Coronation- what are these?

SimmonsTrombone

Coronation- what are these?

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

Here’s Andrew Lloyd Webber’s piece being recorded. What are these brass instruments that resemble trombones? From the posts here, I thought all our UK brethren played Elkhart 88hs (as I do).
BGuttman

Re: Coronation- what are these?

Post by BGuttman »

Nice piece by Sir Andrew. Looks like they used a set of Fanfare brass (trumpets and trombones, based on apparent length). The Fanfare instruments can hve royal banners hung from the extended bells.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
afugate

Post by afugate »

Here's another video clip where he discusses the fanfare trumpets.

--Andy in OKC
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

The RAF fanfare team did an outstanding job, they where heavily featured throughout the coronation service,and I believe they are the Smith-Watkins fanfare trumpets and trombones and they had the RAF fanfare banners attached to them and the added weight makes them very front heavy when playing whilst standing to attention and wearing headdress.

FYI the bass fanfare trombone is in G

www.smithwatkins.com
EdwardSolomon

Post by EdwardSolomon »

Vegasbound wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:20 am FYI the bass fanfare trombone is in G
Not any longer. It's now in B flat/F like a trombone. It's also wide bore, making it easier to play. Fanfare trumpets included Jonathan Hill (1st tenor), Matthew Edwardson (2nd tenor), and Josh Hayward (bass). Sometimes Adam Smith is on bass fanfare trumpet, but he was in the band this time. In the YouTube video posted above, Adam is on bass fanfare trumpet.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

EdwardSolomon wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:26 am
Vegasbound wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:20 am FYI the bass fanfare trombone is in G
Not any longer. It's now in B flat/F like a trombone. It's also wide bore, making it easier to play. Fanfare trumpets included Jonathan Hill (1st tenor), Matthew Edwardson (2nd tenor), and Josh Hayward (bass). Sometimes Adam Smith is on bass fanfare trumpet, but he was in the band this time. In the YouTube video posted above, Adam is on bass fanfare trumpet.
Ahh, many years since I had to play the old boosey fanfare trombones
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

As a side responsibility in The U.S. Army Band, I played "G" Bass Herald Trumpet in the ensemble led by Captain Gilbert Mitchell. Ours were the Boosey & Hawkes early models and were not exactly what would be called "Premiere Quality" instruments. Difficult to play well but the showy dazzle and lightweight silk "tabards" covered up most of the deficiencies ! I'm glad to hear that Smith-Watkins has taken the necessary steps to improve the breed.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

As mentioned by bobone, usually called "herald trumpets."
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:45 pm As mentioned by bobone, usually called "herald trumpets."
In the Uk fanfare trumpets
fsgazda

Post by fsgazda »

2bobone wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:38 pm As a side responsibility in The U.S. Army Band, I played "G" Bass Herald Trumpet in the ensemble led by Captain Gilbert Mitchell. Ours were the Boosey & Hawkes early models and were not exactly what would be called "Premiere Quality" instruments. Difficult to play well but the showy dazzle and lightweight silk "tabards" covered up most of the deficiencies ! I'm glad to hear that Smith-Watkins has taken the necessary steps to improve the breed.

I have a friend who was in the US Army Band herald trumpets for many years. they're still going strong:

Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

The fanfare players sounded incredible. Having spent some time on fanfare instruments over the years, they are quite a unique beast, so playing them as spectacularly as they did in such a high exposure event was impressive.

There is an art to playing these horns. You need to give in to them in many ways. The bell being so far from your head is the first thing to overcome; it can be easy to overblow at first. The physical balance of the instrument with banner attached requires real effort to hold, especially given the ceremonial requirements to keep the instrument largely horizontal and still. And the low fanfare instruments don't sound like trombones no matter how you blow them, which some players struggle with. You need to give in to their trumpet-like tendencies, and be ok with the lack of width and weight in the bass sound. Focus on projecting rather than being the bottom of a pyramid.

A Smith-Watkins bass fanfare trumpet, with a 4th Hagmann valve, is easily the least comfortable instrument I've ever had the displeasure to perform on. Hard to focus on musicality when you're so focused on simply holding up the instrument.

Andrew
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

How great to hear from some folks with experience on these cantankerous instruments ! They [the Boosey & Hawkes models] were so frustrating to play that another "G" Bass player in TUSAB [Jack Boyle] and I decided to have some fun. We were scheduled to play a "Tattoo" performance and decided that we'd try to see which one of us could play the loudest ! We directed the output of our efforts directly at the head of the director of the group, Captain Gilbert Mitchell [whom both of us really admired ----- a trumpeter who had studied with Earnest Williams] and let the sparks fly ! It was one of the most illuminating experiences I ever had regarding the logistics of playing at extreme dynamics ! I learned more about that technique in those three hours than I learned from that point forwards. I hope never to have to attempt to blow another "G" Bass Herald Trumpet ---- and at my age I may see a clear path forward to that aim !

Return to “Performance”