Best back up mouthpiece

Geordie

Best back up mouthpiece

Post by Geordie »

Been using a Doug Elliot set up for a while now and love it. The set up is: XT 102 Rim; XT D Cup; and D3 shank. Using on my King 3B or 3B+ in the main.
I’m convinced it will be a long while before I need to buy another mouthpiece. However, I have just realized I don’t have a back up if this is lost or damaged :horror: . That’s why I’m looking for an off the shelf, probably used, piece I could use as a back up pending ordering a replacement if my current set up is lost or damaged. I’m looking at a Wick 6BS on line. Any thoughts on what a serviceable temporary back up might be?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
flyingcow

Re: Best back up mouthpiece

Post by flyingcow »

I've got a 5BS. Rim's a bit narrower than the LT102 I have, and cup is definitely deeper than the F I got, so it's both smaller and bigger!
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

7cs will give you the D cup depth but only an lt100 rim

6bs is deeper, so smaller rim deeper cup you could try a Yamaha 52 but again deeper but right rim size, same with 4bs , Bach 4? (There is one for sale on eBay)

Best thing is ask Doug for an off the shelf equivalent, if there is one.
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

Bite the bullet and just order another of what you've got!
Or try getting one 2nd hand.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Someone had been asking bout the Yamaha 52 Small shank, and that might fit the bill. Same cup diameter, small shank, and relatively inexpensive.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Vegasbound wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:42 am Bach 4? (There is one for sale on eBay)

Best thing is ask Doug for an off the shelf equivalent, if there is one.
You have a great setup for your King 3Bs.

Bach 4 has much too small throat (5.85mm) and backbore.

Doug Elliott's a great guy, and surely would provide you with best "off-the-shelf" comparables. (None would be "equivalent.")
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Obviously the best is another of the same.

But FWIW I'm in the UK and have a couple of 102-sized things that would be cheaper - a Klier copy of a MV Bach 4C, or a Warburton setup that in DE terms would be closest to a 102/C/C3 situation. For the 3B I'd recommend the Warburton. Also a Schilke 52, which is more 103/E territory but would be fine in the 3B+. They're all in more-or-less perfect shape and sitting unused.

Send me a PM if that's of any interest.
Last edited by ithinknot on Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I just realized now that you're in the UK. Still, rethinking things, I think the best back up is always a second "identical" mouthpiece. When did you get your current Doug Elliott setup? I know he made a bunch of tweaks during the pandemic, particularly on the shanks.

My main mouthpiece on tenor is a Laskey 59MD, so I also have a second. And a 59D for 2nd trombone parts. I won't talk about how many bass trombone mouthpieces i have.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yeah why would you buy a backup that is different from what you usually play? If the plan is to buy a cheap mouthpiece so that you can play while you still have to order a new version of what you like, then you're still out the price of the cheap mouthpiece.
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

How often do you lose or damage a mouthpiece? I have never lost one and haven’t damaged one since high school.
And I wouldn’t want something that was worse to go to if needed? This situation seems weird but hey spend your money how you want :)
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I can see wanting a backup. Minick, for example, doesn't make mouthpieces anymore so maybe you would have been wise to get two back when he was around and making them. The worst situation would be to lose your mouthpiece or have your gear stolen and then that's it, gone forever.

But buying some piece you don't even want to play makes no sense.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

I take the points about pieces being rarely lost or damaged. Seems sensible to me however, to have a back up in case the unlikely worst case happens. I’m not convinced that getting an expensive duplicate back up that might/probably never be used is sensible. My intention would be to immediately order a duplicate but needing to recognize I could need a stop gap between placing the order and the DE replacement getting to me in UK. Grateful for all the comments and suggestions, I’ll ask Doug to see what he suggests too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Quick and dirty solution? Bach 4C. Roughly the same rim diameter; a little deeper than a D cup; Shank fits a 3B. Relatively cheap (compared to a full Doug system). Perfect? No. Adequate? Only you can decide.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

You will better appreciate mine if you have to play on something else while you wait. :horror: :mrgreen: :clever:
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Geordie wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:38 am I take the points about pieces being rarely lost or damaged. Seems sensible to me however, to have a back up in case the unlikely worst case happens. I’m not convinced that getting an expensive duplicate back up that might/probably never be used is sensible. My intention would be to immediately order a duplicate but needing to recognize I could need a stop gap between placing the order and the DE replacement getting to me in UK. Grateful for all the comments and suggestions, I’ll ask Doug to see what he suggests too.
In this case, just use what came in the case when you bought it.

FWIW, mouthpieces don't last forever. Even face stubble will eventually wear down the rim. The backup duplicate would be valuable
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:56 am Quick and dirty solution? Bach 4C. Roughly the same rim diameter; a little deeper than a D cup; Shank fits a 3B. Relatively cheap (compared to a full Doug system). Perfect? No. Adequate? Only you can decide.
I can't see Geordie being happy with a Bach 4C for his King 3B / 3B+.
His Doug Elliott setup: XT 102 Rim (~25.9mm I.D.); XT D Cup (~6.20mm Throat); D3 Shank (appropriate Backbore for 0.508" bore trombones).
Bach 4C: Nominal 26.00 Cup I.D. [I believe the 4C cup is actually shallower than the Doug Elliott D cup - is that correct, Doug?]; 5.85mm Throat; #402 Backbore. I think Geordie would find the Bach 4C Throat/Backbore too tight for his playing.

If I really wanted an off-the-shelf mouthpiece to have in reserve while my lost/damaged Doug Elliott setup is being replaced, I'd probably look for a TromboneChat member to sell me, at a reasonable price, a used Josef Klier 5C, a Hammond Design 11ML, a Marcinkiewicz 9B (B Stroup), or an old Schilke 52. Of course they'll all still be different, but might be more suitable. :idk:

Return to “Mouthpieces”