Doug Elliot mouthpiece help

Jazzbonemaster

Doug Elliot mouthpiece help

Post by Jazzbonemaster »

Hello everyone. Looking for some insight on Doug Elliott mouthpieces. I’am not familiar with the mouthpieces but would love to try. I’am looking for a mouthpiece that will match well with my King 2b (mouthpiece is a Holton 6 1/2 AL that came with the horn) that I just acquired. I play everything from pop, salsa, big band and combo settings. I’am looking for a DE mouthpiece setup that is versatile. Something that will give my sound an edge (especially in the upper registers) while playing Pop and Salsa and also give me a smooth silky sound when playing in big band and especially combo settings. I also do a lot of soloing in the big band and combo settings. A mouthpiece that is even across all registers is a must. Any help would be appreciated.
BGuttman

Re: Doug Elliot mouthpiece help

Post by BGuttman »

Doug makes a 3 part mouthpiece: a rim, a cup, and a shank. There are several different series, but of interest to you would be Small Tenor (ST), Medium Tenor (MT), Large Tenor (LT) and Extreme Tenor (XT). For what you play, if you do a lot of high work the Small or Medium Tenor may be OK, while most of us use Large Tenor (and those who need more cup volume use Extreme Tenor).

If you like the 6.5 AL size rim, that is a 100 in Elliott size. A Bach 5 is around a 101, and a Bach 4 is a 102. The 99, 98, and 97 are popular among players who like Bach 11 sizes.

There are a series of cup sizes ranging from A to J. An A cup is VERY shallow, while a J cup is really intended for bass trombone. Most of us seem to like cups in the C-E range for a horn like a King 2B. You will need a shank matched to the cup size so the overall length matches, but the 2 backbore seems to work best with horns like the King 2B.

Doug may be unavailable over the next few days, but a short conversation with him will help dial in the exact combination that is best for you.

Nice thing about the DE system is that you can swap out parts if your needs vary. For section playing you might prefer a deeper cup (E) while for lead you might want a shallower cup (C).

For what it's worth, I use an LT 102 E / E3 for most of my small bore playing (lead, section, concert band, Dixieland band), but you may want to tailor your setup differently.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

http://www.dougelliottmouthpieces.com

send him a PM here if you have questions. He's easy to deal with. He makes Great stuff.
Steve
Jazzbonemaster

Post by Jazzbonemaster »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:34 pm Doug makes a 3 part mouthpiece: a rim, a cup, and a shank. There are several different series, but of interest to you would be Small Tenor (ST), Medium Tenor (MT), Large Tenor (LT) and Extreme Tenor (XT). For what you play, if you do a lot of high work the Small or Medium Tenor may be OK, while most of us use Large Tenor (and those who need more cup volume use Extreme Tenor).

If you like the 6.5 AL size rim, that is a 100 in Elliott size. A Bach 5 is around a 101, and a Bach 4 is a 102. The 99, 98, and 97 are popular among players who like Bach 11 sizes.

There are a series of cup sizes ranging from A to J. An A cup is VERY shallow, while a J cup is really intended for bass trombone. Most of us seem to like cups in the C-E range for a horn like a King 2B. You will need a shank matched to the cup size so the overall length matches, but the 2 backbore seems to work best with horns like the King 2B.

Doug may be unavailable over the next few days, but a short conversation with him will help dial in the exact combination that is best for you.

Nice thing about the DE system is that you can swap out parts if your needs vary. For section playing you might prefer a deeper cup (E) while for lead you might want a shallower cup (C).

For what it's worth, I use an LT 102 E / E3 for most of my small bore playing (lead, section, concert band, Dixieland band), but you may want to tailor your setup differently.
Thanks for the information BGuttman
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I already replied to your email and found you on YouTube, but for the benefit of others, it helps to tell me what you've been using, and if I can see you play. A great mouthpiece for one player could be a disaster for another.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Jazzbonemaster

Post by Jazzbonemaster »

Doug Elliott wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:23 pm I already replied to your email and found you on YouTube, but for the benefit of others, it helps to tell me what you've been using, and if I can see you play. A great mouthpiece for one player could be a disaster for another.
Hi Doug I replied to the email with all of the info. Thank you

Return to “Mouthpieces”