Yamaha Silent Brass PM5x // Best Brass e-Brass III

SubK

Yamaha Silent Brass PM5x // Best Brass e-Brass III

Post by SubK »

Three weeks ago I once again ripped the mute from my Yamaha Silent Brass out of the trombone, because I got stuck somewhere in my small study with the cable. The mute hit the floor directly with the plug, ramming out the entire inside, including the microphone.

So I ordered a new PM-5X from Thomann, 149€. A lot of money...

On this occasion it occurred to me to order the Best Brass e-Brass III as well, so that I could compare the two. Thomann offers a very faier return policy if not satisfied.

Well then: There I had now both systems and could compare.

Yamaha PM-5X: 158 grams
Best e-Brass. 120 grams (already including 2x AAA batteries!)

The Yamaha amplifier is separate from the mute and holds 2 AA Batteries which in my experience last very long, around approximately 4+ hours.

How strong the two mutes work you can hear under the following link. Please forgive my miserable playing, but the result counts ;-D I play the same phrase (more or less) and recorded on a Zoom H2N while playing the two mutes (first the Yamaha, then the Best Brass).

https://c.web.de/@337858395241448274/a4 ... 8XUvQM3Xlg

In another sound file I recorded what I heard via the headphones of the Yamaha. Unfortunately, I could not do the same with the BB, the input signal was just too weak. I ran the headphone signal through a small Behringer mixer into my tablet and recorded with Audacity. I tried around quite a bit, but couldn't get a decent signal.

There are also photos with a direct size comparison of the two dampers. Both fit quite good in the bell so you can take them along in the case quite good.

The Yamaha is not as responsive as the BB, but the damping is better. Subjectively, I would say the Yamaha is almost half as loud.

Furthermore a photo of my new Yamaha mute with some improvised shock absorbers :-D Because every now and then I pluck the mute out of the trombone because the cable gets stuck somewhere, or the mute loses grip in the bell because of the condensation. And if the mute falls out it falls almost inevitably on the plug. Effect: Described above. Costs: High!

I almost forgot: Echo / Reverb: Yamaha offers two settings. The first setting is good, not too dry, not too much. The second setting is just not usable. Unless you prefer the sound of a very very very big cathedral! -- On the BB, without reverb, the sound is somewhat like playing into a cardboard box. Reverb turned up to 40% (the reverb is continuously variable), then its ok. But if I turn it up over 50%, then it hisses and moreover the sound becomes weird.

My conclusion: Yamaha Silent Brass is my favorite. It would be great if Yamaha could decide to deliver a usable second setting for reverb. The system is now already a few years on the market.
Meng

Re: Yamaha Silent Brass PM5x // Best Brass e-Brass III

Post by Meng »

Thanks for your share.

I booked one SB5J from amazon.
There is the PM5X-2 (for Trombone, Bass trombone).
The new processor looks more interesting and prompted me to make this decision.

Btw, I got the ZOOM UAC-232 from amazon this week, which is the 32 bit float audio interface.
I am new to recording, hope the 32bit float might make it easier to handle the high sound pressure level.
OompaLoompia

Post by OompaLoompia »

Meng wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:02 am Thanks for your share.

I booked one SB5J from amazon.
There is the PM5X-2 (for Trombone, Bass trombone).
The new processor looks more interesting and prompted me to make this decision.

Btw, I got the ZOOM UAC-232 from amazon this week, which is the 32 bit float audio interface.
I am new to recording, hope the 32bit float might make it easier to handle the high sound pressure level.
How’s the SB5J compared to the previous model? That came out this year right? Do you think it’s worth the upgrade?
1947 King 2B Silvertone
1949 King 2B Liberty
1978 King 3BF
Getzen Eterna 1047F
1976 Olds O-21 Flugabone
ryebrye

Post by ryebrye »

I'm curious if the new system is both the mute and the belt pack thing? Does the old mute work with the new amp? (The additional ring to work with a bass trombone is also nice)
OompaLoompia

Post by OompaLoompia »

I believe the pickup mute is the same and will work with the new amp. It seems like the only thing separating the previous pickup from the newest one is the bass trombone ring.
1947 King 2B Silvertone
1949 King 2B Liberty
1978 King 3BF
Getzen Eterna 1047F
1976 Olds O-21 Flugabone
Meng

Post by Meng »

I don't have the previous model and experience. My friend has one.

When I connect the STJ to my Mac mini by usb, there are 2 channels input and output with 16bit 48kHz.

I think the reverb dial is very useful, because I did adjust the reverb effect level to find out the better sound what I like frequently.

My friend told me there was no microphone on his earphones.
I can use the microphone on the earphones in the SB5J pachage or my Bose QC20 to record my voice to my Mac mini through usb, even when I turn off the STJ. But I don't know the purpose and function of this micphone.

You could find out some info from the STJ Owner's Manual.
There is microphone volume control on the STJ to adjust the microphone volume of the attached earphones with microphone connected to the headset jack. The microphone sound of the stereo earphone with microphone is output only to USB Audio.

I think the player sound mode is better to practice.

Btw, the headphone amplifier or the condenser microphone performance of the pickup mute PM5X-2 may not be very good. When I turn up the volume, there is obvious pink or white noise, which sounds like the air in the pipe, although it does not affect the use.

fyi.

Return to “Accessories”