Olds Los Angeles #87xx Lacquer Question

mrshahsmusic

Olds Los Angeles #87xx Lacquer Question

Post by mrshahsmusic »

Hello!

I was able to acquire a Los Angeles Olds from a local thrift shop this morning! It's going to need a little work to bring it back to life (I've already emailed the Slide Doctor about a ding near 5th position that I'm hoping he can help with).

From what I've been able to tell so far, the horn is from 1934-35, 7" bell, medium bore, friction fit. It has a bear counterweight (the one that looks more like a squirrel with a megaphone). The lacquer is starting to crack and peel around the bell, which has a few dents in it, but those can be rolled out. Engraving says The Olds, F.E Olds & Son, Los Angeles, Calif.

Here's a link to some photos:https://photos.app.goo.gl/CnBeGgbyNrTHB8Uf6

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what to do about the bell. Do I have it stripped? Have it relacquered? I've never had that kind of work done on any of my horns, but I'm pretty smitten with this instrument and want to see it restored so I can put it to use. Will stripping the lacquer or having it relacquered diminish the engraving?

Thanks all!
Sue
Posaunus

Re: Olds Los Angeles #87xx Lacquer Question

Post by Posaunus »

Sue,

Instead of packing everything up and shipping to Georgia you might consider (depending on your location in New Hampshire) driving down to Osmun Music in Acton, Massachusetts. Excellent repair and restoration work, fair prices. Great people. You'll get good advice on what to do and its value.

By the way, that's no squirrel - It's A Bear!
mrshahsmusic

Post by mrshahsmusic »

Thanks for the advice!!
timbone

Post by timbone »

Dude, I have to say, I have the exact same instrument and mine is a lot darker than yours. My bell is brown. The horn has a dual bore nickel slide and has huge overtones. I’ve always wanted Doug Elliot to play it because he would make it scream. The bell taper is reminiscent of my old Holton single trigger bass I had. Reminds me of a Shelby Mustang!
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Now that's funny Tim. I'd love to try it.
Too bad, I'll be in Florida the middle of the month for a couple of gigs, but it's in Boca, not near you.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Looks like an early Super; they do play quite a bit differently from the tone-ring Super variants.

I leave the finish "as found" on all of my horns. Relacquering involves a certain amount of buffing; even the lightest touch will have some impact on the engraving.

Return to “Instruments”