Screw Bell Noise

Beanett

Screw Bell Noise

Post by Beanett »

I recently acquired Shire's Marshall Gilkes model trombone, which is utterly fantastic, and I noticed a decently loud noise coming from the bell flare when I thread the bell on. I've made sure to line the threads up correctly, and the horn is brand new, but are there any solutions?

I've read other threads about this, with each person having their own solution of a kind of lubricant, with the general census being applying graphite on the threads. What would be the best way to go about this to reduce the noise made when threading on the bell flare?
Burgerbob

Re: Screw Bell Noise

Post by Burgerbob »

I put some bearing oil on the threads.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Hetman 15 ball joint
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

Grab a pencil and trace along the threads. The graphite will stop the noise.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I was going to suggest candle wax.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
eatanick

Post by eatanick »

Pencil/graphite on clean threads works best for me. Waxes pill, and along with grease and oil they cause dirt to stick. That's what makes the threads noisy in my experience. Pencil is also much cleaner and easier to apply!
TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

I’m keen to try to the graphite now, too! Been using a single drop of valve oil every week or two but graphite seems much less messy/smelly
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

From a machining point of view, it's probably from chatter in the threading.. look closely at the threads on both sides with as much magnification as you can. If there are chatter marks, have a repair tech (or Shires) clean it up by using some fine grinding compound (toothpaste or brasso might be enough). Don't do it yourself unless you know what you're doing.

Lubrication will help the symptom (noise) but leave the problem (chatter marks).
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

This is admittedly the first time I hear of someone having these problems, but that is exactly the reason I am hesitant to get a screw bell. Seems like an easy fix though, so that is good.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Beanett wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:50 pm I recently acquired Shire's Marshall Gilkes model trombone, the horn is brand new, are there any solutions?
Has anybody given Shires an opportunity to remedy the problem ?
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

CharlieB wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:35 am
Beanett wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:50 pm I recently acquired Shire's Marshall Gilkes model trombone, the horn is brand new, are there any solutions?
Has anybody given Shires an opportunity to remedy the problem ?
It's not really a Shires issue to remedy- the threads just need something to keep them from squeaking a bit. Just normal maintenance.

I just tried a very small cork grease on mine the other (normally go with graphite as well) and that's actually worked really well.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

I took some brasso my threads a while ago and it helped immensely. I also regularly use a graphite pencil on the threads and they are totally silent, basically anytime I clean my slide, I do it.

Ymmv but, I had a colleague who plays horn have their threads lock up because they used tuning slide lube on it.
TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

Mine’s a BAC horn and I had no noise at all for the first year or so. I probably just need to clean the threads thoroughly tbh
nelson31

Post by nelson31 »

I used some brass polish on my noisy threads and they were very quiet after. It worked well with Weiman’s and Hope’s brands. Weiman’s is too expensive to buy now!

Return to “Instruments”