Counter weight issue

pickupleftoff

Counter weight issue

Post by pickupleftoff »

Hello,

I have had a hard time finding literature on counter weight installation and sizes. I have a closed wrap Courtois AC 440 that I would like to install an art we market counterweight on. I bought a generic one from Hickeys but it is slightly too big to fit on the tuning slide brace. Is there something I can put on the brace to fit it a bit more snugly? Are there standard sizes for counter weights? I've never had one before so I'm a bit lost.

Thanks!
LeoInFL

Re: Counter weight issue

Post by LeoInFL »

I've used aluminum foil with very good results. Just cut a strip (it doesn't have to match the counterweight exactly) and wrap it around the brace. No need to secure it with tape or anything. With a little trial and error, you will find out the correct length of foil to use for a secure fit.
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-2023)
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

PTFE tape, the thicker stuff for gas connections (usually around 0.2mm) is ideal
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Needs a split bushing. There are websites with thousands of them so that you can search by inner and outer diameter. If you're lucky a well stocked hardware store may have one the right size or close enough, then saw in half. Look for bronze, as aluminum can make a frightful reaction with the brass.

Return to “Accessories”