this summer I'm going to buy a cheap horn just to march with since I'm not marching either of my daily drivers.

Basically, if choosing between a pBone, a used facebook marketplace beginner or a cheap chinese amazon clone, which would you all recommend? I'm not expecting Thein quality or anything, I just want to know what would be the most consistent so that if I have to use it as a backup horn for big band it wouldn't be too jarring of a change while not spending $500-$1000.

I love my 2b, so I've considered a used King like a 606 but I don't know how the quality varies on their beginners to their pro horns. I've also heard good things about pBones, and I have a mini (Eb alto) but I don't know how they would actually holdup in a playing setting.
Burgerbob

Re: Recommended <$200 beater/backup?

Post by Burgerbob »

Yamaha 354.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Avoid a Pbone. Yamaha 354 is an excellent choice.
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Don't know how a pBone or a cheap Chinese clone would hold up to marching, but I wouldn't want to try. Student horn from King, Conn, Yamaha, Getzen, etc. would be best. For instance, there is a King 606 near me that is cosmetically ugly but plays fine for $75. The Yam 354 has a great reputation for being a great player and able to hold its own in a jazz setting, and I find some on Facebook Marketplace for $200 and under.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Austinato wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:56 amI love my 2b, so I've considered a used King like a 606 but I don't know how the quality varies on their beginners to their pro horns.
King 606 will work just fine for marching and emergency backup. Likewise for the already-mentioned Yamaha 354. Student Conn would also be adequate.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I got a used King 606 (vintage 1985) from a reputable music store for $250 to donate to a needy student.
Perhaps I lucked out, but it's a really fine trombone. It would be great for your need. Please skip the pBone!
jonphilpott

Post by jonphilpott »

You can sometimes find olds ambassadors in that range, I prefer the older ones with the odd counterweight at the top of the tuning slide crook
blap73

Post by blap73 »

Check OfferUp and Facebook marketplace locally. You can see if it has good slide condition, and lots of times the prices are really attractive (and open to negotiation).

The 606 can be had that way, for a good one, under $200. A while back I got one, great slide, few dents, for well under $200.
Locally here - there's a Conn 18H director for $200,
a couple Jupiters under $200
and a King Cleveland (605) for $100
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

If you want something a bit bigger how about a Bach Mercedes? I don’t know about prices where you are but I’ve seen several here for <200€. Solidly built, beefy sound, more than decent all round for the cash. The slide on mine could be improved but is more than ok as a beater/backup.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Under $200 is probably not going to get you something you'll want to use. If you could bump that up, you might get a $400 24h, or an Olds Super. Nickel plated Tempos are supposedly great horns, and super cheap. Holton 65/stratodyne, Yamaha 651etc. I got lucky once with a $250 Wessex Urbie copy, which was a great horn.

Not that all those student horns won't work, but pro=level instruments are just nicer to play, and not that much more expensive.

When you're looking for something cheap, its best to be kind of opportunistic. Instead of looking for a specific model, look for your price, and make sure its "on the list" of acceptable models. And of course you're taking a chance on the quality if it's an ebay or craigslist item. At that price, a simple repair can easily double the cost of the instrument.
Last edited by hyperbolica on Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
blap73

Post by blap73 »

Or a Conn 4H for $200. See my other post on what a fair price would be for a 4H.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

The King Cleveland Superior, predecessor to the 605, is a decent playing horn, and is built very well. The only issue is the plating on the inners did not hold up well although it wears smoothly, not flaking off or "bubbly" like some of the old Yamahas. If kept clean with an occasional polish, the slide can still work great. (Full disclosure - I have one for sale but am in no hurry)
Another plus for a 2B owner is that the slide and bell are interchangable.
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

If you edge up more toward $300, there's also the Holton Galaxy, King Tempo and any number of small bore Bessons (underrated and underpriced in the US). I got a nearly perfect jazz Besson off eBay once for $150, no case. After a tech set up the slide I felt I could play that thing anywhere. Very sturdy, esp compared to Chinese models.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
rzeilinger

Post by rzeilinger »

I have several models and bore sizes to choose from at $150. Excellent working condition.

You pay shipping and i can have it to you right away.
Let me know if you are interested.

Ron
afugate

Post by afugate »

Mamaposaune wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:57 am The King Cleveland Superior, predecessor to the 605, is a decent playing horn, and is built very well. The only issue is the plating on the inners did not hold up well although it wears smoothly, not flaking off or "bubbly" like some of the old Yamahas. If kept clean with an occasional polish, the slide can still work great. (Full disclosure - I have one for sale but am in no hurry)
Another plus for a 2B owner is that the slide and bell are interchangable.
I agree. I really dig the Superior and they can be sound for dirt cheap.
--Andy in OKC
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Assuming Austin, TX:

https://austin.craigslist.org/search/ss ... llery~0~27

Under $200 looks possible. Definitely good enough for marching.
blap73

Post by blap73 »

Austinato ... did you find something?
Austinato

Post by Austinato »

blap73 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:42 pm Austinato ... did you find something?
I haven’t bought yet (waiting until the school year ends for people to post their horns after they drop band since I’m not in a rush) but I’m gonna go with a Yamaha 354 unless a great deal comes up
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

Austinato wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:56 am I haven’t bought yet (waiting until the school year ends for people to post their horns after they drop band since I’m not in a rush) but I’m gonna go with a Yamaha 354 unless a great deal comes up
I've found that usually results in mostly finding parents asking $700-800+ for student models for which they paid well north of $1000 new.

Yamaha 354s are a good choice, so are 352s. Older King 606s, 605s and Conn Directors are also consistently good in my experience. I've also played a couple Getzen student models which were surprisingly good as well. Can't recall the model name/number, but they had nickel slides.

Any pawn shops in your area? Could be a good source for one of the above which has been sitting in their stock room for years. Add in a ~$100 basic playability cleaning/dent work/slide alignment at your local shop and you'd be set.

Return to “Instruments”