Conn 3 Mouthpiece Size?

Austinato

Conn 3 Mouthpiece Size?

Post by Austinato »

I recently bought a used trombone and it came with a "Conn 3" mouthpiece. I found a listing on Ebay of the same one but I don't see any information on google that show anything about the actual cup size/depth or any other specifics. Does anyone know what this would be comparable to size-wise or have any actual measurements?

This is the Ebay listing
https://www.ebay.com/itm/132841997606?m ... media=COPY
Doug Elliott

Re: Conn 3 Mouthpiece Size?

Post by Doug Elliott »

.99 inside, with a very V shaped cup.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I've had a couple of Conn 3 mouthpieces. My measurements (probably not as accurate as Doug Elliott's):
.. Cup I.D.: 25.35mm / 0.998" | Throat: 6.35mm / 0.250" | Cup: rather V-shaped
.... Compare to (but different from due to cup & rim shape, & probably backbore): Bach 6½AM, Curry 6M
...... This mouthpiece actually works pretty well with older small-bore Conn trombones (30H, 40H, even 6H & 48H)

Not worth $95!
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

When I started at 8 years old my first mouthpiece was a Conn 3 on an Olds Recording. After a few years I got a Bach 6-1/2AL and it definitely felt bigger. A V cup will always feel smaller, and I take that into account in measuring the size where I think you would feel it.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Austinato

Post by Austinato »

Posaunus wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:43 pm I've had a couple of Conn 3 mouthpieces. My measurements (probably not as accurate as Doug Elliott's):
.. Cup I.D.: 25.35mm / 0.998" | Throat: 6.35mm / 0.250" | Cup: rather V-shaped
.... Compare to (but different from due to cup & rim shape, & probably backbore): Bach 6½AM, Curry 6M
...... This mouthpiece actually works pretty well with older small-bore Conn trombones (30H, 40H, even 6H & 48H)

Not worth $95!
Oh I got the whole trombone for $100 with the mouthpiece for free, I'm not spending $95 on just the mouthpiece lol. Thanks for the help
Austinato

Post by Austinato »

Doug Elliott wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:32 am When I started at 8 years old my first mouthpiece was a Conn 3 on an Olds Recording. After a few years I got a Bach 6-1/2AL and it definitely felt bigger. A V cup will always feel smaller, and I take that into account in measuring the size where I think you would feel it.
When I play it back to back with the Griego 6.5 I normally play on, it feels way smaller. Still a great backup/lead alternative for me though, thanks for the help.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

It seems like no two people measure mouthpiece inner rim diameters the same, so it's hard to get good comparative numbers. With the two mouthpieces in my hands, I measure the Conn 3 rim to be very close to a Bach 12, albeit a different contour. The bore, though, is larger on the Conn; Bach 12= 0.227", and Conn 3= 0.250".
Compared to the Griego 6.5 ? The Conn is smaller in all respects.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

CharlieB wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:00 am It seems like no two people measure mouthpiece inner rim diameters the same, so it's hard to get good comparative numbers. With the two mouthpieces in my hands, I measure the Conn 3 rim to be very close to a Bach 12, albeit a different contour.
All the Conn 3 mouthpieces (though they do differ) that I have measured are bigger than any Bach 12 I have seen (also variable). Drop a quarter (U.S. 25¢ coin) into the cup and you'll see the difference.
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

I’ve owned a Conn 3 that felt a lot like a Schilke 50 (their 6 1/2) and one that was more like a flatter 7C, but I’d say most of them measure at about 25mm (6 3/4 or Schilke 47.)
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

All the Conn 3 mouthpieces (though they do differ) that I have measured are bigger than any Bach 12 I have seen (also variable). Drop a quarter (U.S. 25¢ coin) into the cup and you'll see the difference.
Thank you for your input. I have double checked as you suggested.
I can't speak for all the manufacturing variations of either Conn or Bach over the years, but the examples in my collection are extremely close to the same rim size, whether measured with calipers or 25 cent coins.
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

I thought Conn 3 was around 25.15mm (.99 in), so almost a Bach 6 5/8 (imaginary!) in size. The Yamaha Landgren is advertised as 25.2, so a true 6 5/8, but with a pretty uncomfortable rim contour.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Reedman1 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:24 pm I thought Conn 3 was around 25.15mm (.99 in), so almost a Bach 6 5/8 (imaginary!) in size. The Yamaha Landgren is advertised as 25.2, so a true 6 5/8, but with a pretty uncomfortable rim contour.
Yup. I just checked a Conn 3 I was given by a friend (mouthpiece was old & worn, it came with a used trombone he bought), and - as near as I can measure - the cup I.D. is indeed about 25.15mm.
Apparently, they're all a little different.
But you'd never confuse it with a Bach mouthpiece - very different cup shape (and different rim too).
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:39 pm
Reedman1 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:24 pm I thought Conn 3 was around 25.15mm (.99 in), so almost a Bach 6 5/8 (imaginary!) in size. The Yamaha Landgren is advertised as 25.2, so a true 6 5/8, but with a pretty uncomfortable rim contour.
Yup. I just checked a Conn 3 I was given by a friend (mouthpiece was old & worn, it came with a used trombone he bought), and - as near as I can measure - the cup I.D. is indeed about 25.15mm.
Apparently, they're all a little different.
But you'd never confuse it with a Bach mouthpiece - very different cup shape (and different rim too).
Exactly!
pjanda1

Post by pjanda1 »

I've got two. They are a bit deeper than what I need on small bore, but both play really well. I like them on my 32H. Not the sort of sound I'm looking for on my 24H. Though mine are in the same size range, they have flatter rims than a 6 1/2 A/AL, which is great for me. I think they are underrated and would make a great "all around" mouthpiece for someone doing everything on a .500 or .508 horn (students included). They look cool, too!

Paul
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

The Conn 3 Was Rob McConnell`s Mouthpiece of choice
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I don't look much at figures when I try mouthpieces. I basically group them on how they feel. I have found that mouthpieces close to a Bach 11C is the best fit for me on small bores and other mouthpiecs close to that. This means I have a group of mouthpieces that I catagorize as Bach 11C-ish The ones included are just based on what the mouthpiece feels to play. The Conn 3 is a mouthpiece that feels rather alike, just a tad larger, same with a Bach 6 3/4C, and there are many other good mouthpieces that are close enough to give the same feel. The Nils Landgren is another one, just a tad larger. It is what I primarily use. A Conn 3 is my backup mouthpiece, very comfortable. I always have a Conn 3 in the case. It's a real good one.
Just to give a hint I do not think of a 6 1/2 AL in that group. It has a rim that feel about the same but something in the cup/backbore makes it too different. The same with a Bach 12C. The contour of that rim makes it to different. To me all the nouthpieces that I categorize as Bach 11C-ish are interchangeable for me. This means I could switch between them without anything feeling awkward.

If you look at figures you probably categorize them differently, but I think this way to categorize is far better if I have to describe mouthpieces and help friends with advice on mouthpieces. My current colletion consists of more than 100 mouthpieces

/Tom
Olofson

Post by Olofson »

I used to play on Conn 6h long time ago. The Conn 3 worked very good for me on that horn.

Return to “Mouthpieces”