Not fully screwed in valve bracing

BassBoneWaluigi

Not fully screwed in valve bracing

Post by BassBoneWaluigi »

On my Getzen 3062, the screws on the bracing do not look fully screwed in, yet I can not get them to keep turning. Is this an issue with the horn, or just how it is supposed to be?

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burgerbob

Re: Not fully screwed in valve bracing

Post by Burgerbob »

If the braces meet, then it's no big deal
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Personally, I’d take it to a tech to ensure it was all properly aligned. It’s probably fine but getting everything lined Sp well typically makes an instrument play better
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Matt K wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:18 pm Personally, I’d take it to a tech to ensure it was all properly aligned. It’s probably fine but getting everything lined Sp well typically makes an instrument play better
No need for a tech to check. Just unscrew the nut and see if the braces meet up correctly.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

My shires also has this, you can always have a tech see if they’re out of alignment or not matching
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:25 pm
Matt K wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:18 pm Personally, I’d take it to a tech to ensure it was all properly aligned. It’s probably fine but getting everything lined Sp well typically makes an instrument play better
No need for a tech to check. Just unscrew the nut and see if the braces meet up correctly.
Perhaps, but I've had several parts that fit as described way and a couple seconds of torch time got it that last 1% in alignment before and it felt like the heavens opening up. Could just be placebo.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Not just a placebo! Most people assume that the high-end modular horns (Shires and Edwards in particular) are completely stress-free in their construction. I have seen many with braces that were not lining up properly. Making those braces line up perfectly and allowing those threaded connectors to hold things together with zero stress makes a huge difference. It can turn a lemon into a top-notch instrument.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

So… the threads there are not the functional part. Ask yourself “how does this work”? The inside bottom of the nut pulls the brace against the socket. You want the threads you can see there to be extra so that you NEVER bottom out on the threads and the nut can do its’ job.

Cheers,
Andy
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

The nut really should not “pull” the two parts of the brace together. If it does, that will create tension and stress. The two parts of each brace (if perfectly aligned) should touch each other gently and be perfectly centered without the nut. The nut simply prevents any lateral movement or rattle sounds of the connecting parts.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

☝️
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:06 am The nut really should not “pull” the two parts of the brace together. If it does, that will create tension and stress. The two parts of each brace (if perfectly aligned) should touch each other gently and be perfectly centered without the nut. The nut simply prevents any lateral movement or rattle sounds of the connecting parts.
Yes, in engineering terms, there will be tension and stress. That’s how threaded fasteners, or any rotationally secured fastener works. Proper alignment prevents excessive tension and stress, but screws/nuts/bolts do not work without some level of stress. It creates a ‘spring’ where you are generally stretching the bolt (usually elastically).

But I agree they should line up nicely before tightening so that you aren’t trying to close a large gap with the nut. In addition to putting more stress on the structure, that will also rob the joint of clamp load and it will come apart a lot easier for the same given level of torque.

Cheers,
Andy
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Andy….you are exactly correct. Your point is the reason why some techs and players prefer the non-modular construction of a trombone.
BassBoneWaluigi

Post by BassBoneWaluigi »

K so nothing to worry about, thanks so much
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Maybe. Maybe not.

If you undo the nut, is there a gap between the threaded stud and the brace rod? Do they align correctly?
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Blabberbucket

Post by Blabberbucket »

If there are no odd vibrations or buzzing when playing the horn, I wouldn't be concerned about this. It's the nature of modular horns, and I don't see anything unusual about the way the threaded braces fit together in your photos.

If you want to go down a rabbit hole of precision fit on modular horns, take it to a tech that is very comfortable with these types of instruments and expect to pay a bit to remedy assembly-line fit issues. If you're happy with how the horn plays and there are no odd vibrations or issues, leave it alone and get back to practicing.
David Paul - Brass Repair/Manufacture

Return to “Maintenance”