Having trouble finding model on this "Martin" Trombone

Patthebaker727

Having trouble finding model on this "Martin" Trombone

Post by Patthebaker727 »

This horn is for sale near me, and I've wanted to start a collection and think this would be a good piece to start with considering the asking price.

The only thing the seller can find is the serial # and from it, I take that this is around 1920-22 (prior to Martin's incorperation acquisition in 1928)

Is anyone aware of the model by looks? or if anyone of note played these? Or if its worth playing today? It seems to be in very nice shape. Just trying to find some history to put in my tome. Thanks![
Briande

Re: Having trouble finding model on this "Martin" Trombone

Post by Briande »

I believe the model is the Indiana (engraved on the bell). Here is a previous thread you might find helpful: viewtopic.php?t=25153
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Briande wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:53 am I believe the model is the Indiana (engraved on the bell). Here is a previous thread you might find helpful: viewtopic.php?t=25153
Indiana is a much later model. This one looks a lot like my Imperial, except missing the bell lock and slide lock. Bell looks a little smaller than my Imperial -- is it 7" (178 mm)? Note that Indiana had an 8" (203 mm) bell.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Briande

Post by Briande »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:03 am
Briande wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:53 am I believe the model is the Indiana (engraved on the bell). Here is a previous thread you might find helpful: viewtopic.php?t=25153
Indiana is a much later model. This one looks a lot like my Imperial, except missing the bell lock and slide lock. Bell looks a little smaller than my Imperial -- is it 7" (178 mm)? Note that Indiana had an 8" (203 mm) bell.
Did you scroll though the pictures? It says "Indiana" on the bell.
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Interesting. My Indiana bell is much newer and has a very different engraving.

Models of the period you state are Dansant and Imperial. Later there was a Committee model (1940s). There was a designation of "Handcraft" (or Handkraft) to show a specially made instrument, although they still were Dansant or Imperial in addition.

There are 10 Martin trombones on www.Horn-u-copia.net. None of them are identified as Indiana, although one bears the inscription "The Indiana by Martin"
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Indiana Band Instrument Co.
1938-1948
Established by Fred A. Holtz, president of Martin Band Instrument Co.
Indiana Band Instrument seems to have been a separate company until they merged in 1942. "Indiana" was a model name, and then Martin used that name for their student instruments.

So that horn would have been made between 1938-1942

This information is from The New Langwill Index, which I think is accurate information. I don't know where you got those earlier dates.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Briande

Post by Briande »

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:05 pm Indiana Band Instrument Co.
1938-1948
Established by Fred A. Holtz, president of Martin Band Instrument Co.
Indiana Band Instrument seems to have been a separate company until they merged in 1942. "Indiana" was a model name, and then Martin used that name for their student instruments.

So that horn would have been made between 1938-1942

This information is from The New Langwill Index, which I think is accurate information. I don't know where you got those earlier dates.
Great history. Thanks!
JimmySlide

Post by JimmySlide »

Don’t know about yours, but i have a 1937 Martin Imperial that my dad’s mom bought him new in 1937 when he was in high school.

Return to “Instruments”